• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am Tsalagi

elmarna

WALK IN BEAUTY MY FRIEND!
May the great spirit send you the gifts you need as you travel through life!!!!!!!!!!!

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Just wanted to say that the language appears beautiful; wish I knew how to pronunciate it correctly in my head :p
LOL... me too! :D

I only know a few words here and there and there are two major dialects (Eastern and Western) that have slightly different pronunciations. But generally, once you know the basic syllable pronounciation it's really easy. Since is a syllable based language it's written as it sounds.

It is a beautiful language, without a lot of the harsh sounds in English. It's also really beautiful written properly.

600px-Cherokee_Syllabary.svg.png

"V" is actually an "uh" sound like in "huh".

wa:do

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
It was hard to get it working on a printing press though.
What is really amazing is that the Syllabary was officially adopted in 1825 and by 1828 there was a 90% literacy rate in it's use. It was the fastest adoption of a written language system in history.

wa:do

Somerled32

Traveler~ 2B1ASK1
I've always loves the Syllabary! My wife and I lived in Oklahoma for a year (that's where she's from) and the optometrist in the next town had a Cherokee eye chart in the lobby, I thought that was kind of cool.
I was also very interested in Native American spirituality from a very early age.

Welcome To RF, TsalagiElder!

Faxecura

Welcome, Tsalagi.

I have always been interested in Native American languages, particularly because they are so different from the languages I know (mainly English, French, and Japanese).