• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am worried about joining the UU

Excaliber

Hello

I have been going to the LDS church for over a year and it disapoints me when I see hypocrosy. The UU church is said to welcome all on a journey of truth. However what if a new comer is African American...... mabey even the only one or two in attendance?

I am not accusing..... just expresing concern because of the experiences I have had in the LDS church.

Excaliber

I have done a lot of research on line, I have also watched several sermons on YouTube and I have all but fallen in love with your church. I will try to visit this sunday.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
In my experience, UU congregations are the most welcoming and inclusive of all.

Ditto. Granted each congregation is different, but none of the three I've attended have had even a hint of racism or religious intolerance.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I feel you ought to meet zero resistance to you being there based on where you came from or the colour of your skin.

I hope you enjoy yourself there.
Keep us posted :)

Excaliber

I went to the UU church today, I actually enjoyed it. I like to avoid the uncomfortable part which is being in a social setting where I know absolutely knowone, So I came in 3 minutes late so I could go straight to my seat. Then I left 4 minutes early so im not standing around a bunch of people I dont know.... AWKWARD! !!! LOL

I realy enjoyed the service and I am going to call the church to see if they have like a beginner class

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I went to the UU church today, I actually enjoyed it. I like to avoid the uncomfortable part which is being in a social setting where I know absolutely knowone, So I came in 3 minutes late so I could go straight to my seat. Then I left 4 minutes early so im not standing around a bunch of people I dont know.... AWKWARD! !!! LOL

I realy enjoyed the service and I am going to call the church to see if they have like a beginner class

Nothing wrong with wading in slowly :)
Glad you felt okay and compelled to check back in with them.

There are loads of educational opportunities at the UU churches I have gone to.
I'm sure you won't have any trouble getting a hold of something to read,
classes to take or even getting personal time with the minister to speak a little.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Coffee hour is good times, but I can understand the over whelmingness of it as well, especially if it's a busy one. Hope next week you make it :D

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Why are there not more UU? It seems that a faith that accepts everyone would attract a ton of people??
Many people like to feel unique and special. They like to feel their way is the only way, and anyone who does not believe as they do is "damned" or "lost". They get a sense of self-worth by attempting to "save" others.

At least that is how I see it.

Why are there not more UU? It seems that a faith that accepts everyone would attract a ton of people??

tumbleweed is correct. Heck, even the secular humanist group that I visited once also likes to feel similarly. Just come whenever you feel comfortable in doing so! :) You just might find a loving home. As far as I know, it is the only religion that does not claim exclusivity to truth, but that truth comes in many forms for each and every individual. :D

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
tumbleweed speaks rightly.

I believe there are many more UUs out there than the official count :)

applewuud

Good question. A lot of people (200,000 if you believe the polls) call themselves UUs but aren't official members. Life in any religious organization has its demands, and many freethinkers don't like being part of an organization. They figure their faith is an individual matter, don't think there's any point to going to a church on Sunday.

Many people looking for a faith want a very complete, detailed picture of "the right answers", and find it difficult to have the responsibility for searching for the truth put back on their shoulders, which is what UUs do.

Looking at our own shortcomings, some people complain they can't get from Unitarian Universalism what they need in the sense of security and connection with a higher power that more orthodox faiths offer with their ceremonies and rituals and teachings. They like Unitarianism in theory, but it doesn't give them enough "juice" as its practiced. But as you'll see in this forum, there are a wide variety of UU societies, some of which are "juicier" than others.

Last edited:

Excaliber

I appreciate your answers, to many times I have joined churches only to leave do to a lack of understanding.

Big question here....... is it possible for people with opposite beliefs to worship together?
Christian and satanist or islam and hindu. Isnt against some of these religions to unify with other religions? But the UU believe that all can worship under one roof?

And finally, how dose the UU Church keep people from being openly intolerant in there churches? What happens when someone says they dont accept gays and arguments break out. Is that person expelled from the UU church? Dose the UU Church have the power to enforce its own 7 principles?

Forgive me but this church looks to good to be true.

I appreciate your answers, to many times I have joined churches only to leave do to a lack of understanding.

Big question here....... is it possible for people with opposite beliefs to worship together?
Christian and satanist or islam and hindu. Isnt against some of these religions to unify with other religions? But the UU believe that all can worship under one roof?

Hey there Excaliber! Haribol!

My boyfriend is an atheist. I consider myself culturally Christian, but religiously a Vaishnava Hindu (I consider myself a UU Hindu). Yet both of us share the same Unitarian religion, come to worship together, and share the same values only hinted in the Seven Principles. We even light our own little Chalice at home and recite Chalice lightings as a way for both of us to connect spiritually.

One can be a UU Muslim, a UU Buddhist, a UU Sikh, a UU Hindu-Christian-Agnostic-mystic, etc. XD Many of these religious traditions are generally exclusivistic (including Buddhism, and certain parts of Hinduism), but the Unitarian Universalist religion seeks to find the common rather than the differences. "You do not need to think alike to love alike." Since spirituality is about finding truth and meaning in this world, the spiritual practices and perceptions we each individually perform and embody will differ, but we all share the same values.

Communally when we come together in worship, the service generally possesses a post-Protestant character; individually, however, you will find stark differences of belief with every member of the UU movement!

And finally, how dose the UU Church keep people from being openly intolerant in there churches? What happens when someone says they dont accept gays and arguments break out. Is that person expelled from the UU church? Dose the UU Church have the power to enforce its own 7 principles?

Forgive me but this church looks to good to be true.
The Seven Principles are values that we covenant to promote in our congregations, and they address on how we can conduct our own lives with others that does not need theological argument. If a person is intolerant of gay people, then they may not get expelled from a congregation, but would have to feel somewhat discomforted since most members are queer-friendly. To me, homosexuality is a natural human phenomenon, and suppression has caused grief, abnegation of self-worth, and suicide. To be against it would be against human rights and human dignity, but that is my perspective.

I'm pro-choice on abortion with others, but I am pro-life for myself.

In regards to being 'too good to be true,' the UU movement has had its own problems (too middle class, white, stagnant in worship, etc. I am Filipina, low-middle class and a young adult, lol), but there is so much good in this religion for me, it would be silly for me not to be a part of a religion of freethinkers!

I am a UU, not because of other people, but because of my faith and conviction in our Principles; to be a person of faith, with an open mind, helping hands, and a loving heart.

For both my boyfriend and I, the flaming chalice represents our hope for the world, religious freedom and liberty, and the flame of reason and spirit. Not all can find a home in our Unitarian Universalist religion; some do not like the worship, and others find it too simplistic or idealistic. But for the two of us, it's an imperfection perfected by the people's sincere intentions of making a better world! :D

Sorry for being so long... this is all my opinion, so take it all with a grain of salt, lol! AND while making egg-free eggnog! :flirt:

Excaliber

Gaura priya thank you for that post. You and other UU members have such an open and free thinking view point and I admire that. I understand that the church may not be that diverse as far as race. That could be fore a number of reasons, but I have found no evidence of racism in my online research.

As long as there are not a lot of racist or intolerant people in a church that is from what I hear, teaching tolerance and the worth of all people.... then this church is amazing.

Gaura priya thank you for that post. You and other UU members have such an open and free thinking view point and I admire that. I understand that the church may not be that diverse as far as race. That could be fore a number of reasons, but I have found no evidence of racism in my online research.

As long as there are not a lot of racist or intolerant people in a church that is from what I hear, teaching tolerance and the worth of all people.... then this church is amazing.

Yes! If I ever have children, I would want to raise them Unitarian Universalists and then eventually they can choose what religion, or non-religion they can ascribe to. If it's the only religion that both my boyfriend and I can participate together, than it has to be doing something right! :)

Good luck with your spiritual quest, Excaliber! :)

EverChanging

UU is a largely white religion, but that is not due to racism, or that is at least not the intention of the UUA. I think many African Americans come from a strong Christian heritage and are already comfortable where they are. The UUA has done much work fighting racism and other forms of prejudice, and they do it well. The influence of Unitarian Universalism is out of proportion to its numbers.

Many people like to feel unique and special. They like to feel their way is the only way, and anyone who does not believe as they do is "damned" or "lost". They get a sense of self-worth by attempting to "save" others.

At least that is how I see it.
While this is true of some who are not Unitarian Universalists, you have made a very sweeping statement here. I have friends, including one ex-Unitarian Universalist, who do not fit your description at all and belong to traditional Christian faith communities.

There are also non-Christians who belong to other faiths who simply do not feel the need to tack on "UU" or belong to a UU faith community. Their own path provides them with the structure and sustenance they need. For those who find meaning in rich mythology connected with a liturgical year or other holidays and traditions, many simply do not have a need to belong to an additional faith community. To say Unitarian Universalism isn't attracting tons of members because people are bigots who believe they are the only right way and want to feel special, save others, and believe others are damned is itself a form of bigotry and is an "us and them" mentality foreign to the UU faith community. I respectfully ask that you consider your words carefully before making generalizations of people. Most people have not even heard of Unitarian Universalism.

Last edited:

Karl R

The UU church is said to welcome all on a journey of truth. However what if a new comer is African American...... mabey even the only one or two in attendance?
My church (in Houston, TX) is probably about 5% African American. It's a little hard for me to count, because I don't mentally categorize people by race.

But your question reminded me of a couple who joined our church back in the 1960s. They were new to Houston, and our church was the only church in Houston which made them feel welcome. (I don't think any of the other UU churches in Houston existed back then.) As an interracial couple in the deep south in the 1960s, there weren't many places where they felt welcome.

The UU church has a long-standing tradition of welcoming people of all races. I think it would be hard to find an exception.

I like to avoid the uncomfortable part which is being in a social setting where I know absolutely knowone, So I came in 3 minutes late so I could go straight to my seat. Then I left 4 minutes early so im not standing around a bunch of people I dont know.... AWKWARD! !!! LOL

I understand the awkward feeling. When I started attending my church, I didn't know anybody there. However, by hanging out with them, I got to meet them. Because I stuck through the awkwardness, it's now a group of people where I know the majority of them.

Beginner classes are great places to meet people. Our church offers a beginner class about twice per year.

Most people want to be accepted by everyone. Only a small minority are willing to accept everyone in return.

Christian and satanist or islam and hindu. Isnt against some of these religions to unify with other religions?
I don't see anything in the bible that says I can't work together with a satanist on a Habitat for Humanity project or at a food bank.

If a satanist started chatting with me in church, the first thing I would ask him/her is "What do you believe?" I'm aware of a few versions of satanism. I have a vague understanding of what the LaVeyans believe, and no information about what the others believe.

Until I find out out what he/she believes, how can I be sure our beliefs are "opposite"? (I disagree with LaVeyans on a few significant points, but most of their beliefs I agree with. They're not as different from christians as one might assume.)

But the UU believe that all can worship under one roof?
I suppose it depends on how you define "worship". For example, I enjoy watching wiccan rituals, but I don't feel they're as meaningful (to me) as the less interesting christian rituals I grew up with. (I have a normal, personal bias towards things that are familiar.)

I probably wouldn't attend a primarily wiccan UU church. I respect the people who choose to follow that path, but it's not one that I can personally follow.

And finally, how dose the UU Church keep people from being openly intolerant in there churches?
Even tolerant people find it difficult to be tolerant of everyone. Specifically, tolerant people find it extremely difficult to tolerate intolerant people.

We expect people to be respectful and civil to others. The people who can't manage that are frequently treated as persona non grata.

What happens when someone says they dont accept gays and arguments break out.
Arguments in the UU church:
Let me start by discussing arguments. A lot of UUs enjoy debate. If you can respectfully debate a topic with others, that's perfectly acceptable (even if you passionately hold opposing views). A couple months ago I was involved in a spirited debate with a retired UU minister about US fiscal policy. She felt the republican policy is better, I lean a bit more towards the democratic policy.

She is a very bright, well-spoken woman who has thought through her views carefully. I can recognize that she has all those traits, while actively disagreeing with a policy she vigorously supports. We can respect each other even though we don't have uniform beliefs.

Not accepting others:
It really depends on what you mean by this. In my opinion, if you can be respectful and polite towards others, you're probably sufficiently accepting.

There's a certain group of people who creep me out. There are people who don't feel comfortable with who they are (some more so than others). The people who feel this way most strongly remind me of a couple of my least favorite relatives. Due to the negative associations, I end up feeling creeped out when I'm around people like that.

I've only met a few people who are transsexuals, but all the ones I've met (including the two who attend my church) creep me out in that way.

I believe that transsexuals deserve all the same rights as I do. I believe they should be treated with respect. I'm glad my church welcomes transsexuals. I would oppose any suggestion to make our church less welcoming.

One of the transsexuals (male to female) is on the Board of Trustees. I'm thankful that she's willing to invest the time and effort into serving the church. I fully believe that she is just as capable and invested in the well-being of the church as any other board member. I enjoy chatting with her gregarious wife, and I'm friends with her son's husband.

The way I feel is not her fault. It's based on my past experiences. But since I feel this way, I minimize the time I spend socializing with her. We're in a largish church and she's rather reserved ... it's not difficult to spend very little time around her.

I also don't broadcast how I feel around the church. I've mentioned it to a couple close friends.

Am I accepting of transsexuals? It depends on how you define the word "accept".

Is that person expelled from the UU church?
Even if word got around about how I feel, I wouldn't expect to catch much flack. I'm not expected to like everyone. I'm just expected to treat them respectfully.

I'm not aware of anything that allows us to expel someone from the church. If someone behaved criminally, we could have them arrested, but that's about it.

If I behaved disrespectfully towards others, I expect people would start avoiding me. If enough people do that, the obnoxious people tend to leave.

Dose the UU Church have the power to enforce its own 7 principles?
No.

UUs aren't even required to agree with the principles. Every few years we vote on what the principles should be.