• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I believe Judaism is absolute true

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not saying an interpretation is wrong because it's not explicitly mentioned in the Bible but that doesn't mean it's true either. I don't trust pastors and priests like I used to, I just go to church to hear the word of God. The only one we can trust is God. Clergy can get scriptures wrong-they are not infallible.
Do you believe in Sola Scriptura?

Skywalker

Oh yeah this. The bit where you have no answer so say some random thing like this. Very annoying but apparently inevitable.

Bible teachers and pastors sometimes things that are a mixture of truth and lies. They are not all right and all wrong. I believe in the Old Testament and interpreting the Bible according to what it says, not what the clergy say. There are a lot of false teachings in the churches, like name it and claim it, but those people also say things that are in the Bible like Jesus died for our sins. I agree with what rabbis say about evidence for the Old Testament, but I don't agree with the belief that Yeshua isn't the Messiah. Criterion of embarrassment - Wikipedia

The criterion of embarrassment is a type of critical analysis in which an account is likely to be true as the author would have no reason to invent an account which might embarrass them. Certain Biblical scholars have used this as a metric for assessing whether the New Testament's accounts of Jesus' actions and words are historically probable.[1] The criterion of embarrassment is also used as an argument by those who say that the Torah is the word of God; the Jews in the Torah are often described in very critical, very unflattering terms.

I agree with rabbis about criterion of embarrassment but I don't follow what any clergy teaches above what the scriptures say.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't want to identify with any one denomination I believe in the Bible and Jesus.
In my mind, Sola Scriptura is the equivalent of Jewish Peshat, which is the plain meaning of the text. Some Christians just take it a step further in theological terms. If you were to come out and tell me you believe in Sola Scriptura, I wouldn't immediately identify you with any denomination.

Skywalker

In my mind, Sola Scriptura is the equivalent of Jewish Peshat, which is the plain meaning of the text. Some Christians just take it a step further in theological terms. If you were to come out and tell me you believe in Sola Scriptura, I wouldn't immediately identify you with any denomination.

I believe in following the scriptures and hearing the word of God in church. I don't believe in trusting what the clergy say above what the scriptures say. I believe that both Christians and Jews sometimes follow the teachings of the clergy too blindly and they reject what the Bible says. I believe in Sola Scriptura.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe in following the scriptures and hearing the word of God in church. I don't believe in trusting what the clergy say above what the scriptures say. I believe that both Christians and Jews sometimes follow the teachings of the clergy too blindly and they reject what the Bible says. I believe in Sola Scriptura.
Thanks. Will get back to you on this topic after Shabbat.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Not having read the whole OP it appears from what I have read so far that the argument is for traditions that predate Jesus and I believe Judaism is very wrong about Jesus.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Only one, if you believe Judaism is absolute true, why did you note "Monotheist" in your religion, and not Judaism?

I believe it is a jibe against Christians who are often depicted as having three gods when the truth is that Christians are monotheists.

Skywalker

I believe that is because no matter how hard you try to avoid Jesus He is there. Moses is not.

People outside of the Bible talk about the life and ministry of Jesus. The apostles were real people who lived with Jesus. Jesus for skeptics. How to respond to those who say Jesus is a myth - Premier Christian Radio

Sources beyond scripture

Yet, even if we were to set aside the Gospels and letters of Paul that testify to Jesus, there are enough extra-biblical, non-Christian sources to put the existence of his life and ministry beyond question. Historians of the time like Tacitus, Josephus and Pliny the Younger all mention Jesus and the early Church which started gathering to worship in his name. There were also critics of Christianity such as Celsus who, in opposing the early Church, confirmed various aspects of the claims being made about Jesus. The fact that their accounts were written down decades after the events was not at all unusual for the age of antiquity. The histories of most significant figures were written down long after their lives had ended.

When I asked biblical scholar N.T. Wright for the one thing he would show a sceptic as evidence for Jesus’ life, he pointed to his death, saying: ‘The crucifixion of Jesus of Nazareth is one of the best attested facts in ancient history. If we take Jesus out of the world of first-century Palestinian Judaism, there are a thousand other things that we simply can’t explain. All sorts of evidence points back to the certainty of this figure, and particularly his crucifixion.’

Redemptionsong

I am so utterly shocked at this statement, with you concluding that you remain strong in a view that you've already stated you hold many times, regarding baseless assumptions you make about Jewish worship.
I was hoping you might agree, given that the words come from Jeremiah and not me!

Jeremiah nowhere suggests that the covenant 'which they brake' has been reestablished. Or do you have evidence to suggest otherwise?

Redemptionsong

can you show me where in Hoshea 6, the word "know" is used?

Feel free to accept that. I accept that you have no understanding of Judaism or God. Somehow, I persevere.

Um, as I said, it makes explicit the content of the covenant it is talking about. How can there be any question?
I believe Hosea 6:3 uses the word 'yada', to know, on two occasions.

If the covenant that Jeremiah talks about is the covenant of Moses, it's not a covenant of faith, but of law. Israel (with the exception of certain faithful men) has therefore, broken the covenant of law, and has not, as far as l can see from scripture, managed to repair this broken covenant with God.

How can there be knowledge of God if the relationship is broken?

Redemptionsong

I'm not saying an interpretation is wrong because it's not explicitly mentioned in the Bible but that doesn't mean it's true either. I don't trust pastors and priests like I used to, I just go to church to hear the word of God. The only one we can trust is God. Clergy can get scriptures wrong-they are not infallible.
I think you make an important point here. It strikes me that Christian religion has done much harm, preventing people from following the true call of the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:

rosends

I believe Hosea 6:3 uses the word 'yada', to know, on two occasions.
great! Exactly. The first use is in the plural future connected to the following future tense plural verb, "and we will know to chase." Then it follows with another verb, "too know." As both instances use the same verb are you saying that they refer to the same knowledge? Should I show you other uses of that root verb to see if they are also connected?
If the covenant that Jeremiah talks about is the covenant of Moses, it's not a covenant of faith, but of law. Israel (with the exception of certain faithful men) has therefore, broken the covenant of law, and has not, as far as l can see from scripture, managed to repair this broken covenant with God.
no, we haven't achieved the place that the covenant is replaced. Breaking a covenant of law does not invalidate it. If I drive 56 mph for ten minutes, I'm still bound to drive 55 after that. The rule doesn't disappear, nor does my responsibility towards it.
How can there be knowledge of God if the relationship is broken?
there is still a relationship. Who said there wasn't a relationship?

Redemptionsong

great! Exactly. The first use is in the plural future connected to the following future tense plural verb, "and we will know to chase." Then it follows with another verb, "too know." As both instances use the same verb are you saying that they refer to the same knowledge? Should I show you other uses of that root verb to see if they are also connected?

no, we haven't achieved the place that the covenant is replaced. Breaking a covenant of law does not invalidate it. If I drive 56 mph for ten minutes, I'm still bound to drive 55 after that. The rule doesn't disappear, nor does my responsibility towards it.

there is still a relationship. Who said there wasn't a relationship?
There are hundreds of passages in which the word 'yada' is used, and the meaning is determined accurately from the context. In Hosea 6:3 the second use of the verb occurs in the phrase 'to know the LORD'. Elsewhere we have a similar use of 'yada', as in 'shall know that l (am) the LORD' [frequently used by Ezekiel]. The meaning intended in both cases is knowledge (love) between people and the Word of God.

Here is another use of 'yada' that helps to clarify the point.
Isaiah 1:3. ' The ox knoweth his owner, and the *** his master' s crib: but lsrael doth not know, my people do not consider.
Ah sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, children that are corrupters: they have forsaken the LORD, they have provoked the Holy One of Israel unto anger, they are gone away backward.'

In this opening passage from Isaiah, the great complaint is that Israel lacks knowledge. This same lack of knowledge leaves the Holy One angry.

Yes, there is still a relationship, but the relationship is not a happy one!

Jeremiah 51:5. ' For Israel hath not been forsaken, nor Judah of his God, of the LORD of hosts; though their land was filled with sin against the Holy One of Israel.'