• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't usually post this sort of thing, but...

idea

Question Everything
Well, I'll try to answer you:

Hard working? I'm 76 and still work for a living -- not because I have to, but because I like to.
I had a hard time getting an education, because being abandoned by the Children's Aid at 17, and still suffering the emotional damage of a battered childhood, I couldn't manage it. However, I continued to learn, earning first a Registered Industrial Accountant certification, and later a degree from York University by going at night for several years after work.

I take care of my health, I've lost jobs and bounced back better than before, working my way to Vice-President of Information Technology for a majory global financial institution.

I've not suffered any natural disasters, except a bad spine for which I've required surgery, nor war. I love camping, and I've even made coq au vin over a wood fire, and love nature. And my face has smile lines -- I don't know how, but I have managed to be a cheerful and upbeat person for most of my adult life, once I'd left my childhood behind by absolutely forgiving those who treated me ill when I was very young.

My philosophy of humanism suits me very well, and I am always ready to help those in need, and I at least make an effort every day to leave a trail of smiles behind me as I interact with others.

But I have no religion.

Love it. As a higher-ed teacher, I've had kids who aged out of the system. Pros and cons with everything, but the system does tend to produce independent self-reliant people - who have avoided brainwashing that happens within many (most) family circles. Of my own kids, one has graduated from college, another will not attend college and that is just fine (thinking through those in my family, those who attended the "school of life" have done quite well for themselves, are happy people).

In class, there was a small group of students who had delved into Stoicism. One day, they were discussing various philosophy books. When asked about my favorite reads (as a teacher mindful of not revealing my political or religious beliefs), I shared my favorite books weren't penned by ivory-tower philosophers. Instead, they were written by individuals who, through their real-life experiences, demonstrated resilience—emerging from hardships with a sound mind, emotional stability, and practical wisdom gained from overcoming real-life challenges, not just abstract philosophy. Good in theory, but in practice... - I like "applied", I respect the words of those who have proven themselves.

christos

Some sort of scholar dude who likes learning
~giggles~ Ohhhhhhkay.

Nevermind. Your point of view is far too narrow. Superficial. I wear a cap. I probably look like more like a marxist.

Here. This is me. Right now. Webcam. I'm shaking my head right now and laughing quietly to myself.

Ayyyyy is that the infamous D in the flesh!

Great library!

christos

Some sort of scholar dude who likes learning
I think most religion today has become egotistical and disinterested in love and unity.
I think that’s actually very true

Its often said to be the practice of the human mind not of the eternal spirit

I think sometimes religious people can, NOT ALL, get into a mindset of their particular view is THE truth and so it’s just a matter of always proving the other person wrong

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I couldn't help it. This is a message from Senator Cory Booker (Dem), that I found spoke volumes to me about so many of the debates I've watched over the years here at Religious Forums. Although I'm not religious at all, I found that my outlook from the perspective of Humanism fit very well with what Senator Booker has to say.

How about you, from the perspective of your faith?
View attachment 94584
Very much in tune with what Baha'i teaches. You have to live your faith to have any influence on others.

Truthseeker

I've conveyed what Cory said in so many words many times on this forum.

The credibility and value of your religion is based on your actions, not how well you can communicate and/or preach your beliefs.
I don't know what I am doing here then. This forum is mostly words. I suppose you can show consideration, kindness, and fairness with words to some extent.

Truthseeker

That is what Cory Booker is getting at in the OP. I know many people who claim that they carry "the love of Jesus" in their hearts, and then villify a neighbour for their sexual orientation -- or for having a different faith -- and I know they are lying. I know it because their actions betray the falseness of their words.
4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
(King James Bible, 1 John)

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know what I am doing here then. This forum is mostly words. I suppose you can show consideration, kindness, and fairness with words to some extent.
This speaks volumes.

Do you think you would serve the Baha'i Faith best by preaching the words of Baha'u'llah or by demonstrating how these words inform your actions and interaction with others not only here but in the world in general?

Truthseeker

This speaks volumes.

Do you think you would serve the Baha'i Faith best by preaching the words of Baha'u'llah or by demonstrating how these words inform your actions and interaction with others not only here but in the world in general?
The latter. Preaching does little for anyone here.