• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a question about Catholic Schools

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I was wondering if any of you may have gone to a Catholic School? If you did, did they teach you about the Crusades and the Inquisitions? I would appreciate just simple honest answers so i may clarify what i have heard. thanks for your help :)

PureX

Veteran Member
Not really. I'm sure they were mentioned, but not in detail, and it was in the earlier grades because I don't remember them being discussed in any way that would have caused me to doubt the moral superiority of the vatican.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I went to a catholic school. I don't remember being told about the crusades. But that may not mean we were not taught it - I was probably asleep, any religious education bored me and so did history, so... twice as boring :p

carcinoid112

I taught World History in a Catholic middle school decades ago. (I am not Catholic.)

We touched on the Crusades as a noble effort to assist the people of Jerusalem, but the Inquisition was pretty much glossed over. I flatly told my 8th graders that their textbooks were edited to eliminate some historical information, and that they could do research in a city library to find out more. They were 8th graders, so...yeah, like most of them would bother. Then one of them tied it in to Mel Brook's History of the World Part 1, and they all wanted to find out.

Sister Agnes wasn't happy with me.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Thank you for the responses, this helps me in a current debate about whether or not the crusades and inquisitions are the key factor to attribute to the RCC being so large.

I went to a Catholic high school. During my senior year, I took both an AP European History course, and a theology course on Church history. The AP European history textbook was a thick book with tiny print, but while most of the other students didn't bother to read it, I did, and I found out many things about the Crusades, the Inquisition, and the endless religious and nationalistic wars and massacres of European history. It was almost comical to contrast this with the view of history that was offered in the Church-sponsored book on Church history (which, of course, had large friendly print and lots of pictures, and which, I'm sure, more students read).

wednesday

Jesus
I was wondering if any of you may have gone to a Catholic School? If you did, did they teach you about the Crusades and the Inquisitions? I would appreciate just simple honest answers so i may clarify what i have heard. thanks for your help :)

I was taught about the crusades in modern history at a public school. However, they were truthful and noty edited to omit things that were unfavourable to religion. Like any other hostory context you have to read long and boring primary sources to check the facts before you read modern sources that are straight to the point:sad4:

Bishka

Veteran Member
Madhatter, are you asking people who attended Catholic schools (and are no longer Catholic) or Catholics that are still Catholics and attended the schools?

beckysoup said:
Would you trust an anti-Mormon or former Mormon for information or would you go to members of the Church for information?
I think my non-Catholic opinion of what I was taught in Catholic school is just as trustworthy as anyone's. I'm not saying everything I was taught was a distortion...in fact the material we studied on the New Testament was fairly objective and scholarly, I think.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I think my non-Catholic opinion of what I was taught in Catholic school is just as trustworthy as anyone's. I'm not saying everything I was taught was a distortion...in fact the material we studied on the New Testament was fairly objective and scholarly, I think.

It is Madhatter that I'm worried about. In the past, I've heard him state that anti-Mormons and former Mormons are not to be trusted, so I was wondering why he would ask this of former Catholics. In my own opinion, I do not have a problem at all with your opinion.

PureX

Veteran Member
I left the Catholic school system in 9th grade, so I only went to their high school for one year. But I will say that I believe what was being taught there was not propaganda, but was honest and true information. And I recall having class discussions that clearly questioned church positions. No one was discouraged from voicing their skepticism, even in religion class.

Years later, long after I had ceased being a Catholic, I came to be in need of help, and Catholic Charities offered their help with no conditions at all. They didn't care what my religious beliefs were, and they didn't insist that I investigate their beliefs. They simply offered the help because I was in need of it and they asked nothing in return.

So I have to say that in all honesty, my own experience of the Catholic church's organizations ware pretty honest, open, and positive.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
It is Madhatter that I'm worried about. In the past, I've heard him state that anti-Mormons and former Mormons are not to be trusted, so I was wondering why he would ask this of former Catholics. In my own opinion, I do not have a problem at all with your opinion.

when did i say that? Anti-Mormons maybe not so much but why not trust an Ex-Mormon?

I think that is an unfair assumption you just made as tot he integrity of these people on this forum.

Why are you worried about me? when have you ever been concerned for my well-being?

Bishka

Veteran Member
I think that is an unfair assumption you just made as tot he integrity of these people on this forum.

If you noticed in an additional post, it was said that it was not referring to the people here, but reflecting on something that you have said. ;)

Francine

Thank you for the responses, this helps me in a current debate about whether or not the crusades and inquisitions are the key factor to attribute to the RCC being so large.

My family has nine kids. My aunt and uncle had thirteen kids. There's your answer right there. In 2108 the whole Western Hemisphere will be 50-50 Catholic/LDS with a smattering of miscellaneous.

athanasius

Yes they did. In both grade school(8th grade) and College we were taught about them! we even have specific classes about the Crusades and Inquisitions in Catholic universities.

Francine

Yes they did. In both grade school(8th grade) and College we were taught about them! we even have specific classes about the Crusades and Inquisitions in Catholic universities.

And they don't require you to purchase the entire back catalog of Jack Chick comics to pass the course.