• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need to explain evolution to a six year-old.

Nanda

Polyanna
What concepts are you thinking would be hard for a six year old to grasp, exactly?

You're not trying to explain advanced biochemistry, just the basic principles of evolution.

A baboon could understand them!

Is that so? Might I peruse your teaching plan for the baboon?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
If you've ever had a litter at your house, you could start with the idea that the kittens are not identical, and that if e.g. being striped helped one kitten to survive, it could reproduce and have more striped kittens, something like that. Of course, he already knows about reproduction, right?

Nanda

Polyanna
If you've ever had a litter at your house, you could start with the idea that the kittens are not identical, and that if e.g. being striped helped one kitten to survive, it could reproduce and have more striped kittens, something like that. Of course, he already knows about reproduction, right?

Yeah, he knows where babies come from. That one was surprisingly easy in comparison.

logician

There have to be a number of books about evolution geared towards children, as well as info on the internet.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is that so? Might I peruse your teaching plan for the baboon?

Well first, get a few bananas....:rolleyes:

No, really. The basics are simple:
1. All babies -- kittens, frogs, people --are not the same. Each is a little different from his brothers and sisters.
2. Some of the differences can helpful, and some can be a hinderance.
3. Babies with helpful differences are more likely than their brothers and sisters to grow up to be mommies and daddies themselves.
4. Mommies and daddies with helpful differences are likely to pass these on to their children.
5. After many generations the helpful difference becomes common and eventually almost all the dogs/cats/people have it.

Nanda

Polyanna
By some coincidence, the evolution vs. creationism episode of The Simpson's was on last night, and he said "That's what we were talking about the other day!" So I guess he did get some of what I was trying to get across.

Mobsie666

It's pretty simple really. Life has evolved to be more wonderful and incredible over time. You are the best life has to offer.

Far better than that creationist crap.

Certainly something a 6 year old can relate to. and its true as well. Lordy Lordy!

Nanda

Polyanna
It's pretty simple really. Life has evolved to be more wonderful and incredible over time. You are the best life has to offer.

Certainly something a 6 year old can relate to. and its true as well. Lordy Lordy!

I'm looking to raise a free thinker who respects others beliefs, not an indoctrinated atheist.

Rolling_Stone

Any suggestions? Yesterday my son asked "Where did the first people come from?" and I found out that it's somewhat difficult to explain evolution to a small child without sounding like you've lost your mind.
Tell him people throughout history believed many things. Refer to some of the creation myths that Joseph Campbell is famous for or you can go here or here. There are many more websites.

Evolution and the Big Bang are myths in the sense that their task, like all myths, is to provide explanations that make sense within one's culture. They may or may not be factually correct, but it always reflects the way human beings present their relationship with the universe.

Yerda

Veteran Member
But the theory of evolution is so simple and straightforeward that any six year old can grasp it.
Maybe. Most won't believe it. I certainly didn't.

Tell him to get a book, if he can't understand it he should try harder. :p

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

But what about when evolution goes "backwards," when creatures become simpler, more primative?
Evolution has nothing to do with either advancement or increasing complexity. It's adaptation to immediate circumstances; pure expediency -- whatever works.

budhabee

Tell him that is the most wondrous and puzzling thing about this world. Humans are a mystery. With many mysterious things about them. We appeared around 50,000 years ago so they say. But from where? They have found no missing links as yet so far between even cro-magnon man and humans. Apes are out of the question. They have not proved anything there either except that we are a bubble off on genetics. Tell him someday someone may solve it. Maybe even him. :p

crystalonyx

Tell him that is the most wondrous and puzzling thing about this world. Humans are a mystery. With many mysterious things about them. We appeared around 50,000 years ago so they say. But from where? They have found no missing links as yet so far between even cro-magnon man and humans. Apes are out of the question. They have not proved anything there either except that we are a bubble off on genetics. Tell him someday someone may solve it. Maybe even him. :p

I think the linage if homo sapiens is pretty well worked out, and we definitely came from some ancestor ape.

Fluffy

A fool
Do it by example:
Once there were no monkeys, just humans. Then one day, a monkey was born without a tail. A hungry lion came along and all the monkey and his brothers and sisters tried to run away. However, the lion was easily able to catch the monkey's brothers and sisters by grabbing their tails. Only the monkey managed to get away because he had no tail for the lion to grab on to. The monkey found another monkey and... oh wait better do that talk first or you are just going to get side tracked.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Everything you have said is false. Would you care to debate it in a thread for this purpose?