• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I suddenly realize that I have no culture.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Been watching lately a particular group of Native American musicians perform and was touched deeply with an appreciation and admiration by the way heritage and culture can be displayed through music and song so passionately and clearly. It really made an emotional impact and got some things started in my mind.

It caused me to pause and think of my own ancestry, but being adopted, its hard to determine where exactly I actually belong cuturally. Sometimes, I don't want to know.

Being born American, watching the recent trends and disposition of my countrymen and women as of late, I suddenly realise that there is no discernable culture by which I can be proud of, experience, and share with others.

I'm regarded as Caucasian, and I have no demonstrable culture that comes to mind that I can share and be proud of. I end up adopting bits and pieces of cultures from others for inspiration and focus being proud for those reasons by way its demonstrated , and feeling disgusted and alienated with my own. Endeavoring to persevere.

I placed this into discussion, as there is nothing worth debating as much as am wondering if there are others who may feel like their in the same boat by which in feeling, there is little to share and be proud of as it pertains to their heritage and ancestry.

Is something like culture and ancestry importaint to you?

Something worth preserving?

It's something I think is worth discussing because I'm thinking if there is no culture, no heritage, there will consequently be no direction as a people.

Many times I had felt like, "Little Big Man" pretty much throughout my entire life so far.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ancestry interests me not in the least. I really had no choice in the matter, so why fret about a bunch of ancestors I've never met, from who knows where, who have no current impact on my life?
I am who I am. Ancestry won't change my physical or cultural circumstances. There are plenty of things that will, though, so I'll worry about those.

Culture? I'm not sure how you're using the term. Clarify/define, SVP.

buddhist

Been watching lately a particular group of Native American musicians perform and was touched deeply with an appreciation and admiration by the way heritage and culture can be displayed through music and song so passionately and clearly. It really made an emotional impact and got some things started in my mind.

It caused me to pause and think of my own ancestry, but being adopted, its hard to determine where exactly I actually belong cuturally. Sometimes, I don't want to know.

Being born American, watching the recent trends and disposition of my countrymen and women as of late, I suddenly realise that there is no discernable culture by which I can be proud of, experience, and share with others.

I'm regarded as Caucasian, and I have no demonstrable culture that comes to mind that I can share and be proud of. I end up adopting bits and pieces of cultures from others for inspiration and focus being proud for those reasons by way its demonstrated , and feeling disgusted and alienated with my own. Endeavoring to persevere.

I placed this into discussion, as there is nothing worth debating as much as am wondering if there are others who may feel like their in the same boat by which in feeling, there is little to share and be proud of as it pertains to their heritage and ancestry.

It's something I think is worth discussing because I'm thinking if there is no culture, no heritage, there will consequently be no direction as a people.

Many times I had felt like, "Little Big Man" pretty much throughout my entire life so far.
IMO, don't be too attached to an imaginary past. Enjoy the uniqueness of you in the present, even if it's a culture of one. Be an individual, and blaze a trail forward.

VioletVortex

Look in to your European culture and heritage, and be proud of it. The ancient Europeans were very cultured people, with many rich traditions they passed down. Bathe in the beauty of your culture rather than trying to become part of another.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm not proud of anything I didn't personally achieve; certainly not an accident of birth.
Do I have to remind anyone of the hazards of racial supremacy?

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Look in to your European culture and heritage, and be proud of it. The ancient Europeans were very cultured people, with many rich traditions they passed down. Bathe in the beauty of your culture rather than trying to become part of another.

Your heritage can be different from your culture. A lot of my ancestry can be traced to Ireland, but I'm not culturally Irish.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I'm not proud of anything I didn't personally achieve; certainly not an accident of birth.

Race and culture are two completely different things, despite people's tendency to attempt conflating the two.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I'm regarded as Caucasian, and I have no demonstrable culture that comes to mind that I can share and be proud of.
Sure you do: The Brady Bunch, Andy Griffith, Gilligan's Island, The Monkees, Star Trek, Star Wars, Country Music...Need I go on?:confused:o_O

Oh, sorry...you said that you could be PROUD of...:p:eek::rolleyes:

Nevermind!:D

(Seriously, though: Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Elvis, The Band, Jackson Browne...)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Race and culture are two completely different things, despite people's tendency to attempt conflating the two.
My culture is Leave it to Beaver-style American Standard. I don't think the stomping grounds or lifestyle of my ancestors had much to do with my life.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

step across the border.....

you will stand out.....in appearance and voice

roger1440

I do stuff

Are you from New York City?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
As a kid maybe being about 10 years old, I was traveling with my folks, and we made a motel stop in Iowa. I went to get a pop (Michigan word for "soda"), and an elderly man (probably younger than I am now) was talking briefly with me, and he said "You're from Michigan, right?". I said yes and asked how he knew, and he said "By your accent". I replied "I have no accent!".

Here we do indeed have culture, and you notice it much more when you travel to different countries, especially those whereas the culture is quite different.

Twilight Hue

As a kid maybe being about 10 years old, I was traveling with my folks, and we made a motel stop in Iowa. I went to get a pop (Michigan word for "soda"), and an elderly man (probably younger than I am now) was talking briefly with me, and he said "You're from Michigan, right?". I said yes and asked how he knew, and he said "By your accent". I replied "I have no accent!".

Here we do indeed have culture, and you notice it much more when you travel to different countries, especially those whereas the culture is quite different.
Oh yea. Language is a good marker. It always sounds better on the other side of the fence. *grin*

I work in a multi cultural enviroment, both at work, traveled a good portion of the country, and when I travel into Canada. It's that distinction and appreciation that I'm talking about when it comes to those differences. It would be a real shame to lose that kind of diversity over time.

roger1440

I do stuff
No. Been there a lot, but don't reside there. Live in the Western portion of New York.
Being from the United States you most definitely have a culture. Yesterday marked the 15 anniversary of 911. New York City is the financial mecca of the United States. The Twin Towers were her crown jewel. But New York and the United States as a whole is much more then money. Many of our ancestors came here for one reason, freedom. Freedom has always been part of the American culture. Freedom is something Bin Laden could have never taken from us. It's in our blood. It is part of our ancestory. The two towers of light reaching up to the clouds from lower Manhattan last night is a reminder of that. I was able to see them from my apartment in New Jersey. 1986 was the 100 birthday for the lady in the harbor. 5,000,000 people attended her birthday party. I was one of them. We weren't celebrating some huge hunk of metal in the harbor. What we were celebrating is what she represents, freedom.

7a5e5e1e5ebe4c0ea0a8355118d13430-7a5e5e1e5ebe4c0ea0a8355118d13430-0.jpg

VioletVortex

You can be proud of your ancestors and their cultural, political, and spiritual achievements. You can be glad that you descended from those people. You're ancestry is part of your individuality.

I don't believe in racial superiority. Each race has adapted to be best suited for its particular climate.

In my humble opinion, everyone should be proud of their ancestors accomplishments.

Twilight Hue

step across the border.....

you will stand out.....in appearance and voice

I am thinking of getting flannel shirts, suspenders and a ballcap that has the Cat logo.

But I'm saying eh way too much now, and my wallet has become far more more Canadian than American..... "0)

It's not really an issue of standing or turkey trotting out on a personal level as much as it is representing a positive distinction of one's origins and roots as a community of people and a sense of belonging. It's very difficult to find things like that for a good number of people from all walks of life.

I think maybe joining a preservation society might be a golden key, if and when I ever can trace my origins to the root culture of my ancestors.

I tend to think a fair amount of people would like in general to pay some respect and homage in a general sense. Learn, and see what was lost and what can be gained by it.

I used to think things like this remained useless and worthless in contemporary society, but upon seeing and reading about peoples cultures ripped away, both past and present, have givin cause to rethink its signifence, and move in a positive direction.

Twilight Hue

You can be proud of your ancestors and their cultural, political, and spiritual achievements. You can be glad that you descended from those people. You're ancestry is part of your individuality.

I don't believe in racial superiority. Each race has adapted to be best suited for its particular climate.

In my humble opinion, everyone should be proud of their ancestors accomplishments.

I still remember employed as a hospital transporter, once seeing a person with an African rain stick a very long time ago, as it made a distinct noise, a friend who knew already what it was, and a beautiful story told through its proud owner who carried it with her upon surprise that he recognised it as being one as we were clearly not African and opened up a conversation. That was really fun and interesting hearing about it, as well as that of her ancestral people.

Things like that. Precious history. Not everyone has that type of connection to their past that they can share.