• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I suddenly realize that I have no culture.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What kind of culture is being discussed here?

"Culture" is a learned survival strategy. It comprises a society's language, economy, toolkit, art, beliefs, laws, customs, diet, values, religion, relationships, &al.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't feel any connection to the Irish or the Canucks.
"Culture" is such an odd concept to me as used by nationalists and racial pride movements.

We should all be trying transform our cultures into a secular and loving one. Anything that would prevent that from occurring is not worth preserving.

I see an argument by a particular anti-race mixer on the forum (who will remain unnamed,) who makes the claim that race mixing destroys heritage and some sort of ethnic connection.
I don't think that's true, although I don't understand heritage in any way.

I think that people (particularly cultural and moral relativists) get so caught up in "culture" this or "culture" that they commonly use culture as a way to Trump rationalism or one's right to exist and be with who they want.

I don't see culture as important in the sense that people would talk about.
However I think cultural standards are very important, but they should be scrutinized from all sides.
That's a real tough one for me.

While I see your valid points, there's also a loss of identity that occurs over time. Race in a physical sense does indeed play a crucial identifying role in many cultures.

While I'm personally not at all against intermixed races, at the same time, I also would find it equally as heartbreaking to see distinct races of people disappear as a result. I honestly don't think hate always plays a hand or role with people who just so happen to endeavor in retaining their physical distinction and traits for sake of preservation in that vein of thought. It's a definite fine line, open to interpretation, sensitive for sure, yet valid arguements can be put forth for those who simply want to preserve that cultural distinction by free choice. Never violence, intimidation, and hate though.

I suppose in reflection, that every race and culture has its time of birth and death. It's something I do recognize deep down, and there is a swan song that needs to be sung along those lines.

Maybe that's what I'm perceiving here.

It's a good post Rowan.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I am thinking of getting flannel shirts, suspenders and a ballcap that has the Cat logo.

But I'm saying eh way too much now, and my wallet has become far more more Canadian than American..... "0)

It's not really an issue of standing or turkey trotting out on a personal level as much as it is representing a positive distinction of one's origins and roots as a community of people and a sense of belonging. It's very difficult to find things like that for a good number of people from all walks of life.

I think maybe joining a preservation society might be a golden key, if and when I ever can trace my origins to the root culture of my ancestors.

I tend to think a fair amount of people would like in general to pay some respect and homage in a general sense. Learn, and see what was lost and what can be gained by it.

I used to think things like this remained useless and worthless in contemporary society, but upon seeing and reading about peoples cultures ripped away, both past and present, have givin cause to rethink its signifence, and move in a positive direction.

I feel similarly sometimes, when we seem so disparate, even torn apart sometimes as Americans. What exactly do I belong to here?

I just came back from a trip to several European countries,- hardly the most exotic destinations, but I felt like kissing the ground when I got back to the States. It reminds me that we really do have a distinct culture that is utterly unique in the world and something to cherish i think- even though, maybe particularly because, we are from such diverse origins- it makes our shared culture more meaningful maybe.

Twilight Hue

Being from the United States you most definitely have a culture. Yesterday marked the 15 anniversary of 911. New York City is the financial mecca of the United States. The Twin Towers were her crown jewel. But New York and the United States as a whole is much more then money. Many of our ancestors came here for one reason, freedom. Freedom has always been part of the American culture. Freedom is something Bin Laden could have never taken from us. It's in our blood. It is part of our ancestory. The two towers of light reaching up to the clouds from lower Manhattan last night is a reminder of that. I was able to see them from my apartment in New Jersey. 1986 was the 100 birthday for the lady in the harbor. 5,000,000 people attended her birthday party. I was one of them. We weren't celebrating some huge hunk of metal in the harbor. What we were celebrating is what she represents, freedom.

7a5e5e1e5ebe4c0ea0a8355118d13430-7a5e5e1e5ebe4c0ea0a8355118d13430-0.jpg
Thats the amazing aspect of being American. The great experiment.

The draw of freedom clearly was motivating in days past. The assistance of the French and Native peoples all contributed historically to help establish this Nation of whom the United States would have not been possible otherwise.

At least for the frame of time itself, a proud moment signifying the power that freedom holds.

If it were not for those generations of slavery, and the taking of lands, indoctrination, and treatment of Native peoples that greviously challenges those principles of equality and freedom would signify so much more. Still, things have gone a long way since then... A way to further build upon those ideologies and learn from the tragedys that had occured but it's hard to tell if something like that is even achievable in a fullest sense.

IMO, don't be too attached to an imaginary past. Enjoy the uniqueness of you in the present, even if it's a culture of one. Be an individual, and blaze a trail forward.

True. Yet I think a collective endeeavor based on its historical signifence creates who we are as individuals as much as ourselves. If such passes, it passes, yet endeavoring to preserve I think is still rather importaint.

Twilight Hue

I feel similarly sometimes, when we seem so disparate, even torn apart sometimes as Americans. What exactly do I belong to here?

I just came back from a trip to several European countries,- hardly the most exotic destinations, but I felt like kissing the ground when I got back to the States. It reminds me that we really do have a distinct culture that is utterly unique in the world and something to cherish i think- even though, maybe particularly because, we are from such diverse origins- it makes our shared culture more meaningful maybe.

Exactly. I think people forget and look ahead well for the most part, but so many don't look back and reflect enough to notice things like that.

David1967

Premium Member
Been watching lately a particular group of Native American musicians perform and was touched deeply with an appreciation and admiration by the way heritage and culture can be displayed through music and song so passionately and clearly. It really made an emotional impact and got some things started in my mind.

It caused me to pause and think of my own ancestry, but being adopted, its hard to determine where exactly I actually belong cuturally. Sometimes, I don't want to know.

Being born American, watching the recent trends and disposition of my countrymen and women as of late, I suddenly realise that there is no discernable culture by which I can be proud of, experience, and share with others.

I'm regarded as Caucasian, and I have no demonstrable culture that comes to mind that I can share and be proud of. I end up adopting bits and pieces of cultures from others for inspiration and focus being proud for those reasons by way its demonstrated , and feeling disgusted and alienated with my own. Endeavoring to persevere.

I placed this into discussion, as there is nothing worth debating as much as am wondering if there are others who may feel like their in the same boat by which in feeling, there is little to share and be proud of as it pertains to their heritage and ancestry.

Is something like culture and ancestry importaint to you?

Something worth preserving?

It's something I think is worth discussing because I'm thinking if there is no culture, no heritage, there will consequently be no direction as a people.

Many times I had felt like, "Little Big Man" pretty much throughout my entire life so far.

I have a similar story. I was adopted shortly after I was born. When I was about thirty I actually got to meet my birth mother. (What a relief to find that she was a good person). Through that I was able to find out about my ancestry. German, English and a little French. Doesn't change anything but it was interesting to know. Have you ever tried to find out who your biological parents are?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Do I have to remind anyone of the hazards of racial supremacy?

Or feeling racially or ethnically inferior and disappointed in their ancestry. There are people on the forums of AncestryDNA and 23andMe that actually say they were disappointed to find out they have X ancestry, or don't have X ancestry as they thought (hoped?) they did. One person was disappointed to find out her test came back 99% European. o_O

Twilight Hue

I have a similar story. I was adopted shortly after I was born. When I was about thirty I actually got to meet my birth mother. (What a relief to find that she was a good person). Through that I was able to find out about my ancestry. German, English and a little French. Doesn't change anything but it was interesting to know. Have you ever tried to find out who your biological parents are?
I know my real birth name, but not the circumstances although i was told I had been abused as an infant and placed in foster care. It's difficult because the records have been legally sealed as I was born in the sixties. I'm in my early fifties now, so there's a fair chance my parents might be dead or infirmed. That aspect I figured as best to lay at rest with a good maybe that I'd be sought out, but I'm willing to let it go with little to regret. I was thinking more in line with DNA testing to locate the ethnic groups I belong to. I suspect it is German and Polish. One heckofva combo ! DNA testing is too expensive for me atm. The kit is cheap, but the testing is not.

Twilight Hue

Or feeling racially or ethnically inferior and disappointed in their ancestry. There are people on the forums of AncestryDNA and 23andMe that actually say they were disappointed to find out they have X ancestry, or don't have X ancestry as they thought (hoped?) they did. One person was disappointed to find out her test came back 99% European. o_O

I at times find myself wanting of other cultures. Wishing I could have played a part knowing that Its something that I can't rightfully lay claim, or be a part of in a way of expression that is hard to compare.

Problem being of European decent is the demonizing and accusations as being part of something seen as culturaly oppressive, and harmful as opposed to something welcoming and warm even though Europeans historically have had much to offer and share with others.

I remember someone mentioning once that Europeans became so successful and vast, they essentally cancelled themselves out from a cultural standpoint to that of being commonplace.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think a lot of European-Americans have a lot to be embarassed about. I'm not proud of being culturally associated with the Mafia. But there's also a lot to be proud of. I just take it in stride.

On one hand I'm almost sorry I had that blasted DNA test done, but on the other hand it makes me wonder who was that man 20,000 years ago who started my yDNA line? Who was that woman 35,000 years ago who started my maternal line?

Where did they go, what did they do? I know where they originated. What languages did they and their descendants speak? If you're the thinking type it can be really interesting. But you can't have any preconceived notions of what you are. That's when you get the "you mean I'm not descended from a Cherokee princess!?" :(

roger1440

I do stuff
As for me, i have no interest in my ancestry. More then likely my ancestors came to the United States to find a better life. More then likely they said to themselves, "screw you we are out of here", and never looked back. I was born in the United States. My parents were born in the United States. Three of my four grandparents were born in the United States. Never was the "old country" ever mentioned. Never was there any foreign flag flown in my home as a child, nor any foreign tradtions or customs every practiced. It takes a lot of guts to leave everything behind and start fresh. To have to chutzpah to go into uncharted terertory and call it home, i can admire that. That chutzpah is part of most Americans ancestry. Our American ancestors were the losers of the world. But they were not content with that. They picked themselves up, brushed themselves off and moved forward to make a better life for themselves. That tradition is still followed today. That is our culture.

MD

qualiaphile
Having lived in many countries, including America, Americans have their own culture. You guys may not have a long history, but you definitely have your traditions and culture.