• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I want to be more involved into Christianity in life and I have no idea where to start

Logan8

I grew up in the deep south and my family and I always went to church on Sunday mornings also I did a lot of bible school in the summer. When I was younger I really did not like the concept of going to church at all, as time went on I stopped going but my family would always go. I am now entering my freshman year of college and I am starting to realize I took church for granted and I definitely want to be closer to god and follow faith more. Any suggestions or help would mean a lot, thanks.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Which God?
Even with the Christian God there are around a thousand different denominations. Which will bring you closer to God?

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
Perhaps check out all your local churches and see which one you prefer?

And maybe do some research on the denominations that have churches that are local to you?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I grew up in the deep south and my family and I always went to church on Sunday mornings also I did a lot of bible school in the summer. When I was younger I really did not like the concept of going to church at all, as time went on I stopped going but my family would always go. I am now entering my freshman year of college and I am starting to realize I took church for granted and I definitely want to be closer to god and follow faith more. Any suggestions or help would mean a lot, thanks.
If you are going to college, have you tried the campus Christian ministry to develop community and find where they go to?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Which God?

There is only one God that Christians follow
Even with the Christian God

God is not “Christian”. He is God. Christians simply acknowledge that Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. Christian simply means a Christ follower

there are around a thousand different denominations.

Yes… It is likened to a body. A body has many parts and they don’t look like each other but they are all part of the same body.

Which will bring you closer to God?

That’s a good question. Another poster said, “look for a church that speaks to you”. Sound advise IMV.

wellwisher

One way to start is by getting one of those red letter bibles. All the quotes of Jesus, that are the foundation of Christianity, are isolated for you via red letters. Just read those quotes, and then do some church hopping to find a place that feels like home. It is better to do some homework ahead of time, so you can discuss things, allowing you to be better prepared for making a choice from the Churches. The red quotes are very positive and do not get you bogged down in fire and brimstone; love dispels fear and faith before law.

Logan8

If you are going to college, have you tried the campus Christian ministry to develop community and find where they go to?
I don’t think my college has that,I’ve only been to campus twice due to the fact is far from home. I can do some research and get back to you.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I recommend you read a memoir by the Reverend Barbara Brown Taylor entitled Leaving Church. All of her inspirational books are great reads, but in this memoir she was once where you now are -- other than her family were not church goers. Her childhood experience that pulled her back occurred outside her immediate family. I had a very involved church attendance childhood, so I'm aware of what you're missing. Give the short book a read and I think you'll find just where to start for you.

Logan8

I recommend you read a memoir by the Reverend Barbara Brown Taylor entitled Leaving Church. All of her inspirational books are great reads, but in this memoir she was once where you now are -- other than her family were not church goers. Her childhood experience that pulled her back occurred outside her immediate family. I had a very involved church attendance childhood, so I'm aware of what you're missing. Give the short book a read and I think you'll find just where to start for you.
Thank you

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Ideally when you visit a church take a friend along with you. This will help you in some ways. You will feel more relaxed. People will feel more relaxed when you approach them. This helps, because you will more quickly be able to determine if it is your destiny to attend there or whether to keep visiting churches. Two heads are better than one, but also it will help people to connect with you. Therefore go with a friend. Perhaps you have friends already who attend church, and perhaps they'd be willing to attend other churches with you until you find something.

I Am Hugh

Researcher

Yes, stay out of church. Your disliking for it was reasonable, now the things you miss about it have little to nothing to do with God.

I Am Hugh

Researcher
Seems to me you're making a lot of assumptions based on your own experiences, principles and preferences.
What else would I base it upon? My advice was asked and I gave it. If, the stated objective is to get closer to god and follow faith church is the wrong place to do that, in my opinion. If you've matured in your life to the point of starting a family and culture, society, tradition and family are important to you then I advise go to church.