• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I want to be more involved into Christianity in life and I have no idea where to start

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
What else would I base it upon? My advice was asked and I gave it. If, the stated objective is to get closer to god and follow faith church is the wrong place to do that, in my opinion. If you've matured in your life to the point of starting a family and culture, society, tradition and family are important to you then I advise go to church.
My point was less about what you are basing your advice on and more about the assumptions you made about the OP at the back end of your statement. In my experience, making assumptions about what a person dislikes about something and/or person's reasons for missing something aren't helpful.

I Am Hugh

Researcher
My point was less about what you are basing your advice on and more about the assumptions you made about the OP at the back end of your statement. In my experience, making assumptions about what a person dislikes about something and/or person's reasons for missing something aren't helpful.
I see, but they weren't assumptions, they were stated clearly in the OP.

PureX

Veteran Member
My only advice would be to stay relaxed about it. You are not lost to God and God is not lost to you. Whomever and wherever you are. There is no urgency, nor reason to be concerned. Try some different church groups. Read some different Christian interpretations (or others). Consider the different paths and perhaps walk them a little to see if they fit you spiritually.

It's all good. It's all just part of our human journey. Your God is always there with you, even if you can't see how in the moment. Be at peace. God is a mystery to us all.

I Am Hugh

Researcher
I must have missed that. Where in the OP did they list what they disliked or the things they miss?
The OP stated that they didn't like attending church while growing up, but that later, as a freshman in college started to realize they took church for granted and definitely want to be closer to god and follow faith more, then asked for suggestions or help. I advised to stay away from church.

So, the OP didn't state missing anything, I didn't say they did say that and you didn't say that I had either. The thing the OP did state was disliking church while growing up. It doesn't appear that I made any assumptions which means your statement that I had made assumptions is incorrect. So, now I am making the assumption that your objection is really about something else. Something you aren't saying. The OP and my response were simple and straight forward, so let's you and I take another approach.

Do you disagree with my advice or suggestion to stay away from church? Do you think it bad advice or do you think that even while having been asked for it I should not have given it?

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
The OP stated that they didn't like attending church while growing up, but that later, as a freshman in college started to realize they took church for granted and definitely want to be closer to god and follow faith more, then asked for suggestions or help. I advised to stay away from church.

So, the OP didn't state missing anything, I didn't say they did say that and you didn't say that I had either.
I'll just leave this here...
...now the things you miss about it have little to nothing to do with God.

Do you disagree with my advice or suggestion to stay away from church?
This isn't a debate forum, so if I did, I wouldn't be able to express that ITT.

Do you think it bad advice or do you think that even while having been asked for it I should not have given it?
I can't say that it's good or bad advice. I'm saying you lacked information to give informed advice. You offered advice based on assumptions.

I Am Hugh

Researcher
I'll just leave this here...

I went through and read the post three times and didn't see that, so I stand corrected.

This isn't a debate forum, so if I did, I wouldn't be able to express that ITT.

I would say that you and I are having a discussion, not a debate. We may disagree and naturally express that, which to me, isn't necessarily debate. To me debate is to argue about (a subject), especially in a formal manner.

I can't say that it's good or bad advice. I'm saying you lacked information to give informed advice. You offered advice based on assumptions.

Informed?

Perhaps I should elaborate more on my advice to stay away from church in the OP's specific case with the information I was given. My experience with church and churchgoers has been that it has little to do with God or faith in God. Faith is used in two distinctly different ways, 1. Trust, belief i.e. "Faith in politicians" and 2. a system of religious belief i.e. "Of the Christian faith." Here the first is assumed to have been the case because God was mentioned in that context. The OP hated church, i.e. the Christian faith, but now, as a freshman in college feels they had taken it for granted.

The things they missed were tradition and culture. So, what typically happens is the children of the faithful (faith in religion, as opposed to faith in God) are dragged to church, which is difficult for the young (due to their vitality, energy) and they see the hypocrisy of their parents and other churchgoers and so leave. Then when they are ready to start a family, they want to go back to church for traditional and cultural reasons. They've spent their energy, and are now ready to settle down. In doing this they, in turn, exchange their faith in God for religious faith.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Perhaps I should elaborate more on my advice to stay away from church in the OP's specific case with the information I was given. My experience with church and churchgoers has been that it has little to do with God or faith in God. Faith is used in two distinctly different ways, 1. Trust, belief i.e. "Faith in politicians" and 2. a system of religious belief i.e. "Of the Christian faith." Here the first is assumed to have been the case because God was mentioned in that context. The OP hated church, i.e. the Christian faith, but now, as a freshman in college feels they had taken it for granted.
The OP said they did not like the concept of going to church. Saying the OP "hated church" is another assumption, or at least an exaggeration is what was said.

The things they missed were tradition and culture.
Another assumption. We don't know exactly what the OP missed. I could assume that the OP misses the yummy communion wafers, because that's what I miss most about going to church.

So, what typically happens is the children of the faithful (faith in religion, as opposed to faith in God) are dragged to church, which is difficult for the young (due to their vitality, energy) and they see the hypocrisy of their parents and other churchgoers and so leave. Then when they are ready to start a family, they want to go back to church for traditional and cultural reasons. They've spent their energy, and are now ready to settle down. In doing this they, in turn, exchange their faith in God for religious faith.
"What typically happens" isn't necessarily what happened in this case. We can think we know based on our own personal experiences, but we have no way of knowing what happened unless we ask.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
What else would I base it upon? My advice was asked and I gave it. If, the stated objective is to get closer to god and follow faith church is the wrong place to do that, in my opinion. If you've matured in your life to the point of starting a family and culture, society, tradition and family are important to you then I advise go to church.
I agree with you about staying out of church to get closer to God, but the OP is that he wants a more involved Christian life. For that he needs to carefully find his niche. Everyone needs to follow their own path and if his current calling is for the Christian life, then that's the direction he needs to follow.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I grew up in the deep south and my family and I always went to church on Sunday mornings also I did a lot of bible school in the summer. When I was younger I really did not like the concept of going to church at all, as time went on I stopped going but my family would always go. I am now entering my freshman year of college and I am starting to realize I took church for granted and I definitely want to be closer to god and follow faith more. Any suggestions or help would mean a lot, thanks.
Look up churches near you online and visit ones that stand out to you and whose approach resonates with you.

Shaul

Premium Member
Do you want more Christianity in your life or more Christ? Those are different things. Focus on the most important things. The most important thing in this case is your relationship with Jesus according to the Christian New Testament. Work on your relationship with him day by day.

I am not a Christian, but I hope you find what you are looking for and need most. Here are some songs that you might find encouraging and uplifting.

Blessings to you and Shalom

Alien826

No religious beliefs
If you are going to college, have you tried the campus Christian ministry to develop community and find where they go to?

I would advise against going to one of these Campus ministries. No doubt they vary, but my (ex) step-daughter was ensnared by one of them and ended up so far to the right religiously that she has refused to let her mother be alone with her children, saying that she (her mother, my ex wife) is "of the devil" because she doesn't believe exactly as she does.

PureX

Veteran Member
I would advise against going to one of these Campus ministries. No doubt they vary, but my (ex) step-daughter was ensnared by one of them and ended up so far to the right religiously that she has refused to let her mother be alone with her children, saying that she (her mother, my ex wife) is "of the devil" because she doesn't believe exactly as she does.
That is sad.

I am of the opinion that any religious organization that thinks it has to "outreach" to gain members is an organization to be seriously avoided. Same goes for any religious organization that has their primary focus on adherence to their religious dogma, as opposed to genuine altruism toward their fellow humans.

I Am Hugh

Researcher
I agree with you about staying out of church to get closer to God, but the OP is that he wants a more involved Christian life. For that he needs to carefully find his niche. Everyone needs to follow their own path and if his current calling is for the Christian life, then that's the direction he needs to follow.

There are positive and negative aspects of spirituality. I believe it to be a spiritual destruction. Christian life should be following the discipline of Christ and learning his teachings. Organized religion creates the illusion of that while destroying spirituality, for culture and tradition, greed, lust, power and ego. The religion, in essence, becomes the god. Imatio Dei.

PureX

Veteran Member
There are positive and negative aspects of spirituality. I believe it to be a spiritual destruction. Christian life should be following the discipline of Christ and learning his teachings. Organized religion creates the illusion of that while destroying spirituality, for culture and tradition, greed, lust, power and ego. The religion, in essence, becomes the god. Imatio Dei.
We humans do that with everything. But not always, or all the time.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I fully understand your point. I have not been a member of any church for 40 years, and for 30 of those years stayed clear of any entanglement. But in the past decade, since retirement, I've found a very comfortable niche with several churches. I still do not get evolved with Sunday school and services, but it's by my choice. I have my beliefs and my way of living those belisfs. IMO, everyone needs to find and follow their own path and live their religious beliefs as long as they harm no one.

Now, as far as the religion becoming the god; I was surprised to read you follow the literature of the Watchtower. I greatly admire the dedication JWs give to their religion, and for the most part find them to be loving, giving children of God. In fact I had a brief but pleasant visit just yesterday. However, I find JWs' regard of the Bible too lofty. They leave no room for anything not written in the Bible as interpreted by their spiritual leaders as posted on jw.org. What are your thoughts on holding the Bible so highly?

I Am Hugh

Researcher
I fully understand your point. I have not been a member of any church for 40 years, and for 30 of those years stayed clear of any entanglement. But in the past decade, since retirement, I've found a very comfortable niche with several churches. I still do not get evolved with Sunday school and services, but it's by my choice. I have my beliefs and my way of living those belisfs. IMO, everyone needs to find and follow their own path and live their religious beliefs as long as they harm no one.

I'm glad that you have found a very comfortable niche there and I agree everyone needs to find and follow their own path.

Now, as far as the religion becoming the god; I was surprised to read you follow the literature of the Watchtower.

Follow? I wouldn't put it that way. In fact, I think the Bible is the most important literature ever produced I wouldn't say that I follow it any more than I follow a dictionary or encyclopedia. But words are like everything, they mean different things to individuals. By not following I mean I don't take the Watchtower literature or the Bible as ultimate truth to live by. If by follow you mean seriously consider the council of then, yes, I follow. But not the Watchtower, only the literature and not that I accept it all and act accordingly, but that I consider them (WT literature and the Bible) as good council.

I greatly admire the dedication JWs give to their religion, and for the most part find them to be loving, giving children of God.

I agree. In fact, I've worked with them, visited their homes, ate with them. They were very kind and helpful to me during my study with them. My mother became a baptized JW for years before her death about a year ago.

In fact I had a brief but pleasant visit just yesterday. However, I find JWs' regard of the Bible too lofty. They leave no room for anything not written in the Bible as interpreted by their spiritual leaders as posted on jw.org. What are your thoughts on holding the Bible so highly?

I agree they do that and I've addressed my personal preference on the subject above. That is, in essence, one of the things that made me decide not to become one, but as you said, everyone needs to find their own path. My recommendations are just that, to be taken as council and decided upon by the individual. What works for me may not work for everyone. It's a personal responsibility that no one can truly delegate.

Sir Joseph

I grew up in the deep south and my family and I always went to church on Sunday mornings also I did a lot of bible school in the summer. When I was younger I really did not like the concept of going to church at all, as time went on I stopped going but my family would always go. I am now entering my freshman year of college and I am starting to realize I took church for granted and I definitely want to be closer to god and follow faith more. Any suggestions or help would mean a lot, thanks.

I don't want to counter and argue others here, but I will caution you Logan8 that the majority of responses thus given do not represent a path towards Christianity.

It's understandably hard for a person to pick and choose a religion, given the wide choices available in the world today. And even Christianity, which I believe is the only one true religion, is full of false churches, preachers, teachers, and doctrines. Thus, you cannot simply attend the nearest church, nor can you settle for the one that makes you feel good or comfortable. That's a formula for people that want spirituality, not for those that want a genuine relationship with God.

If you want a genuine relationship with God - your Creator, Lord, and Savior as held by the Christian faith - you must first understand that the Bible is the very foundation of that faith. It is the objective standard of all truth to be used in judging all religions, denominations, and teachings. Of course followers of other faiths would reject that premise, but unfortunately a very large number of professing Christians and Catholics do also - and there's entire churches full of them.

If you don't yet fully appreciate the reason why Christianity is the world's one true religion and the Bible is God's inspired word, I'd suggest you grow your faith first by studying apologetics. It's a fascinating topic with enough material to keep one busy for years, but I can save you a lot of time and trouble by recommending some of my favorite, best, Bible based video sermons and presentations.

As you study Christian apologetics, you'll learn that the Old Testament is full of prophesy and history that's applicable to the New Testament and world around us today. Sure, there's more there than anyone can comprehend on a first reading, but I'd suggest that a full read through it starting with Genesis is worthwhile. With that, you'll spend a life-time listening to others explain the infinite details, insights, and importance of the scriptures. It is, in short, amazing stuff.

So, while you study apologetics, read the Bible, and pray on your own, what about the need for church? I understand the disdain by many for organized religion and I recognize that the number of bad churches far outnumber good ones. I'd suggest that it's better to avoid church rather than go to a bad one. Remember, the goal isn't spirituality; the goal is a proper relationship with God. But Christians have a second purpose in life beyond knowing and loving God, and that's learning how to love people. That starts with one's church family, so keep it in mind as an important part of your growing walk in the faith. I have some insights there to share when you like, but you've enough on your plate already with this post.

If you want more of my insights or direction, feel free to ask here or privately.