• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God Created Everything Who Created God????

robtex

Veteran Member
I think the common theory is that God is self created or always existed. The greater irony though is the notion that God can be self created or always exist but the universe cannot.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
robtex said:
I think the common theory is that God is self created or always existed. The greater irony though is the notion that God can be self created or always exist but the universe cannot.

how is that ironic? science believed not too long ago that the universe always existed until the Big Bang theory was presented. it was science that changed this idea, not religion.
i fail to see the problem

robtex

Veteran Member
jewscout said:
how is that ironic? science believed not too long ago that the universe always existed until the Big Bang theory was presented. it was science that changed this idea, not religion.
i fail to see the problem

It is ironic because many, if not most theists accept the idea that God could have always existed or have self-created yet reject the notion that the universe could not have always existed or been self-created.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
robtex said:
It is ironic because many, if not most theists accept the idea that God could have always existed or have self-created yet reject the notion that the universe could not have always existed or been self-created.

well doesn't science reject the idea that the universe has always existed?
isn't that why we have the big bang theory?

(i'm not saying either way i'm just asking for my own personal knowledge)

evearael

Astrophysics has gone back and forth with whether or not the universe has a definite beginning and a definite end, or if it is cyclical. It is much to soon to call.

robtex

Veteran Member
jewscout said:
well doesn't science reject the idea that the universe has always existed?
isn't that why we have the big bang theory?

(i'm not saying either way i'm just asking for my own personal knowledge)

Huff, your missing the point. The point is that many theists surmise that God has always existed or was self-created yet won't entertain the notion that universe was anything other than created by God, which would include notions of the unverise being self-created or having always existed. In summary:

many theists

God= self created or always existed
Universe = created by God impossible to have been self-created or always existed.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
robtex said:
God= self created or always existed
Universe = created by God impossible to have been self-created or always existed.

This deffinately fits my belief...

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
It's impossible for us to understand the concept of 'always been' Time has always been. There is no end to space. We cannot, in reality fathom this. If something created God, then what created the creator? and what created that? There is no beginning.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
jeffrey said:
It's impossible for us to understand the concept of 'always been' Time has always been. There is no end to space. We cannot, in reality fathom this. If something created God, then what created the creator? and what created that? There is no beginning.

and on and on and on...round and round we go...:dan:

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
how did god get there in the first place???? something had to create him.

In a debate like this one, you have already messed up. You can't apply man's laws and rules, or man's standards and expectations to God. God is God. Nothing had to create him. He was just there.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Christiangirl0909 said:
In a debate like this one, you have already messed up. You can't apply man's laws and rules, or man's standards and expectations to God. God is God. Nothing had to create him. He was just there.
Can I ask by which means you acquired this knowledge?

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Can I ask by which means you acquired this knowledge?

Being God, He is all-powerful. He can do anything. That puts him beyond our laws, even beyond our understanding. It's sort of obvious, isn't it? That is someone is all powerful, nothing that applies to us has to apply to them.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
Christiangirl0909 said:
Being God, He is all-powerful. He can do anything. That puts him beyond our laws, even beyond our understanding. It's sort of obvious, isn't it?
No, not really. If she/he/it is beyond our understanding how can anything about them possibly be obvious?

Opethian

It's just as possible, or even more likely, that the universe has always existed, than that there is a god that started it.

Aquinas offered a pretty good argument for the contingency and thus finiteness of the universe – as did Aristotle and others - and the argument still stands.

Aquinas, in so doing, also offered a pretty good argument that contingent nature cannot create itself, which still stands, so an argument has to be put forward to counter that one.

Aquinas thus argued for the existence of God in principle, but not God as Christianity understand the term, as this results from Revelation, not philosophy, and thus cannot be proven.

Whilst theists argue that God created the universe, the counter-argument that the universe is eternal and self-creating is likewise an article of faith, as there is no proof as such to support the argument.

There are basically three arguments:
The argument from sufficient reason (Liebnitz)
Nothing exists without sufficient reason and therefore a cause

The argument from contingency (Aristotle, Aquinas, et al.)
As above, plus:
Movement/change in a thing can only take place when caused by something external to itself ... a refinement of the above argument.

The 'Kalaam' argument
That the universe had a beginning in time - and that an infinite can only exists in theory, but not in actuality as a complete thing.

One can aaccept or reject the arguments, but one cannot prove or disprove them, although the theory and evidence stacks up prtetty favourably on the side of a finite universe.

All argue that the Cause without Cause, the First Cause, the Unmoved Mover etc., can be called God - the definition of God being that which causes/moves but is not itself caused/moved - but none of these arguments are in any way proofs of God as Christianity would understand the term.

Thomas