• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God created everything why didn't he create it perfect?

look3467

Premium Member
If we are to believe in God, not a god but God, then everything about Him must be perfect in every way.

I have to include this few words from the following verse: "it was good".

The word "perfect" is by me, defined as "right".

God made it right for the purpose.

Everything is neatly woven together "right" for it's purpose purposeful design.

Look around and see it in everything.

We are born to die.

So, everything God made He approved as "good".

Perfect in every way for it's intended purpose.

We were also created right to, perfect in every way for our intended purpose, being made in His image.

The point in all of it?

Is the struggle.

When everything is perfectly perfect, there is no distinction between was is "good" and what is not. Hence the struggle.

Opposition is the key to unlocking the good that is within, to do it right is the desire.

A perfect heart is said to be right.....with God.

Having a right heart with God is the state of perfection.

Blessings, AJ

Wombat

Someone could argue, "But in a world where you could only stub your toe, you'd be complaining about that being such a terrible thing that exists." I could see their point here, but at the same time it seems obvious that the extent of physical suffering in this world exceeds some difficult-to-define limit. I don't know when to start calling a pile of sand a pile of sand (assuming I start with one grain and add a grain at a time) but I know a pile when I see one..

I guess we part cosmological company at the point of "it seems obvious that the extent of physical suffering in this world exceeds some difficult-to-define limit"...this does not seem at all "obvious" to me. I would hedge arround the "difficult-to-define limit" as 'intollerable' or 'unliveable'...and I don't believe life is.
Some, in profoundly distressing circumstances, find it so...but others in equaly distressing circumstances (or worse) live on, gain, and are strengthened rather than crushed.

Just as we can conceptualize the remouval of Lukemia and a world in which the greatest pain is a stubbed toe...we can also ramp it up, and consider the 'intollerable' posibilities that the universe (in it's blind evolution) could just as well have thrown our way. Shift the earth a space fraction either way from the Sun and we either unliveable burn or frease...roll the biology dice again and we are up against large flying scorpions...or plagues and diseases that are not the result of (or curable by) collective hygiene or diet.

Sure, the world can be painfull/heartbreaking....but it could (and in a random/ungoverned universe possibly should) also be a lot lot worse.
'
So, it seems a fair question to me to ask why such things exist if the creator has certain attributes such as omnipotence and omniscience.

It is a fair question. Can I ask another in the attempt to answer it....?

Is there >anything< in the world, any disease, difficulty or natural condition, throughout human history...that we have come up against and found to be 'intollerable' and/or irresolveable? Devoid of even the hope of overcomming?

Death would be a candidate....but they tell me the future of death may be shortlived;)

waitasec

Veteran Member
Because people who do not know Abrahamic religion tend to not know Abrahamic religion :D

You can't presume to have a valid opinion on God if you only look at the bad and not the good. There are, believe it or not, connections and rationale in it's entirety that really dismantle a lot of the common indiscretions some have.

a critical thinker would dismiss the abrahamic god because todays average 5th grader knows more about the world than what an ancient tribal bronze age person knew.
"god" is not the answer, god is just another excuse for a whole lot of things...bad and good...so what separates the idea of god from anything else good or bad? nothing. nothing at all.
i'm not impressed.

Sum1sGruj

a critical thinker would dismiss the abrahamic god because todays average 5th grader knows more about the world than what an ancient tribal bronze age person knew.
"god" is not the answer, god is just another excuse for a whole lot of things...bad and good...so what separates the idea of god from anything else good or bad? nothing. nothing at all.
i'm not impressed.

I'm not impressed by your rants. Nothing disproves the Abrahamic God, even the Vatican has stated that ToE does not hurt the religion. I just find half of ToE to be a load of crap.
Science is just an excuse to be subjective about what you do or don't want to believe. Because of scientific definitions of 'hypothesis' and 'theory' and whatnot, people have brainwashed their selves with an idea that anything can be explained and just meets the purge otherwise.
Let's put it this way: If God were to pop up in a busy city for all to see, it would not change the entire worlds belief. And eventually, it will become a mere legend.
So you can't really ridicule anything about religion, but rather the disbelief of man in general.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've rearranged the order of some of your statements so that I could respond to similar statements in groups.

That's not what I was doing: I was using that as a critique of the POE. My own beliefs or opinions about the existence of God or His nature is something else all together.

OK, just to make things clearer? I'm not an agnostic. I have my own definite beliefs and these land me pretty squarely in the theist camp.

Thing is: I'm leaving my beliefs out of this debate because they have no bearing on the question. If I wanted to answer the OP in accordance with my own theology, all my posts so far would look completely different.
I'm not saying that you're personally an agnostic. I'm saying that the position you're taking to defend against PoE is one of extreme agnosticism.

there's no need to admit that God isn't perfect, unless or until it's been demonstrated conclusively that our perception of imperfection in the world necessitates an imperfect Creator.

Nope: again, the issue is the validity of the POE.

It's easier that way, both sides will either have to agree to disagree or just disagree. :p

the argument is open to anyone who's willing to accept any of those ideas for the sake of argument too.

None of that is true: like any other topic that puts forth a premise for the sake of argument, or asks something that could be considered even hypothetically "If there is a God, how could He be perfect and create an imperfect world?" the argument is open to anyone.

again; it's a logical problem, not a theological one.
I made my position pretty clear- I'm not saying you have to admit that god isn't perfect. I'm not arguing that PoE renders god impossible.

I'm saying, however, that PoE is a very striking criticism of the hypothesis of a perfect god, and that in order to have a level of validity that even comes close to matching other hypotheses, adequate answers need to be provided.

There are basically two ways to go about attempting to defend against PoE that I've seen:

A) Utilize an extreme form of agnosticism, where the person basically implies, "As long as I'm not omniscient, even though I cannot answer why grievous suffering exists despite the proposal of a perfect god, the hypothesis of a perfect god still has merit and can stand its ground against other answers". This is inaccurate- the only thing extreme agnosticism leads to is non-falsifiability, rather than an adequate defense. And it's applied inconsistently.

b) Utilize theologies to defend against the problem. Contrary to what you've said, just because something is a logical problem doesn't mean it's a problem that theologies don't apply to. For instance, if I say, "letting an eight year old child suffer grievously and die due to Black Death shows that god is callous or incapable", you could respond with "the proposed existence of a joyful afterlife for this child reduces your argument significantly". Extreme forms of agnosticism rely on this sort of thing indirectly without mentioning them, but implying the existence of numerous options like these. Basically, without these theologies, the argument is dead in the water.

Which hypothesis of God? there are several.
Any of them involving a perfect god. And especially ones involving loving or personal gods. (One would probably find it easier to argue for the existence of something like Nirguna Brahman in the face of PoE than a personal and proposed omnipotent and loving deity).

Only as a response to to what I'm assuming was a tongue in cheek post by someone else.

In the big picture, almost all if not all diseases are the result of lifestyle choices: whether we're talking about an individuals choice to smoke tobacco, or our ancestors choice to adopt a settled agrarian existence.

I find a lot of irony in it, but it isn't a defense, it's an indictment.

What is this based on? I know when I was in college my world history prof brought this up, and after class I asked him why this should be so since the early European explorers consistently remarked on the fact that the indigenous, "primitive" people they encountered tended to live relatively long lives and remained viral and active well into what Europeans of that time would have considered advanced old age.

He mumbled something about dental evidence in unearthed human remains and infant mortality and made it clear that he didn't actually know himself. :p

So anyway, sincere question; what is the idea that our hunter/gather ancestors life expectency was in the range you gave based on?
From what I understand, it's based on analyzing bones found from them, and also comparing modern hunter-gatherers (with modern ones, they can analyze them with sharp precision, even though they use tribes that are completely or nearly completely untouched by the outside).

In the wild, without medicine, and without the ability to deal with many types of bad injuries, and with less stable food supplies, and more run-ins with wild animals, the rate of survival decreases.

This study provides some numbers on modern hunter-gatherers.
http://www.unm.edu/~hkaplan/KaplanHillLancasterHurtado_2000_LHEvolution.pdf

During the ice ages, maybe. I would call that special circumstances.

Exactly, and since it's a deal we agreed to the idea that most of our present ills are anyone's responsibility but our own is a bit irresponsible.

And that is an assumption.

How do you know they aren't enjoying this? We seem to.

Life is a struggle. Apparently, it's supposed to be. why should we see that as a negative, or assume that any other species does?

I didn't say they aren't cause for suffering. I said that over the course of an individuals lifetime, barring special circumstances (most of which we cause) those periods are going to be few and brief.

As far as \the length of timje it takes to die from any of the examples I gave:

Starvation: 2 months tops. Usually, a lot less time than that since starvation limits an animals ability to defend itself, even from the elements.

Dehydration: 3 days tops.

Injury: depending on what it is, the time will vary, but if it's a disabling injury the animal will die pretty quick just from not being able to cope with it's environment. If it isn't a disabling injury, the animal will either heal from it or adjust to it and it becomes a non-issue.
There have been some studies on baboons, and basically, females get stressed out by the presence of violent males, and males get stressed out if they are not the alpha male. It's a hard life for them if they are not at the top. Both psychologically and by measuring stress hormones.

Challenge and struggle is good in some ways, but nature applies struggles unevenly, applies them too much or too little, and applies rather messed-up ones like parasites that can get into your eyes and brain.

With most animals, most of the young die before reaching adulthood. And in that link I provided about modern hunter-gatherers, it said kids have something like a 60% chance of making it to 15 (which is actually really good compared to other species). I don't see why it would be surprising to see that humans don't live nearly as long without technology as we do without technology- we're already fairly high up on the spectrum of life-expectancies of species.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I've rearranged the order of some of your statements so that I could respond to similar statements in groups.

I'm not saying that you're personally an agnostic. I'm saying that the position you're taking to defend against PoE is one of extreme agnosticism.

No, it's an objective position.

I made my position pretty clear- I'm not saying you have to admit that god isn't perfect.

You missed my point: what I was getting at is that there's no need to admit that God isn't perfect IN ORDER TO NULLIFY THE SUPPOSED POINT BEING MADE BY THE POE unless or until it's been demonstrated conclusively that our perception of imperfection in the world necessitates an imperfect Creator".

I'm not arguing that PoE renders god impossible.

And I'm not arguing that penguins eat spagetti. What's your point? :shrug:

I'm saying, however, that PoE is a very striking criticism of the hypothesis of a perfect god, and that in order to have a level of validity that even comes close to matching other hypotheses, adequate answers need to be provided.

Yes, your saying that. I'm trying to show you why this is a flawed and biased approach to the topic.

There are basically two ways to go about attempting to defend against PoE that I've seen:

But the POE itself never needs to be defended? How's that work?

A) Utilize an extreme form of agnosticism, where the person basically implies, "As long as I'm not omniscient, even though I cannot answer why grievous suffering exists despite the proposal of a perfect god, the hypothesis of a perfect god still has merit and can stand its ground against other answers". This is inaccurate- the only thing extreme agnosticism leads to is non-falsifiability, rather than an adequate defense. And it's applied inconsistently.

b) Utilize theologies to defend against the problem. Contrary to what you've said, just because something is a logical problem doesn't mean it's a problem that theologies don't apply to. For instance, if I say, "letting an eight year old child suffer grievously and die due to Black Death shows that god is callous or incapable", you could respond with "the proposed existence of a joyful afterlife for this child reduces your argument significantly". Extreme forms of agnosticism rely on this sort of thing indirectly without mentioning them, but implying the existence of numerous options like these. Basically, without these theologies, the argument is dead in the water.

And if someone's not utilizing either a or b, you're going to disqualify their position out of hand, apparently.

Thats like saying: "my position is that the sky is green, and unless your position is either A) that's it's orange, or B) that there is no sky, then your position is automatically self-disqualifying". which of course leaves anybody with the idea that the sky is blue out of the argument.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Even when applied to ideas about God the concept of Perfection is problematic: If we use the relativistic definition of perfection what are we going to relate it to?

If we use the absolute definitions of perfection: that of which nothing better or greater could be conceived, it's kind of pointless to try and apply it to a concept that's already beyond our imagination's ability to conceive of.

What I'm saying is that I don't think a term like "perfect" applies. In it's absolute sense, I don't think the concept of perfection is applicable to anything, actual or abstract.
I think the relevant definition refers to completeness, wholeness and self-sufficiency. It's very applicable to anything, and even everything. Especially everything --the set of all things is complete (in containing all things), whole (in there being nothing else to contain), and self-sufficient (in that its antithesis is nothing, i.e. something cheats).

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the relevant definition refers to completeness,

Which is problematic if we're trying to apply it to an infinite being: 'complete" denotes an ending, a completion, something that has reached it's limit, something without any further potential.

In which case it must have had limited potential to begin with, which could itself be considered a flaw.

wholeness and self-sufficiency. It's very applicable to anything, and even everything. Especially everything --the set of all things is complete (in containing all things), whole (in there being nothing else to contain),

Which also suggests limits.

and self-sufficient (in that its antithesis is nothing).

"nothing" is not the opposite of an infinite something. "nothing" is a concept, and therefore a thing.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Which is problematic if we're trying to apply it to an infinite being...
Not if we leave off the "an" in front of "infinite being."

'complete" denotes an ending, a completion, something that has reached it's limit, something without any further potential.
Just so, sort of --all that "is".

In which case it must have had limited potential to begin with, which could itself be considered a flaw.
Limited potential "is." What sort of "flaw"?

Edit: More significantly, what makes it a "flaw"?

Which also suggests limits.
How so?

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
If life had a designer, and the designer was perfect, why isn't all life perfect?
Why is our trachea ventral (infront) of our oesophagus, (posing the risk of choking, meaning we have to have an epiglottis).
Why are our retinas inverted (i.e. the rods and cones point the wrong way round).

Why do biological proteins not always work efficient, e.g. RUBISCO has an oxygenase activity (an evolutionary accident).
And following from that, why are not all plants the more efficient C4 (or CAM) plants (most are C3).
Why didn't god just make them all the more efficient C4?

There are many more examples of imperfections in life...

All of the above can be explained by evolution, but why would a designer do this.

OK, I'm going to start over.

If we accept for the sake of argument the proposition that the term "perfect" applies to God, and agree that "Omniscient, Omni-present, Omni-beneficent, and infinite" is an acceptable definition of perfection when applied to God we can leave that aspect of the question alone and move onto the second part, "why isn't the world perfect".

My answer: because the concept of perfection is incompatable with the idea of infinity. Perfection suggests that which could never be improved upon. In order to achieve a world that couldnt be improved upon we would have to put limits on potential, and specifically in human imagination: a perfect world would have to be one for which nothing better could be imagined.

Again: this would require limits on A) the potential for good in the universe and B) the ability for the human imagination to think beyond it's present state (at which point it ceases to be imagination).

These limits could themselves be considered flaws and thus "perfection" is a logical impossibility.

If, as has been suggested more than once in this thread, we substitute some version of 'better" for "perfect", and ask "Why didn't God create a better world?", the answer is because in this usage of the word better it's being applied to a hypothetical, and the argument can be made that since God's thoughts create the world, it would be a logical impossibility for God to think hypothetically. Even if God were to tweak logic for us and go ahead and create a hypothetical world, His hypothetical worlds wouldn't do us anymore good than our own hypothetical ones, since they'd merely be hypothetical.

If we use the world as it is as our starting point and conceive of a "better" world, that world is only a better world until it becomes actualized, at which point it is no longer a "better" world, it's just the world.

The only way to maintain that new and improved version of the world's status as a "better" world, would be to continue to compare it to the world we just came from (this one) in which case, if "better" is the agreed upon operative definition for 'perfect", it would indeed be a better world.

But, if we decided that this was an acceptable method of achieving perfection---by comparing one world to another, inferior one---, it could easily be pointed out that via this method, we would also have to consider the world we presently exist in as perfect too, since we can conceive of worse worlds and in comparison to those, and using "better" as the operative definition of 'perfect", since this world is better from our perspective than, say, a world where 5000lb radio-active spiders were the apex predator, by our agreed upon method of determining perfection, the answer to the question "why didn't God create a perfect world" would have to be "He did".

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Not if we leave off the "an" in front of "infinite being."

Completeness applied to infinite being still sounds like a contradiction in terms to me: "being' , existence, isn't linear, if it were it wouldn't be infinite. Infinity, in order to be infinite, would have to be limitless in all ways, including in the way of potential.

Just so, sort of --all that "is".

But we'd have to leave out, or put limits on "all that can be".

Limited potential "is." What sort of "flaw"?

It's a flaw because it's a limit, and infinity with limits isn't infinity.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Completeness applied to infinite being still sounds like a contradiction in terms to me: "being' , existence, isn't linear, if it were it wouldn't be infinite. Infinity, in order to be infinite, would have to be limitless in all ways, including in the way of potential.
Why must it be "linear"?

Limits exist.

But we'd have to leave out, or put limits on "all that can be".
What sort of limits?

Existence cannot be limited, because limits exist.

It's a flaw because it's a limit, and infinity with limits isn't infinity.
But it's limited by nothing, so that's okay. Everything's being is limited by nothing.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Why must it be "linear"?

Limits exist.

But, again, if we apply those to infinity, it ceases to be infinite.

What sort of limits?

Whatever sort of limits the idea of "completion" implies. Most notably, limits on potential.

Existence cannot be limited, because limits exist.

When applied to individual aspects of reality, sure, but not when applied to existence itself, otherwise it isn't infinite, it's limited.

But it's limited by nothing, so that's okay. Everything's being is limited by nothing.

Then it couldn't possibly be complete.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
But, again, if we apply those to infinity, it ceases to be infinite.
An infinite number (for instance) of limits would still be infinite.

Whatever sort of limits the idea of "completion" implies. Most notably, limits on potential.
I see a few problems with this is: that things are, that they are just what they are, and that potential exists. A potential thing is not the thing.

Existence cannot be potential, because potential exists. (Something cheats.)

When applied to individual aspects of reality, sure, but not when applied to existence itself, otherwise it isn't infinite, it's limited.
Existence is not a thing, that we could go applying anything to it. Anything we might apply ...exists.
:)

That's why I suggested earlier that "infinite being" equates to all that "is". It's the quality of the "is"-ness of everything. It's complete unto itself, i.e. absolute, because without it there "is not" (anything).

Then it couldn't possibly be complete.
I deliberately neglected to address this earlier when it came up, but now it's being forced again. If you're going to address the concept of "nothing" rather than the content, then this whole conversation ceases to make sense.

Nothing, as a limit of anything or everything, is not a limit. It's not anything. A limit is something.
Edit: Which is simply to say: Things exist.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
An infinite number (for instance) of limits would still be infinite.

The number of limits would, but whatever you're applying those limits to wouldn't be.

I see a few problems with this is: that things are, that they are just what they are, and that potential exists. A potential thing is not the thing.

But potential is itself a thing.

Existence cannot be potential, because potential exists. (Something cheats.)

Then again existence can't be without potential otherwise it isn't infinite.

Existence is not a thing, that we could go applying anything to it. Anything we might apply ...exists.

Including potential, as well as infinity. Since they can't both exist, and yet they must both exist, we're kind of stuck with a paradox.

:)

That's why I suggested earlier that "infinite being" equates to all that "is". It's the quality of the "is"-ness of everything. It's complete unto itself, i.e. absolute, because without it there "is not" (anything).

Which is a limited definition. You're excluding all that can be. :D

Potentiality, as well as anything that could potentially exist, would have to be included in order for "infinite" to apply.

I deliberately neglected to address this earlier when it came up, but now it's being forced again. If you're going to address the concept of "nothing" rather than the content, then this whole conversation ceases to make sense.

You're asking that we take into consideration the "content" of nothing and you don't realize that the conversation has already ceased to make sense? :D

Nothing, as a limit of anything or everything, is not a limit. It's not anything. A limit is something.
Edit: Which is simply to say: Things exist.

And potentiality is a thing, even though it's just a concept. Why should we exclude concepts?

For potentiality to exist, we can't have completion. For completion to exist, potentiality must have been fulfilled in which case there is no more potential.

For infinity to exist, we have to have both, so once again we have a paradox.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
the set of all things is complete (in containing all things), whole (in there being nothing else to contain), and self-sufficient (in that its antithesis is nothing, i.e. something cheats).
The set of all possible things is actually a very sticky concept, formally. For instance, "the set of all possible subsets of all possible things" is a thing in itself. But we started with the set of everything, so how can we add something more?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The set of all possible things is actually a very sticky concept, formally. For instance, "the set of all possible subsets of all possible things" is a thing in itself. But we started with the set of everything, so how can we add something more?
Is the ability to add something more to it characteristic of a set? If not, what's the problem?