• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God incarnation, how do you know it is really Him ?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What do you think -- can be the true objective for God to incarnate on this earth ?
How should I know what His objectives might be? I don't even know that He exists.

When I mentioned objective evidence, I was talking about observable, repeatable, measurable, testable, falsifiable evidence; not the objectives of God.

Tinkerpeach

How should I know what His objectives might be? I don't even know that He exists.

When I mentioned objective evidence, I was talking about observable, repeatable, measurable, testable, falsifiable evidence; not the objectives of God.
Wouldn’t that kind of ruin the faith part?

If God pulled you up to Heaven and gave you a tour would you be a believer?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Wouldn’t that kind of ruin the faith part?

If God pulled you up to Heaven and gave you a tour would you be a believer?
Why should we desire or value faith? It's not a reliable tool for determining validity. It doesn't produce consistent results.
Wouldn't knowledge be preferable?

I'm sure that if the author of the entire universe wanted us to know him, he could find a way to convince us, but the plethora of conflicting religions and claims seems to indicate that He has no interest in our beliefs.

Tinkerpeach

Why should we desire or value faith? It's not a reliable tool for determining validity. It doesn't produce consistent results.
Wouldn't knowledge be preferable?

I'm sure that if the author of the entire universe wanted us to know him, he could find a way to convince us, but the plethora of conflicting religions and claims seems to indicate that He has no interest in our beliefs.
But He does convince us every day.

You need to be open to it first however.

I mean no offense but you remind me of a stubborn person standing there with your arms crossed in defiance saying prove it to me.

God has no interest in that.

If you humbly come to Him and ask for guidance and simply explain your situation you will be amazed how He begins to work in your life and you will have all the “proof” you could ask for.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But He does convince us every day.

You need to be open to it first however.
I've heard variations on this before. You have to accept the proposition before believing in it or being convinced. Kind of circular.
I mean no offense but you remind me of a stubborn person standing there with your arms crossed in defiance saying prove it to me.
OK, fair enough. But this is a religious debate thread. What are we doing here if not debating religion and its justifications?
If you want something perfect, correct, or without flaws, you actively seek and point out any flaws you find, just as one desiring good health seeks out a doctor to point out flaws in one's body or physiology.

We're hear to help one another find correct ideas, good government, good health, &c. We achieve these things by critical analysis; by actively seeking and correcting problems or flaws. Not to do so is unhelpful and unkind.

Me, I value truth. If I make a claim or proposal, I expect it to be questioned or attacked, and I appreciate it when flaws or errors are pointed out.

If you make a claim that's not questioned, don't you feel slighted?

God has no interest in that.

If you humbly come to Him and ask for guidance and simply explain your situation you will be amazed how He begins to work in your life and you will have all the “proof” you could ask for.
First believe, and the justifications and benefits will follow?
I know you're trying to be helpful, but this is kind of cart-before-horse reasoning, isn't it?
Like a placebo effect, the actual substance is of no import; some rationalization/benefit is sure to show up, given enough faith.

Tinkerpeach

I've heard variations on this before. You have to accept the proposition before believing in it or being convinced. Kind of circular.

OK, fair enough. But this is a religious debate thread. What are we doing here if not debating religion and its justifications?
If you want something perfect, correct, or without flaws, you actively seek and point out any flaws you find, just as one desiring good health seeks out a doctor to point out flaws in one's body or physiology.

We're hear to help one another find correct ideas, good government, good health, &c. We achieve these things by critical analysis; by actively seeking and correcting problems or flaws. Not to do so is unhelpful and unkind.

Me, I value truth. If I make a claim or proposal, I expect it to be questioned or attacked, and I appreciate it when flaws or errors are pointed out.

If you make a claim that's not questioned, don't you feel slighted?

First believe, and the justifications and benefits will follow?
I know you're trying to be helpful, but this is kind of cart-before-horse reasoning, isn't it?
Like a placebo effect, the actual substance is of no import; some rationalization/benefit is sure to show up, given enough faith.
Well considering what could be at stake I would think it would make sense to be open to it.

It’s not like it takes a huge effort to ask God to help you understand something.

But I suppose some people just can’t do it.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well considering what could be at stake I would think it would make sense to be open to it.

It’s not like it takes a huge effort to ask God to help you understand something.

But I suppose some people just can’t do it.
If He existed, and could read my soul, He'd be aware of my skepticism and self-serving gamble, would He not? He'd be rightfully annoyed.

The stakes, as you say, are numerous and varied. There are hundreds of religions promising all sorts of different punishments and rewards for the correct belief (theirs). How is one to choose, when the evidence for each is equal? Should one just roll the dice and hope for a winner?

Ordinarily one would assess the available, objective evidence, but when the only evidence is subjective and speculative, what is one to do -- especially when the more familiar, Abrahamic variants discourage the skepticism and critical analysis that a proper assessment would require.
Believe first and keep your fingers crossed doesn't sound like sound reasoning or a good gamble, to me.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If God incarnation, how do you know it is really Him, and not a fake one ?
If it was really God, everyone would know it was God. There is no mistaking the real God.
I have the perfect quote for you. :D

“Were the Eternal Essence to manifest all that is latent within Him, were He to shine in the plentitude of His glory, none would be found to question His power or repudiate His truth. Nay, all created things would be so dazzled and thunderstruck by the evidences of His light as to be reduced to utter nothingness. How, then, can the godly be differentiated under such circumstances from the froward?”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 71-72

Right after everyone eon earth recognized that it was God, everyone would all be reduced to utter nothingness, and that is one reason God never shows up on earth, but rather sends Messengers to represent Him.