• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If I figured out the unified theory of everything and...

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Maybe, I guess. But that would mean you'd have to put the item in there and never open the box again. This would mean you'd have to have a separate safety deposit box for each article/paper/idea/etc. That could get expensive quickly.

Yes, but this would be a small price to pay for protecting the discovery of a grand unification theory which would revolutionize our understanding of the universe, and ultimately result in practical applications we couldn't even begin to fathom at this point.

ATAT

It's critically important to also hire an armed guard for each box. rotating armed guards, never match the same two up for more than one shift, and have 'test' boxes which will explode if one of the guards takes a peek.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
These days I couldnt be bothered going through all the expensive legal process. So I often put my ideas right here on forums like this. for example when I determined the minimum size of the proto universe, assuming like everything else there is some angular momentum present. I also worked out the schwartzchild radius for our sun from first principles and was only slightly different from the Nobel prize winner's solution.

So since these pages are stored and dated why not use this as a bouncing board. Once your happy here move to a physics forum and come under greater scrutiny then finally publish. Remember without prediction observation and explanation it is not science, it is only philosophy.

Cheers

ATAT

Would that protect you?

I, too, put my ideas on a forum in the past, nut gum (gum with nuts in it), mayo-fish (tuna which was fed mayonase so you don't have to put mayo in your tuna), disposal toilets (putting a garbage disposal in your toilet so they won't get clogged),

but does doing this really provide legal protection?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I'm suspicious about someone who claims to have GUT or TOE even if they have those qualifications.:p

Schrodinger's equation really doesn't need to be solved: the GUT or TOE theory could disprove Schrodinger and support his opponents or further support Hawkings or even Eienstien.
Here's my take on the subject...........

Attachments

• Pearls_Before_Swine_Beer.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 67

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
When you win the nobel peace prize, can you please donate a tiny percentage to RF so we can get new emoticons?

But to answer your question, as someone already suggested: peer review and getting it notarized won't hurt.

Arav

Jain
Is this for real?

Sorry if I sounded rude here Just_me_Mike. I thought that title of the thread was "I figured out..." Not "If I figured..." I thought you were saying that you did find it. Sorry if I came off rude!

GabrielWithoutWings

Yes, but this would be a small price to pay for protecting the discovery of a grand unification theory which would revolutionize our understanding of the universe, and ultimately result in practical applications we couldn't even begin to fathom at this point.

Expound on the bold portion please. I like hearing all of the practical ways we can use scientific theory.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
Expound on the bold portion please. I like hearing all of the practical ways we can use scientific theory.

A theory unifying the fundamental forces of nature would undoubtedly have some very profound applications. At this point its impossible to say what exactly those applications could be. Right now we are like physicists studying electricity or magnetism in the early 1800's...if you could ask one of those guys what the practical applications of a theory unifying electricity and magnetism might be, I doubt they would predict things like the electric generator and the electric motor...two inventions which have greatly influenced our modern world. Some potential applications of a theory unifying gravity and the other three forces might be artificial gravity on spaceships, antimatter generators, time travel, nuclear fusion power plants, quick affordable space travel, maybe even devices like the replicators on star trek. It really all depends on the nature of the theory so its too early to tell.