• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If life evolves under the right conditions, “Where is everybody?”

Why not? Can't imagine that sentient life forms can evolve on other planets? Congradulations you are close to being a creationist because I can't imagine that either. :D

I imagine that evolution would work pretty much the same anywhere else in the universe as it has worked here. But evolution does not guarantee advanced civilizations. I agree with painted wolf sentient life would be a minority over any other kinds of life.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Why not? Can't imagine that sentient life forms can evolve on other planets? Congradulations you are close to being a creationist because I can't imagine that either. :D
Are you seriously that out of touch with your own non-sense?
I mean, are you not one of those who claims that creation had to happen because the odds are to great for life to develop with a creator?

Geez.
I would think you creationists would at the very least keep track of all the bull **** you shovel.

logician

Unicellular life has been and always will be the mainstay of evolution of earth.

Everything else is a sideshow, and none of it could really be predicted to happen in advance.

Check out S J Gould's great analysis on the statistics of evolution in his book

"Wonderful Life".

The Neo Nerd

I think that the theistic side of this argument suffers from the misconception that life has stopped evolving and that we as a species are perfect.

This is patently wrong.

logician

I think that the theistic side of this argument suffers from the misconception that life has stopped evolving and that we as a species are perfect.

This is patently wrong.

Evolution in some sense has probably increased in pace over the last 10,000 years because homo sapiens has driven to extintion many species, increasing the number of niches to be filled, and along with that changed the landscape (habitats) by deforesting, polluting, damming, etc. forcing the extinction or migration of species.

I think the "puntuated equlibria" scenario, when major geologic or "nature" changes occur, evolution speeds up rapidly as new species emerge to fill niches that have opened up. The only thing is, we have polluted and deforested the planet so badly that
it may be hard for new species to "develop" in this harsh type of environment.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
We are certainly a greater force of extinction than anything else. Species are going extinct at rates exponentially higher than in the previous several million years.
Significant specieation will only happen when the pressure eases up. IMHO

wa:do