• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If No One Believed In God...

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
More likely God is a product of human imagination. Like dryads.

The God we imagine is not God because God cannot be imagined. If we worship our idea of God then we are in reality worshipping our own imagination.

But the God taught by Jesus, Moses, Muhammad and Baha’u’llah is the real God.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That sounds more like solipsism.
Solipsism is the least pragmatic world view as it is not falsifiable.
It's not solipsism at all. Look up pragmatism and William James.
https://iep.utm.edu/pragmati/

" Pragmatism is a philosophical movement that includes those who claim that an ideology or proposition is true if it works satisfactorily, that the meaning of a proposition is to be found in the practical consequences of accepting it, and that unpractical ideas are to be rejected. "

" Moreover, theories and models are to be judged primarily by their fruits and consequences, not by their origins or their relations to antecedent data or facts. The basic idea is presented metaphorically by James and Dewey, for whom scientific theories are instruments or tools for coping with reality. As Dewey emphasized, the utility of a theory is a matter of its problem-solving power; To the extent that a theory functions or “works” practically in this way, it makes sense to keep using it—though we must always allow for the possibility that it will eventually have to be replaced by some theory that works even better."

Or as James says
"
Ideas … become true just in so far as they help us to get into satisfactory relation with other parts of our experience. (1907: 34)

Any idea upon which we can ride …; any idea that will carry us prosperously from any one part of our experience to any other part, linking things satisfactorily, working securely, saving labor; is true for just so much, true in so far forth, true instrumentally."

Pragmatism (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Last edited:

ppp

The God we imagine is not God because God cannot be imagined. If we worship our idea of God then we are in reality worshipping our own imagination.

I would say hat the God in your third sentence is the same as the 'God we imagine' in your first.

Also, the gods of those four people are entirely different gods.

lukethethird

unknown member

I can't imagine what is going through your head.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Heh :)
And yet, what I say is true.

An atheist is walking through the countryside when he is ambushed by a huge grizzly bear. "Oh God!" he screams "Help me!" The bear stops in its tracks and a voice from the heavens rings out "All your life you've said you don't believe in me, slandered my name and now you want my help?" "I realise that my request is rather bold," replies the atheist "but would it be possible for you to make this bear a Christian?" "Of course it is!" replies God. The bear closes its eyes and clasps its paws in prayer and says "Thank you Father for this meal I am about to receive..."

ppp

An atheist is walking through the countryside when he is ambushed by a huge grizzly bear. "Oh God!" he screams "Help me!" The bear stops in its tracks and a voice from the heavens rings out "All your life you've said you don't believe in me, slandered my name and now you want my help?" "I realise that my request is rather bold," replies the atheist "but would it be possible for you to make this bear a Christian?" "Of course it is!" replies God. The bear closes its eyes and clasps its paws in prayer and says "Thank you Father for this meal I am about to receive..."
Christians eat people?

ppp

No but bears do.
You know, its interesting; all those stories. I have been in several situations; both frightening and oppressive. Some where my life was on the line, and some where a friend's was. And it has never occurred to me to pray.

Fine. I'll tell one:
Q: How many atheists does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Two: One to change the bulb, and the other to video it so the religious won't say God did it.

Last edited by a moderator: