• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If the Big Bang Happened...

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Yes, you can hear it today in the form of gravitational waves.

And before you argue that this happened in the past when there was nobody around, remember that Quantistic collapse of the probability wave, by means of observers, can happen in the far past.

Ciao

- viole

technomage

Finding my own way
If the Big Bang happened and nobody was there to hear it, did it make a sound?

I am serious.
The big bang was not an "explosion" (in the sense of something detonating), but an expansion of space-time from a finite point to a large expanse. The closest analogy possible is blowing up a balloon, except instead of air pressure in a latex bubble, the entire universe expanded.

As such, it probably did not make a "noise" in any sense that we as human beings could hear.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Exactly, it didn't make a sound because there was no medium (air) to travel through. Nor did it give off light. Remember the tag line from the movie Alien... "In space no one can hear you scream". Cripes, that movie scared the peanuts out of my M&Ms. :eek:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, then how many pickled peppers did Peter Piper pick?

I am serious.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
if the big bang happened why isnt it happeing again?

I am serious.

It might be happening right now, somewhere else. Like on the other side of one of our black holes. :shrug:

Tumah

Veteran Member
The big bang was not an "explosion" (in the sense of something detonating), but an expansion of space-time from a finite point to a large expanse. The closest analogy possible is blowing up a balloon, except instead of air pressure in a latex bubble, the entire universe expanded.

As such, it probably did not make a "noise" in any sense that we as human beings could hear.

Its funny, because after seeing this, it seems obvious, but I naturally always pictured a big explosion.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Its funny, because after seeing this, it seems obvious, but I naturally always pictured a big explosion.

It was Fred Hoyle who coined the term. Some say it was mockingly, others say not. It's funny how the idea of a huge, loud, fiery explosion stuck, when it wasn't anything like that, just from those two words. :)

Tumah

Veteran Member
It was Fred Hoyle who coined the term. Some say it was mockingly, others say not. It's funny how the idea of a huge, loud, fiery explosion stuck, when it wasn't anything like that, just from those two words. :)

So you're saying the Big Crunch wasn't meant to draw a parallel to Ruffles potato chips???

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
We'll have to wait and see. :p But if there is a Big Crunch, there darn well better be some onion dip!

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think a few of them hold that view. I think Michio Kaku might be one of them... he's pretty progressive, more so than other theoretical physicists. And he's a big sci-fi fan.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
I think a few of them hold that view. I think Michio Kaku might be one of them... he's pretty progressive, more so than other theoretical physicists. And he's a big sci-fi fan.

That's because he's a theoretical physicist.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Mine makes a lot of noise. And Nature certainly doesn't abhor vacuums as much as I do.