• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If the Big Bang Happened...

Tumah

Veteran Member
The Big Bounce?

That would be more like:

But by the time we get there it will be too lateeeetal oot eb lliw ti ereht teg ew emit eht yb tuBBBBBut by the time we get there it will be too lateeeetal oot eb lliw ti ereht teg ew emit eht yb tuB

I was doing the Big Crunch. We got to max. entropy and the the arrow of time reversed in the middle of my sentence. You don't realize it now because your subjective perception of the flow of events seems logical to your now backwards facing mind. But we're actually hurtling towards the Crunch now. See you on the next Big Ba

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That would be more like:

But by the time we get there it will be too lateeeetal oot eb lliw ti ereht teg ew emit eht yb tuBBBBBut by the time we get there it will be too lateeeetal oot eb lliw ti ereht teg ew emit eht yb tuB

I was doing the Big Crunch. We got to max. entropy and the the arrow of time reversed in the middle of my sentence. You don't realize it now because your subjective perception of the flow of events seems logical to your now backwards facing mind. But we're actually hurtling towards the Crunch now. See you on the next Big Ba

I'm dizzy now. :eek:

:D

shawn001

If the Big Bang happened and nobody was there to hear it, did it make a sound?

I am serious.

In all seriousness.

"Listen to the first 760,000 years of the universe"

By pulling the latest data from the ESA's Planck Mission project, a physics professor from the University of Washington has created an auditory representation of the Big Bang.

Physicist John Cramer produced the audio by mapping sound frequencies to the changes detected over time in the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation. The project is similar to one he produced 10 years ago using NASA's Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP), but this one reflects the latest data.

Listen to the first 760,000 years of the universe

John Doe

I hate to contradict popular belief ( no I don't :p ), but in space someone CAN hear you scream. Just not very loudly.

A common misconception, but Space is not a perfect vacuum and can be used to transport sound, even from huge distances.

"It's often said that in space, you can't hear yourself scream. True enough, more or less, but rather misleading. Recently, several SPACE.com readers wrote to ask how a B-flat emanating from a black hole could be detected from 250 million light-years away, as we reported earlier this month.

The answer, along with related interesting facts, reveals that silence is in the ear of the beholder, and ears come in a variety of configurations.

Sound can travel through space, because space is not the total vacuum it's often made out to be. Atoms of gas give the universe a ubiquitous atmosphere of sorts, albeit a very thin one.

Sound, unlike light, travels by compressing a medium. On Earth, the atmosphere works well as a sound-carrying medium, as does water. The planet itself is very adept at transmitting an earthquake's seismic waves, a form of sound.

Space, though not as efficient, can also serve as a medium."

-Space.com (NASA)

And then there's this, which I suspect you will find delightful, Cynthia -

SAN DIEGO -- The early universe rang with the sound of countless cosmic bells, which filled the primordial darkness with ripples like the surface of a pond pounded by stones. The wave fronts later served as spawning grounds for galaxies, astronomers announced Tuesday.

The effect had been predicted by theory. Researchers found its imprint on the sky in two independent, comprehensive galaxy surveys presented here at a meeting of the American Astronomical Society.

The findings give scientists greater confidence that their limited understand of the universe's structure, contents and evolution are on track.

Sound waves in space may sound unlikely. Here's what astronomers back in the 1960s theorized:

The universe was initially a thick, hot soup that trapped light. About 350,000 years after the Big Bang -- the theoretical beginning of it all some 13.7 billion years ago -- things cleared and an imprint of the earlier conditions was left on the entire cosmos. Scientists previously detected this imprint as the Cosmic Microwave Background. It is everywhere in the sky and packs important clues about the structure of the nascent universe.

Something similar should have happened with sound, explained Daniel Eisenstein of the University of Arizona and leader of one of the studies, based on the Sloan Digital Sky Survey.

In the dark era, if you pushed on a pocket of hot gas, it would resist being compressed and bounce back.

"The whole thing sits there and rings like a bell," Eisenstein said. The thick hot soup would transmit sound waves in the same manner that air or water do. When the fog cleared, the sound waves would have remained as countless ripples of material.

Here's the neat part:

Think of a rock dropped into a pond, Eisenstein suggested. The ripples are areas where extra water is piled up. In the early cosmos, the sound ripples would have been areas where extra matter piled up, and more galaxies should have formed along these ripples than elsewhere.

"The twist is, [the extra matter represented by] the rock also helped formed galaxies," he said.

Hang on just a bit more. Since all this happened, the universe has expanded about 1,000 times. So the location of each "rock" and its associated ripple should be about 500 million light-years apart.

If this actually happened, then there ought to be more galaxies separated by that distance than by other distances. And that's exactly what the 2dF and Sloan sky surveys found -- barely.

"This last ring gets forever quieter and deeper in tone as the universe expands," said Idit Zehavi of the University of Arizona. "It is now so faint as to be detectable only by the most sensitive surveys."

The effect is subtle in another way, because the ringing cosmic bells (the rocks in our analogy) were ubiquitous. So instead of one rock tossed into the pond, "It's more like a handful of gravel," Eisenstein said. "You get overlapping ripples."

The combined discovery provides a yardstick for measuring other properties of the cosmos, said Richard Ellis, a Caltech professor involved in the 2dF study.

And the results confirm other methods that have found the universe is composed of just 4 percent regular matter (the atoms that make everything from people to clouds to stars), 25 percent dark matter (mysterious stuff that must be there but can't be seen), and the rest dark energy, an even more mysterious force that is driving the universe to expand at an ever-increasing pace.

Sounds of 'Alien Birds' in Space Recorded by NASA Spacecraft | Space.com

outhouse

Atheistically
This is something I've pondered myself. I'd love to know what a few scientists think about this idea.

Use your imagination.

Its not far off.

Think about it, a black hole is a singularity.

The explosion of a giant black hole could very well be the beginning of a new universe.

Matter once compressed so tightly, the matter could very well be erased.

outhouse

Atheistically
No.

Sound is relating to waves of compressed air or liquid. There was no air or gas or other medium that the big bang "banged" within.

Yet in the beginning when matter and anti matter were canceling each other out. The space would not have been typical space now would it :p It was not a empty vacuum at this stage.

I see no reason to take noise out of the equation.

philh

Use your imagination.

Its not far off.

Think about it, a black hole is a singularity.

The explosion of a giant black hole could very well be the beginning of a new universe.

Matter once compressed so tightly, the matter could very well be erased.

Blakc hole singularities are not identical to cosmological singularities. it has been suggested that balck holes do give rise to new universes. But one has to keep in mind that it is a specualtive hypothesis that I dont think we should dismiss but it is not automatically true becuase they both have singularities.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Yet in the beginning when matter and anti matter were canceling each other out. The space would not have been typical space now would it :p It was not a empty vacuum at this stage.

I see no reason to take noise out of the equation.

No. It was not empty vacuum either. The fabric of space was what expanded. It wasn't an explosion into a space. It was space expanding. That's not how sound works in any medium.

shawn001

In all seriousness.

"Listen to the first 760,000 years of the universe"

By pulling the latest data from the ESA's Planck Mission project, a physics professor from the University of Washington has created an auditory representation of the Big Bang.

Physicist John Cramer produced the audio by mapping sound frequencies to the changes detected over time in the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation. The project is similar to one he produced 10 years ago using NASA's Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP), but this one reflects the latest data.

Listen to the first 760,000 years of the universe

Anyone listen to this its pretty cool.

outhouse

Atheistically
Blakc hole singularities are not identical to cosmological singularities.

Can we say that with any certainty? We don't know.

it has been suggested that balck holes do give rise to new universes. But one has to keep in mind that it is a specualtive hypothesis that I dont think we should dismiss but it is not automatically true becuase they both have singularities.

Agreed.

I placed in the context of imagination at this point ;)

outhouse

Atheistically
No. It was not empty vacuum either.

Agreed.

That's why I think in some stages sound was possible.

The fabric of space was what expanded.

Correct.

It wasn't an explosion into a space.

Correct.

It was space expanding.

But here is where I find error.

It was not just space that was expanding, we had extreme temperatures, matter and anti matter canceling each other out. What you call space was more like soup then anything else.

That's not how sound works in any medium.

If empty space was created and nothing else you would be correct.

Even if we had todays matter of 5% you would be correct.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Anyone listen to this its pretty cool.
I did, nice, even with my defective hearing. Of course, I would not hear the higher frequencies. Our dog was not around. Perhaps he could have heard it. Perhaps this sound would have been there if there was any medium to transmit it. But how loud? Decibels? Would have we needed ear plugs? :)

Last edited: