• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If the Theory of Evolution is true what does it prove?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Good point, I was actually thinking of that when I wrote my post. I don't know which of the antique philosophers were atheists, but wasn't Plato an atheist? Don't quote me on that, I am speaking purely from ignorance.

Anyway, yea, I would also wonder what their idea of creation was? Do you believe they had some inkling of evolution but just didn't have proof for it, and thus never mentioned it? If they didn't have proof for evolution, and they didn't have proof for creationism, then evolution would be a belief just as much as creationism would.

Trippy stuff here. Haha

Some Buddhists groups were atheists. Many today will argue that Buddha was an atheist. But our conversation made me wonder as you have, what they must have believed. I've create a thread in the Buddhism DIR asking Buddhists about it. Will be interesting to see what they say :)

gnostic

The Lost One
biblestudent_07 said:
If the Theory of Evolution is true what does it prove? . .

It prove that different species have common ancestry, affected by CHANGES in genetic makeup (eg. mutation), breeding (sexual selection), environment (adaptation to tropical, arid, or arctic climate) and geographical location (eg geographical isolation). And more importantly, evidences support such changes have taken place.

The (theory of) evolution explain all this, and it is by far the best model to explain the diversity of species. Evolution, particularly evolutionary biology is science of nature, more specifically, nature of organic population. The bible on the other hand (and every other scriptures), is not science but that of theology.

Remember, evolution IS NOT about the origin of life, but explain the reasons why there are CHANGES IN SPECIES.

My questions to you, Biblestudent, are these:
Do you think changes doesn't happen?

If not, then how would you explain the diversity of species? Do know of any other theories that explain it better than ToE?

Do the Bible explain changes in genetics or anatomy from one species to another? If not, then why do creationists object to the theory so vehemently?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, I see your point. I don't know how to word this, but before TOE, God was the *ONLY* reasonable explanation for the diversity of life. With TOE, we are able to explain it naturally through biological means.

I worded my original response wrong, I guess. I bunched up the entire theistic belief with the "discovery" of evolution, whereas evolution doesn't completely disprove God, but it does completely disprove that he put all animals here individually. It allows for a disbelief in God, in a way. Does that make sense?
I think your wording in this response is problematic as well, Pete. It seems to buy into the creationist propaganda of Intelligent Design as an alternative explanation.
"God" was never an explanation for the diversity of life. All the creationists can claim is that he's the agent of diversity. His mechanism remains entirely the purview of the TOE.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Well, I see your point. I don't know how to word this, but before TOE, God was the *ONLY* reasonable explanation for the diversity of life. With TOE, we are able to explain it naturally through biological means.

I worded my original response wrong, I guess. I bunched up the entire theistic belief with the "discovery" of evolution, whereas evolution doesn't completely disprove God, but it does completely disprove that he put all animals here individually. It allows for a disbelief in God, in a way. Does that make sense?

Make sense to me....:yes:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Yes, it does make sense and I do also agree with you.
Interestingly though, there have been atheists around for thousands of years at least. I don't know what their idea about creation was, but they have always existed.

Yea...but in a world of believers...a non-believer would need to keep is mouth shut unless he fancies getting his head cut off....;)

Biblestudent_007

My questions to you, Biblestudent, are these:
Do you think changes doesn't happen?
Its possible that ToE and Natural Selection does happen. But its just a theory and not much more.

If not, then how would you explain the diversity of species? Do know of any other theories that explain it better than ToE?
Not at this moment, no. Considering the last scientist was an atheist who supported evolution.

If not, then why do creationists object to the theory so vehemently?
Because it contradicts what it says in the written word of God.

Last edited:

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
If the Theory of Evolution is true what does it prove? . .

It proves that all life on earth is related and came from a common ancestor that was very very simple. Everything about humanity evolved naturally. Evolution is continuing to happen. Isn't that amazing? The theory of evolution is in my opinion the greatest revolution in science.

Biblestudent_007

It proves that all life on earth is related and came from a common ancestor that was very very simple. Everything about humanity evolved naturally. Evolution is continuing to happen. Isn't that amazing? The theory of evolution is in my opinion the greatest revolution in science.

That makes sense, but it does not reflect the authority of the word of God.

Noaidi

slow walker
The biggest hurdle for evolution is the thought process that "aint no way we evolved frum munkeyz"...

That's not a hurdle for evolution - that's a hurdle creationists have to jump. If they fall flat on their faces, it's not a problem for ToE (although it may help to remove some from the gene pool! :D)

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
That makes sense, but it does not reflect the authority of the word of God.

So? The fact that electromagnetic theory does not reflect the authority of Zeus, a God in greek polytheism isn't a valid argument against the theory. The same goes for the Theory of evolution and how it does not reflect the authority of Yahweh the God in Hewbrew mythology.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Evolution and the concept of god are not mutually exclusive. The only thing evolution is in conflict with is literal interpretation of ancient creation myths. The former is substantiated by logic and evidence, the latter is not. So ToE wouldn't go against god, it would only go against the way some people choose to see god, and god wouldn't be bound by the ignorance of dead goat herders. Religious fundamentalism makes a cartoon character out of god.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Evolution and the concept of god are not mutually exclusive. The only thing evolution is in conflict with is literal interpretation of ancient creation myths. The former is substantiated by logic and evidence, the latter is not. So ToE wouldn't go against god, it would only go against the way some people choose to see god, and god wouldn't be bound by the ignorance of dead goat herders. Religious fundamentalism makes a cartoon character out of god.
I tend to disagree.
Most Christians have many a belief that have absolutely nothing to do with the Bible...

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

Not at this moment, no. Considering the last scientist was an atheist who supported evolution.

“the last scientist”? what does that mean?

The fact is that the theory of evolution is accepted by scientist of all religious persuasions, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu etc, not just atheists.