• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you believe in God AND evolution, why do you believe in God?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Before I attempt to answer, theistic means of God or something like that, so assuming that is bordering on what theistic evolution is, it means evolution somehow engineered by God. Right? But that is not the question although I don't mind exploring that thought.

YoursTrue

How can one not believe in a Creator? Atheism is the most irrational of worldviews.

As to your first question - what do you think 'theistic evolution' means?
Some say there is no evidence for God so they don't believe.

YoursTrue

True. Many of the people closest to me think that way. I pray for them daily. As a retired scientist, I am firmly convinced they are wrong.

But no hate; I love my neighbor and my enemies.

Glory to God for all things.
As a matter of fact, I think it's more than the 'no evidence' idea, now that you mention it that some have for backup as to why they don't believe in God. (or gods) I think it's the multitude of different religions and their gods and how people worship that is/can be confusing. Therefore, since it may be so confusing for some, they figure (like I did) that there is no God.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Yeah, I’m not really sure how believing that Jesus is going to return to judge the world and bring forth a new heaven and earth and raise all the dead ties in with evolution. Lol

YoursTrue

So far no brave people...lol...ok ..willing to express why they believe in God if they believe in evolution as well Sad but interesting. Mostly sad.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
So far no brave people...lol...ok ..willing to express why they believe in God if they believe in evolution as well Sad but interesting. Mostly sad.
Well, the forum isn't the most active and the thread has been up for only a couple of hours...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I think you're being a bit unfair here.

FWIW, I've found that - IMO - theists tend not to have good justifications for their belief in their gods. This seems to me to be true whether they accept evolution or not.

Consider the possibility that the lack of justification for belief in God by theistic evolutionists in this thread isn't because of something wrong with theistic evolution, but it's because something is wrong with theism, full stop.

I mean, consider whatever your own justifications are for belief in God. Would all of them be undermined if you accepted that evolution is real? If the answer is "no," then you already have an answer for how people can believe in God while accepting evolution.

YoursTrue

I think you're being a bit unfair here.

FWIW, I've found that - IMO - theists tend not to have good justifications for their belief in their gods. This seems to me to be true whether they accept evolution or not.

Consider the possibility that the lack of justification for belief in God by theistic evolutionists in this thread isn't because of something wrong with theistic evolution, but it's because something is wrong with theism, full stop.

I mean, consider whatever your own justifications are for belief in God. Would all of them be undermined if you accepted that evolution is real? If the answer is "no," then you already have an answer for how people can believe in God while accepting evolution.
Again, I see justification from those believing in evolution but nothing from those claiming belief in God if they also believe in evolution. In other words, they cite science for backup regarding the theory of evolution but zero justification or reasoning as to why they believe in God if they also claim belief in God. Oh well. Thanks for your answer.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Again, I see justification from those believing in evolution but nothing from those claiming belief in God if they also believe in evolution. In other words, they cite science for backup regarding the theory of evolution but zero justification or reasoning as to why they believe in God if they also claim belief in God. Oh well. Thanks for your answer.
Again: would all of your justifications for belief in God be undermined if you accepted that evolution is real?