• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you believe in God AND evolution, why do you believe in God?

Betho_br

Thank you but the question is really WHY do you believe in God,
After analyzing all "signs" and probabilities across a vast array of operations and enduring (non-miraculous) events, and subjecting them to all rational and scientific filters, the explanation pointed to a transcendental force which I denominate as God.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
After analyzing all "signs" and probabilities across a vast array of operations and enduring (non-miraculous) events, and subjecting them to all rational and scientific filters, the explanation pointed to a transcendental force which I denominate as God.
Thank you for your answer. I do have questions but maybe later...

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I don’t know why people think an All Intelligent Being akin to a Supreme Scientist could not have fashioned the universe using processes such as evolution seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don’t know why people think an All Intelligent Being akin to a Supreme Scientist could not have fashioned the universe using processes such as evolution seems perfectly reasonable to me.
How is it reasonable when by random chance, it could've been we never get seeds to farm things nor horses to ride or anything similar.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Be brave--and support your belief in God with reason, if possible, please. That is if you believe in evolution as well as in God.
God/Source for me is fundamental consciousness. From just my paranormal interests I can see that consciousness does not require a physical brain.

The question of evolution is really so 100 years ago.

YoursTrue

That depends on what your motivation for this thread is.

If you're trying to understand this point of view, then what I've suggested is relevant. If you're just looking to make people you disagree with squirm, then I agree it's not.
It's not a matter of making anyone squirm at all. But I would think that because many believe in the theory of evolution and God, I notice they insist on proclaiming that evolution is true, but zilch about why they believe in God IF they believe there is a God.

YoursTrue

How is it reasonable when by random chance, it could've been we never get seeds to farm things nor horses to ride or anything similar.
In agreement, while there are fossils of beings that are no longer in the same form (such as dinosaurs) there is zilch beyond theory to demonstrate the wherewithall (the distinct and slow process) by which dinosaurs, let's say, became little birds. Or -- better yet -- how fish evolved to become humans.

YoursTrue

God/Source for me is fundamental consciousness. From just my paranormal interests I can see that consciousness does not require a physical brain.

The question of evolution is really so 100 years ago.
Could you please elaborate what you mean by "consciousness does not require a physical brain."

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
In agreement, while there are fossils of beings that are no longer in the same form (such as dinosaurs) there is zilch beyond theory to demonstrate the wherewithall (the distinct and slow process) by which dinosaurs, let's say, became little birds. Or -- better yet -- how fish evolved to become humans.
The same way, basically, as Influenza H1N1 and the Covid 19 virus, both originated from SARS. And as you say, over a distinct, slow process.

For a simple fast-acting evolutionary change. The beds in the Jamestiwn, VA reconstructed fort of 1607 are significantly shorter than today's beds. Why? Just 400 years ago 5'7" was considered tall. Though we still have a large population of people in that height range, 6'5" is no longer a giant.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Evolution is a process which is quite deliberate nothing random about it. God directs everything the wind,, rain and evolution. Only I believe man was always man and there is no evidence he is descended from apes.

YoursTrue

Evolution is a process which is quite deliberate nothing random about it. God directs everything the wind,, rain and evolution. Only I believe man was always man and there is no evidence he is descended from apes.
If you ask an expert on evolution here, I have a feeling he or she will tell you that man according to the theory of evolution, did not descend from apes, but rather IS an ape and -- has an unknown common ancestor from which "apes" came...something like that. Maybe someone else can consider this though, perhaps go to a thread regarding evolution. Thank you for your response.

Whateverist

There is good reason to accept evolution as the best natural account of how life has become as diverse as it has. The evidence supports evolution. I won’t cite any because people will prefer their own but, any reputable source will supply plenty.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
God, of course, is not a physical being. But as for afterlife experiences or evidence, that is another subject, but thank you for your answer.
I was just arguing that this evidence suggests a physical brain is not needed for consciousness which is the materialist’s position.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It's not a matter of making anyone squirm at all. But I would think that because many believe in the theory of evolution and God, I notice they insist on proclaiming that evolution is true, but zilch about why they believe in God IF they believe there is a God.

How is this different from theists who don't accept evolution? IMO, sketchy or non-existent justifications for belief in God seem to be a near-universal thing.