• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you believe in God AND evolution, why do you believe in God?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I was just arguing that this evidence suggests a physical brain is not needed for consciousness which is the materialist’s position.
I'm going to agree with you there, since I do believe and am convinced there are unseen spirits that think but are not physical beings such as we are.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
How is this different from theists who don't accept evolution? IMO, sketchy or non-existent justifications for belief in God seem to be a near-universal thing.
It wonder if someone has put up a thread asking why a person believes in God.

Kfox

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Be brave--and support your belief in God with reason, if possible, please. That is if you believe in evolution as well as in God.
Why can't I believe in God AND evolution?

I do not have to believe that Adam and Eve were the first man and woman in order to believe in God.
Everyone who believes in God is not a Christian, and not even all Christians believe that Adam and Eve were the first man and woman.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Why can't I believe in God AND evolution?

I do not have to believe that Adam and Eve were the first man and woman in order to believe in God.
Everyone who believes in God is not a Christian, and not even all Christians believe that Adam and Eve were the first man and woman.
You can (and do) believe in things that other people do not. There is no law against that.
You can believe that the world was created by an evil spirit (the way it is). That will be more believable.
Why you believe so is another matter. It depends on the intelligence of the person.
Ignorant people believe in what scammers say.
Of course, who were the first man and woman lies in a very hazy area.
It was a very gradual transition from ancestors of chimps to humans over 7 million years.

220px-KNM_ER_1813_%28H._habilis%29.png
170px-Homo_habilis_-_forensic_facial_reconstruction.png
Homo habilis skull and reconstruction of the face.

cb9166d9cd0e52f49cb70d2bd6d5dafa.jpg
Click to enlarge

Last edited:

Coder

Even the Hebrew word Adam from adama (earth, ground) may have the more symbolic message that humankind developed from the materials of the earth. Adam and Eve and Santa Claus are grammar-school-level teachings. (I don't like to tell the story of Santa Claus because learn later that it's not true.)

Last edited:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
As a matter of fact, I think it's more than the 'no evidence' idea,

not really

I think it's the multitude of different religions and their gods and how people worship that is/can be confusing. Therefore, since it may be so confusing for some, they figure (like I did) that there is no God.
No.

By the same token, there are a LOT of claims about how to diet to lose weight. Many of them are just bs or even dangerous / not healthy at all.
Some are good ways and are actually supported by sound valid data / evidence.

The existence of the many bs diets (which is the vast majority btw), doesn't invalidate the few ways of dieting that are actually healthy and which actually work.

However is none of them could be shown to work or be healthy, then I could just say that I don't believe in any of them due to lack of evidence that they work.
And the fact that there are hundreds of claimed such diets or just 2, wouldn't matter.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
That is not my question.
It actually is.

As he said: if your justifications for believing in a god would not be undermined if you would accept evolution, then your reasons for believing in god seem perfectly in line what what you are actually asking in the OP.... being "how can you believe in god while believing in evolution?".

If your reasons for believing in a god aren't undermined by accepting evolution, then you have a potential answer to your question

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
It's not a matter of making anyone squirm at all. But I would think that because many believe in the theory of evolution and God, I notice they insist on proclaiming that evolution is true, but zilch about why they believe in God IF they believe there is a God.
Maybe, just maybe, that is the case because evolution is a matter of evidence while god is a matter of faith?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
In agreement, while there are fossils of beings that are no longer in the same form (such as dinosaurs) there is zilch beyond theory to demonstrate the wherewithall (the distinct and slow process) by which dinosaurs, let's say, became little birds. Or -- better yet -- how fish evolved to become humans.
That is, if you ignore the fossil record, geographic distribution of species, genetics, etc.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
If you ask an expert on evolution here, I have a feeling he or she will tell you that man according to the theory of evolution, did not descend from apes, but rather IS an ape

It is both.
Just like we descend from mammals and also are mammals.

and -- has an unknown common ancestor from which "apes" came...something like that. Maybe someone else can consider this though, perhaps go to a thread regarding evolution. Thank you for your response.
As explained a bazillion times already, one doesn't need to be able to identify a common ancestor to know that one existed.
Just like one can perfectly determine that 2 orphans share parents while it being completely unknown who those parents were or where they lived.
All we need is DNA from the offspring to determine they share ancestors.