• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you believe in God AND evolution, why do you believe in God?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That's not how this works.

You don't get to make a blatant claim and then say "prove me wrong".
Sure he does. It just reflects on his character.

If @Regiomontanus wants to leave readers of this thread with the impression that he's the sort of person who would randomly lash out at strangers with baseless, unprompted insults, that's up to him.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Perhaps God created evolution.
I'm not a scientist, but have examined the theory as much as possible. I don't go on expeditions and find fossil remains and then say, "Eureka! Here's something that shows -- (whatever)!" The theory of evolution (Darwinian style) does not, imo, lend itself to the idea that evolution by natural selection and/or survival of the fittest is how we all came about. But the question is if you believe in God AND evolution, what reasons might you have for believing in God? And so far, quite frankly, there have not been too many straightforward answers about that. So thanks.

YoursTrue

YoursTrue

You did. This one.
(chuckle) -- so far there have been few answers regarding WHY a person believes in God on this thread. The question is not why does a person believe in evolution, but rather--if a person believes in God AND the theory of evolution, WHY DOES HE BELIEVE IN GOD?

YoursTrue

Why can't I believe in God AND evolution?

I do not have to believe that Adam and Eve were the first man and woman in order to believe in God.
Everyone who believes in God is not a Christian, and not even all Christians believe that Adam and Eve were the first man and woman.
That is not the question. The question is, if you believe in God AND evolution, why do you believe in God? Do you understand the question? If you believe in God and evolution, why do you believe in God? It's not why do you believe in evolution, but rather if you believe in God and evolution, what reasons do you have for belief in God.

Tamino

so far there have been few answers regarding WHY a person believes in God on this thread. The question is not why does a person believe in evolution, but rather--if a person believes in God AND the theory of evolution, WHY DOES HE BELIEVE IN GOD?
I actually tried to provide you with an answer ... but you didn't react to my post. Why not? We're my reasons not good enough for you?

YoursTrue

I actually tried to provide you with an answer ... but you didn't react to my post. Why not? We're my reasons not good enough for you?
Sorry, I can't get to everything right away, I apologize. Thank you for letting me know. I'll look for it asap. By the way, Tamino is a character in a Mozart opera. As a person loving music, the name rings a bell with me. :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
(chuckle) -- so far there have been few answers regarding WHY a person believes in God on this thread.

Similar to every "why do you believe in God" thread I've seen here.

The question is not why does a person believe in evolution, but rather--if a person believes in God AND the theory of evolution, WHY DOES HE BELIEVE IN GOD?

Yes, I know. And if the answers to that question are poor, then it raises a new question:

Are the reasons given by people who accept evolution worse than the reasons other people give, or are the reasons people give for belief in God just sucky across the board?

Speaking as someone who has never seen any rational defense of belief in God (many, many attempts, but none that were successful), I know which answer my money's on.

I'm not a scientist, but have examined the theory [of Evolution] as much as possible.

I'm not a scientist either. However, I find your following comment facinating given your examination of the ToE.

The theory of evolution (Darwinian style) does not, imo, lend itself to the idea that evolution by natural selection and/or survival of the fittest is how we all came about.

I am curious as to why, when speaking of Evolution, you add the qualifier "Darwinian style"? Are you only considering the ToE as presented in Darwin's book On the Origin of Species, published in 1859? Do you ignore our current understanding of DNA and genetics? If so, why? Why would you freeze your evaluation of a scientific theory at it's inception instead of referencing and using our present day understanding of the ToE based on all the new information and refinement of the theory garnered over the subsequent 165 years of continued scientific research on the subject?

YoursTrue

Why do I " believe in" my Goddesses and Gods?
That is entirely based on my personal experience. I have experienced reality in a way that makes me assume the existence of multiple forms of divinity and spirit in this world.
I cannot prove this with scientific method, and I do not try it. It's just my personal reality, I don't claim that it needs to be everyone's reality nor can I claim to understand absolute truth any better than other humans.
Further, I choose to visualize and address this divinity in the guise of the Egyptian Pantheon and using Egyptian concepts. This is for personal and pragmatic reasons: this religious practice is effective for me and fits with my personal spiritual experiences. It helps me organize my life and my understanding of the world and gives me a plausible framework for all phenomena I observe in nature.

So yes, I assume that gods and goddesses exist, and I also think that evolution is a splendid, useful and exceptionally well-supported scientific theory.
OK, you answered, this is I believe your answer. You assume gods and goddesses exist. Thank you.

YoursTrue

Similar to every "why do you believe in God" thread I've seen here.
Without checking, that sounds about right.
Yes, I know. And if the answers to that question areor, then it raises a new question:

Are the reasons given by people who accept evolution worse than the reasons other people give, or are the reasons people give for belief in God just sucky across the board?

Speaking as someone who has never seen any rational defense of belief in God (many, many attempts, but none that were successful), I know which answer my money's on.
:--)
ok, thank you for your reply.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I believe in some form of evolution and I also believe in God. God has never been disproven to me, and I believe He has greatly enriched my life.

I left the fundamentalist Protestant church I grew up in largely because of its anti-evolution position, and the first time I heard that one can believe in both was from a Catholic priest I met at a bowling alley in in my late teens. However, I didn't convert to Catholicism until much later.

YoursTrue

I'm not a scientist either. However, I find your following comment facinating given your examination of the ToE.

I am curious as to why, when speaking of Evolution, you add the qualifier "Darwinian style"? Are you only considering the ToE as presented in Darwin's book On the Origin of Species, published in 1859? Do you ignore our current understanding of DNA and genetics? If so, why? Why would you freeze your evaluation of a scientific theory at it's inception instead of referencing and using our present day understanding of the ToE based on all the new information and refinement of the theory garnered over the subsequent 165 years of continued scientific research on the subject?
As I have read, not all scientists agree with Darwin's theory, but they may believe in evolution, just not as Darwin thought lifeforms may have come about.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Here's the problem as I see it that way, and I'll pretend I'm reading your words in a book you wrote but now I can ask you questions. Does the one who caused life and the universe--does that one have a personality? Feelings? (I'll leave it at that for now.) Thank you for your answer, much appreciated.

I don't know and I'm not going to force myself to believe in any one hypothesis. How could I possibly know for sure?

YoursTrue

No, I do not ignore current understanding of DNA and genetics. For instance, I find it reasonable to recognize that illnesses such as sickle-celled anemia can be inherited. And those who have been diagnosed with such should also be cautious about the possibility of passing it on.