• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you were from an alien species how would you approach contacting Earth?

RestlessSoul

I've posted this before, but it bears repeating.

Multi-generation spaceships. Spaceships capable only of sub-light speeds, but containing all necessities to support life through multiple generations. The aliens, or us if we do it, would essentially live on these ships and visit various solar systems as they came to them.

So by the time one of these vessels reached a distant world, they’d have lost all first hand knowledge of their own?

Such a nomadic people, emerging like a caravan from the deserts of space, would be staggered by the beauty of our planet. Imagine them witnessing their first sunset.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
So by the time one of these vessels reached a distant world, they’d have lost all first hand knowledge of their own?
First hand, yes, obviously. They would still have records of course. I suspect they would over the years develop their own identity as a space faring people. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that they might come to see their own nomadic lifestyle as being superior to life on a planet.
Such a nomadic people, emerging like a caravan from the deserts of space, would be staggered by the beauty of our planet. Imagine them witnessing their first sunset.
That's assuming ours to be the first planet they have visited. But yes, I'm sure an encounter with a planet would be quite an event.

Think also of the wealth of knowledge about the galaxy they would accumulate. If they did no more than share it with us, what a huge benefit that would be.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I'm doubtful about the possibility of faster-than-light travel. There may very well be life forms on other planets, but whether any of them are out patrolling and exploring the stars is a different matter entirely.

Of course, in Star Trek, they had the Prime Directive, which meant that if a planet was still divided and did not have warp capabilities, Star Fleet would have to leave them alone.

Without interstellar travel capabilities (and likely very primitive weapons), Earth would not likely be viewed as any kind of threat to any space-faring races.

Unless Earth is a source of some rare, valuable resource, such as unobtanium or Macguffinite, then I can't see why any alien race would want to waste time or effort on some primitive backwater planet like Earth.
Wait...there's Macguffinite here????

Alien826

No religious beliefs
It's an interesting concept. I can't even imagine what would go into the planning and construction of such a vessel. It would be quite a project to undertake, especially if you weren't really sure of where you were actually going.
They could hollow out a large asteroid. They would live on the inner surface and spin it to create gravity. It would provide much of the material need to build it and also provide cover if they didn't want to be seen (though the atypical movement of the asteroid would be a giveaway). Propulsion would be along the central axis, and might have a contrary spin imposed to stabilize the outside view.
I guess if one has powerful enough scanning technology, they could get a better idea of which planets can support life. But then, it doesn't necessarily mean it could support human life. I've heard the idea that, even if there was a planet with alien life, it doesn't mean we could actually live there. The atmosphere may be breathable to those who evolved there, but maybe not to us. Or there might be some virus or organism which is harmless to them, but fatal to us - or vice versa.

I would say that the best plan would be to start with the idea that the voyage would never end. Then there would be no disappointment if likely looking solar systems didn't pan out. Then concentrate on developing a culture within the "ship", which is why I want it to be BIG. A small population would probably fail to survive. The question of government is a good one, that I'll leave open for now. Once a stable population and culture has been established, what does it matter how long it takes to find a habitable planet, or if it never is found?

Alien826

No religious beliefs
We have almost all the technology necessary for such a ship, just not an engine. With the propulsion systems we have, it would still take thousands of generations to reach Proxima Centauri. We need something like a Bussard Ramjet to even contemplate interstellar travel.

See my previous response. It wouldn't matter how long it took, as the voyage itself could be the objective. A light sail could be enough to get it going, then coast along until it was time to decelerate at the other end. I can imagine a huge civilization of "space people" developing as new "ships" were constructed by the existing ones. And if livable planets were discovered, groups that wanted to could "drop off" and stay there.

What are your thoughts on government? I've had this idea for a while but haven't explored that aspect. I would start with a very authoritarian system as far as basic survival was concerned. Maybe hand it over to an AI computer. We can't have people damaging the ship, itself. After that, I don't know. Let's not export our current politics!

Heyo

Veteran Member
See my previous response. It wouldn't matter how long it took, as the voyage itself could be the objective.
That might have been an option of an alien race that comes here on a rogue asteroid. But for us, it is a waiting game. If we knew that we can't go any faster in the future than we can now, starting early would be useful. But if we can see faster propulsion down the pipe, it is worth waiting, because a later started, faster ship would catch up to, and overtake the slower one.
Meanwhile, we could test and improve on our ability to live in space and use the resources of the solar system.
A light sail could be enough to get it going, then coast along until it was time to decelerate at the other end. I can imagine a huge civilization of "space people" developing as new "ships" were constructed by the existing ones. And if livable planets were discovered, groups that wanted to could "drop off" and stay there.
Constructing new ships needs resources. We have them here, and they are most probably in every other system. But there is nothing on the way. That's why I don't think shooting for other stars is useful until we can get there in about three generations.
What are your thoughts on government? I've had this idea for a while but haven't explored that aspect. I would start with a very authoritarian system as far as basic survival was concerned. Maybe hand it over to an AI computer. We can't have people damaging the ship, itself. After that, I don't know. Let's not export our current politics!
Star Trek has a military/naval command structure. I always thought that to be unimaginative/anachronistic.
Maybe there will be different systems for handling navigation (which only really happens at the start and end) and for the community?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They could hollow out a large asteroid. They would live on the inner surface and spin it to create gravity. It would provide much of the material need to build it and also provide cover if they didn't want to be seen (though the atypical movement of the asteroid would be a giveaway). Propulsion would be along the central axis, and might have a contrary spin imposed to stabilize the outside view.

I would say that the best plan would be to start with the idea that the voyage would never end. Then there would be no disappointment if likely looking solar systems didn't pan out. Then concentrate on developing a culture within the "ship", which is why I want it to be BIG. A small population would probably fail to survive. The question of government is a good one, that I'll leave open for now. Once a stable population and culture has been established, what does it matter how long it takes to find a habitable planet, or if it never is found?

So, then, the ship itself would almost become like another world by itself. If something like this could ever be made to work, it would be quite an adventure, to go off into the unknown like that. Who knows what they would find?

A lot of space-oriented sci-fi and fantasy often come off as allegories to Earth societies and cultures, but with enough creativity and imagination as to make it quite fascinating and entertaining. But beyond that, it's hard to even fathom what they might actually find out there.

There could be some giant space monsters out there in deep space. Some ship could venture out, and six months down the line get gobbled up, and that would be the end of that.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
That might have been an option of an alien race that comes here on a rogue asteroid. But for us, it is a waiting game. If we knew that we can't go any faster in the future than we can now, starting early would be useful. But if we can see faster propulsion down the pipe, it is worth waiting, because a later started, faster ship would catch up to, and overtake the slower one.
Meanwhile, we could test and improve on our ability to live in space and use the resources of the solar system.
All fair enough, but maybe there's no time to wait, say if the home planet threatens to become uninhabitable in some way? Maybe a section of the population wants to get away, like the pilgrims? Perhaps we can sell the idea to <insert most disliked category here>.

And I agree that developing this solar system would probably be a first step.
Constructing new ships needs resources. We have them here, and they are most probably in every other system. But there is nothing on the way. That's why I don't think shooting for other stars is useful until we can get there in about three generations.
Yes, that would probably occur in a solar system. Or maybe they could "tow" an undeveloped asteroid to work on during the long interstellar journeys.

I wouldn't put a limitation of generations on it. To someone who is part of a generation that was born in the asteroid, it might not matter how long there was to go, they will never get there anyway. Maybe they would be perfectly happy to just be "space people".
Star Trek has a military/naval command structure. I always thought that to be unimaginative/anachronistic.
Maybe there will be different systems for handling navigation (which only really happens at the start and end) and for the community?

Not military, certainly. Too rigid. In any case, Star Trek people only spent a limited time in space, and we don't know (do we?) what the politics of the home planet were. I would think that the greatest challenges might be maintaining interest in life, as most of the things we worry over would be handled by the automation, and education to stop them dropping back into some non-technical state. I haven't mentioned population control, which would be essential.

Heyo

Veteran Member
All fair enough, but maybe there's no time to wait, say if the home planet threatens to become uninhabitable in some way? Maybe a section of the population wants to get away, like the pilgrims? Perhaps we can sell the idea to <insert most disliked category here>.
Telephone sanitizers, account executives, hairdressers, tired TV producers, insurance salesmen, personnel officers, security guards, public relations executives, and management consultants?
And I agree that developing this solar system would probably be a first step.

Yes, that would probably occur in a solar system. Or maybe they could "tow" an undeveloped asteroid to work on during the long interstellar journeys.

I wouldn't put a limitation of generations on it. To someone who is part of a generation that was born in the asteroid, it might not matter how long there was to go, they will never get there anyway. Maybe they would be perfectly happy to just be "space people".
Could be, but I think that having a purpose would be better for mental health.
Not military, certainly. Too rigid. In any case, Star Trek people only spent a limited time in space, and we don't know (do we?) what the politics of the home planet were.
I'd suspect something like an advanced form of democracy.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Telephone sanitizers, account executives, hairdressers, tired TV producers, insurance salesmen, personnel officers, security guards, public relations executives, and management consultants?
Exactly. Remember the end of the story? The Golgafrinchans were wiped out by a disease traced to an unsanitized telephone.
Could be, but I think that having a purpose would be better for mental health.
The purpose doesn't have to be arrival at some destination. An analogy might be people living on an island on Earth with no contact with other people. They have everything they need, and organize their leisure time as they wish. Come to think of it, it might be good to retain some "work" rather than have the AI do everything.
I'd suspect something like an advanced form of democracy.
OK. The AI could monitor the voting to avoid the nonsense we have had recently. You know, I'm wondering if the problems we are seeing here could be avoided by having nobody lacking anything important.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Yeah, well...that we're from some other planet an on our way to another...fake news...

Just listen to the lamestream media: we're on a mission to the stars! Work hard and be proud!

My opponent clearly is working for the hidden deep state that's trying to keep us all ignorant of our true and noble purpose...

We of course have to make sure we airlock all of THEM who are weakening the lifeblood our asteroid!

And so on...

Maybe there will be different systems K9 Security Guards Service Melbourne for handling navigation (which only really happens at the start and end) and for the community?
Great

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
With the recent thread about aliens and whether we are ready for contact with such, if you were an alien species what would you do to make sure any contact with us earthlings was friendly and not viewed as being hostile - and given that if you had the ability to travel to Earth you might likely have a lot more as to technology so as to do whatever you wanted?

Or, anything else, especially if you didn't have friendly intentions. :eek:
I think they'd do best to steer well clear