• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ilm

logician

So then it is jsut the Catholic Church?

Im guessing you don't have a position on hinduism, but do you?

Actually, I find parts of Hinduism to be appealing, except the "immortal soul" stuff.
I think it is a far more intellectually stimulating and less "harmful" religion than some of the more evangelical religions.

Actually, I find parts of Hinduism to be appealing, except the "immortal soul" stuff.
I think it is a far more intellectually stimulating and less "harmful" religion than some of the more evangelical religions.

Woohooo!!! You msut be the first person wo seems to have the first idea about Hinduism...

Evelyn

The Catholic church (and other faiths) even today are still at odds with science in some ways, opposing stem cell research, and opposing scientific ways to control the population explosion.

a) It only opposes embryonic stem cell for the similar reasons it opposes abortion
b) Population control is an ethical dilema, not a scientific one (I realize it has scientific implications but ultimately it deals with ethics).
c) It's silly to confuse the Catholic Churches stance of "right to life" with "have tons of kids".

Having said that, I have no interest in turning this thread into a debate against the Catholic Church. Just thought I'd clear that up. ;)

logician

a) It only opposes embryonic stem cell for the similar reasons it opposes abortion
b) Population control is an ethical dilema, not a scientific one (I realize it has scientific implications but ultimately it deals with ethics).
c) It's silly to confuse the Catholic Churches stance of "right to life" with "have tons of kids".

Having said that, I have no interest in turning this thread into a debate against the Catholic Church. Just thought I'd clear that up. ;)

I disagree somewhat with your statements, but also don't want to start another debate about the Catholic church.

Random

Why do people separate science and religion? They are the same.

@ a certain level, they are yes. But there are, I believe, two worlds; and when they collide, only the people who understand both can reconcile religion and science. As it is, those people are not the one's deciding the agendas of science...

yirme said:
Scientific knowledge just increases faith for those who really believe that God is One. unless of course someone follows a path that is different than that taught by the prophet(s) they claim to follow. then they will see differences.

I agree, but a wise voice in my head once told me that you see what you want to see, always. I imagine it begins and ends within the soul of the observer.

crystalonyx

"Scientific knowledge just increases faith for those who really believe that God is One"

For me, the opposite is true, it verifies that there is no god, as new discoveries are made.

Popeyesays

"Scientific knowledge just increases faith for those who really believe that God is One"

For me, the opposite is true, it verifies that there is no god, as new discoveries are made.

And who has chAllenged your right to do that?

Regards,
Scott

yirme

sannyasi
the prophets taught the path of God, they all taught the same path. this path does not contradict scientific fact. manmade innovations to this path taught by the prophets are what contradict science fact, and these innovations are also what make it seem like they taught different paths. science makes the lies of men clear. so in effect science fact only verifies religion as taught by the prophets. assuming one believes that God is infallible and taught through His prophets.
some of what we see in religious beliefs today are manmade innovations, not what the prophets taught, and this is why there seems to be a difference between "religion" and science. this false difference goes only as far as one strays from the path taught by the prophets.
quantum physics is absolutely amazing.
be sure not to confuse science fact with sciente fiction or science maybe.

peace

yirme

sannyasi

i have found that this is the case with many people and i have found it to be mostly because of a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of God. too many religions nowadays teach that God is a physical creature in some place called "heaven" in outer space. they look to the sky to talk to God. but God is wheresoever you look...

peace

Booko

Deviled Hen
Science and religion are opposites, which is why they have been at odds throughout history.

Hardly. Science and religion have not been at odds except in Western Europe beginning a few centuries ago.

But hey, don't let any facts get in the way of a good story. ;)

Science rejects a theory if evidence comes forth that disproves it. Religion by its nature never rejects its major premise, regardless of any scientific evidence that might counter it.

Clearly your knowledge of religion is very limited.

logician

Hardly. Science and religion have not been at odds except in Western Europe beginning a few centuries ago.

But hey, don't let any facts get in the way of a good story. ;)

Clearly your knowledge of religion is very limited.

Really, what makes you the expert? I expect I have been exposed to more religious faiths than you, and have had freinds of many different faiths including a Catholic priest. Please present evidence that science and religion have not been at odds most of the time, and for that matter currently are.