• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm a germophobe. Is anyone else?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
and tb has become resistant for use of antibiotics.
your next bad cough might kill you....slowly

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Oh, sorry. I misread the title of the thread. Never mind me.
What did you think it said? :p

Regarding the OP, I wash my hands at least 10 times a day and it really disturbs me if I'm cooking with someone and they don't want theirs. Unless it's a member of my family, I let it go. But, it drives me a bit crazy. It really does help to keep germs at bay. When my kids got home from school, the first thing I did was send them to the bathroom to wash their hands. Other than that, the only other thing I do is open a public restroom door with a paper towel on my way out after washing mine. I throw it in the trash after opening the door. Oh, also, I'm kind of a freak about cleaning shopping cart handles when grocery shopping. I usually use two or three of the wet wipes the store supplies. :D

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I got a boss at work who uses hand sanitizer at his desk...
works until he touches the doorknob leaving his office!!!!!!!

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
I kick doors to open them, push buttons with my finger joints, open switches with my elbow, carry a vinyl glove with me to use in public bathrooms, scrub my hands when I wash them, scrub my finger against whatever I think good enough to clean them when I do finger print attendance, NEVER drink or eat after anyone, run away from foods touched by others.... ............................
Others acts are harmless but keep hitting doors may eventually weaken foot, ankles and leg's bones.
You are making lives of germs very difficult......To make it even more difficult, useful link:
http://www.gphealthsmart.com/georgia-pacific-germ-hot-spots.html

allfoak

Alchemist
I'm not afraid of germs I just think it's gross to touch icky things. I'm constantly washing my hands trying to get the gunk of life off. We live in a messy world.

This is one of my many theories (because there are so many ways to describe it) of life.

It seems we spend our entire lives making messes and cleaning them up.
Not only that but we characterize one another by how messy or clean we are.
If it wasn't for things like baths, food and sex the messes would hardly be worth making.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cat_in_the_Hat_Comes_Back
il_570xN.769108048_52pq.jpg

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I have no fear or worry about germs. I never use hand sanitizer, and I criticize those that do for the excessive killing power of them (they wipe out beneficial bacteria, too) and for adding to the problem of bacteria that is becoming resistant to treatments. I don't take antibiotics unless I am very ill, as using them unless you need them, even without over prescription, is still contributing to treatment resistant bacteria. And I don't wash after using the restroom because if my hands are clean enough to be on such areas, where germies are well nurtured, then my hands are clean enough to not need washing afterwards (there are times I will wash before hand, however). For the most part, I don't worry about germs and let my body's immune system do its job.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I have no fear or worry about germs. I never use hand sanitizer, and I criticize those that do for the excessive killing power of them (they wipe out beneficial bacteria, too) and for adding to the problem of bacteria that is becoming resistant to treatments. I don't take antibiotics unless I am very ill, as using them unless you need them, even without over prescription, is still contributing to treatment resistant bacteria. And I don't wash after using the restroom because if my hands are clean enough to be on such areas, where germies are well nurtured, then my hands are clean enough to not need washing afterwards (there are times I will wash before hand, however). For the most part, I don't worry about germs and let my body's immune system do its job.
I too refrain going to the doctor.
but this past Halloween I took on a cough the might well kill an older man or little child.
I coughed sooooooo hard....
I separated two ribs at the breast bone.
Now there's a 'knuckle pop' when ever I do cough.

I suppose I'll get over the injury.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
the same article reports....we adults carry about 4.5lbs of microbes that are NOT us.

sorry I don't have the magazine.....
it was on the table as I was getting my truck serviced

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I got a boss at work who uses hand sanitizer at his desk...
works until he touches the doorknob leaving his office!!!!!!!
I've come to realize that most people are simply highly ignorant as to the whats and hows behind "germs." One thing I'll never forget is the Lysol handless dispenser commercial, because it made a deal out of touching a "dirty, dingy, filthy" hand pump - but what it didn't mention is that you're getting soap, to wash your hands, probably with anti-bacterial soap. It matters not because you're just seconds away from cleaning your hands. And if the pump looks that bad, then clean it. You're already cleaning your hands, so why not do them both at the same time?
And unless I've been to the gym or have done something that makes it necessary, I don't shower every day. I don't use anything scented or with a strong fragrance (they pretty much all bother my nose), so I pretty much smell like me, and no one complains that I smell bad or look unclean.

ZooGirl02

I am not a germaphobe but I definitely do believe in hygiene. I try to frequently wash and sanitize my hands, especially when I am sick or when sicknesses are going around. I don't want to spread any illness that I have and I also don't want to catch anyone else's illness so I use common sense.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I have come to the rational that if I get sick.....it's not the other guys fault.

at any given moment, as you stand in conversation with another....
there are dozens of germs between you that have the ability to kill.

it happens to children as their immune systems have not matured.
It happens to older people as their body functions are failing.

in between it's a lack of exposure and surviving the event.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I think... I think I'm more of a dirtophobe, not a germophobe, if that makes sense :expressionless:

I think it is not the germs I worry about, but more of the possibility of touching something that could have something dirty on it, like the door nob of a public bathroom thinking maybe someone got out of the toilet without washing their hands after rubbing some serious place, and opened the door. I know that soap normally cleans instead of sterilize.

Or is that the same as germophobe?

Jumi

There are different types of dirt. Some just seems like dirt to us that we're not used to but it could be different in some other culture, others are dirty in the sense that they are harmful to us or contain microbes that make us sick.

Culture was changing when I was young and I had a bee sting. My great grandmother was still alive and she would have wanted to apply soil from the field to the wound. To people of my parents and grandparents time, however, it was dirty.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Hmm, that's a good point.

My thinking about it is more complicated than that. I think soil is clean by nature, but I still fear that some soil from the looks of it could have got mixed with animal dropping or someone's spit or something so I have that phobia kicking in touching some soil.

I guess what make me worry is the state and place of stuff. I normally don't have problems with extra dry things with no weird smell. Oh, I believe smell is an important part that give a clue about the cleanliness state. Feces for example I see dirty.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I think... I think I'm more of a dirtophobe, not a germophobe, if that makes sense :expressionless:

I think it is not the germs I worry about, but more of the possibility of touching something that could have something dirty on it, like the door nob of a public bathroom thinking maybe someone got out of the toilet without washing their hands after rubbing some serious place, and opened the door. I know that soap normally cleans instead of sterilize.

Or is that the same as germophobe?
I work with metal....
over the years I have come to realize the gray film of metal that clings to my hands is FAR MORE dangerous than
a germ.

(granted, some items are dangerous....but not common)

aluminum will mess with your brain....
iron can only be called safe AFTER it comes up through the stem of a plant....
several alloys bugger your nerves...
and the damage tends to be permanent.

what worries me most about germs......is the resistance of a germ over coming our chemistry.
the more we try to poison the little bugs the more resistant they become.

did I mention a recent radio report of a lab (not named) that has been shut down?
the ongoing work was to mutant a bad item and see how bad it can get.
just in case (and so maybe we don't get caught) by SURPRISE!

but the work scared the gov.....what if the little critter got loose!

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Hmm, that's a good point.

My thinking about it is more complicated than that. I think soil is clean by nature, but I still fear that some soil from the looks of it could have got mixed with animal dropping or someone's spit or something so I have that phobia kicking in touching some soil.

I guess what make me worry is the state and place of stuff. I normally don't have problems with extra dry things with no weird smell. Oh, I believe smell is an important part that give a clue about the cleanliness state. Feces for example I see dirty.

did I mention.....samples of your pillow case and your toilet seat.....
are pretty much the same.

sorry to have to say so
extra sorry if I already did