• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm suing my former shrinks practice

jasonwill2

This is a DIR and I put it in here as I only wanted to talk about it with like-minded people, why are you outsiders invading our DIR?

apophenia

I am a like-minded person :D

And I have been into LHP for over 35 years. I don't make a show of it, I don't generally bother with words like satan etc, or use of archaic symbols. I'm not into the adidas vs nike arguments. I'm into the meaning, not the words.

My point that maybe your shrink was psychodramatising right back at ya was a real point. I was wondering if you have considered that. No doubt you filled him in on what you think psychodrama is all about.

jasonwill2

I am a like-minded person :D

And I have been into LHP for over 35 years. I don't make a show of it, I don't generally bother with words like satan etc, or use of archaic symbols. I'm not into the adidas vs nike arguments. I'm into the meaning, not the words.

My point that maybe your shrink was psychodramatising right back at ya was a real point. I was wondering if you have considered that. No doubt you filled him in on what you think psychodrama is all about.

He was a fundie and kept asking ignorant things and assuming it was anti-god even after many sessions talking about it and it was terrible i could barely ever talk about what i wanted to case of a little thing id say hed want to then get into debates all the time!

-.- tired

jasonwill2

Sounds like he is not a useful therapist for you.

He was not, the day he tried to convert me and pulled out the bible i wanted to talk about sexuality and the only thing he said was that he thought it was nurture and not nature, and then he went back to religion AGAIN, after I wanted to talk about some slight confusion over my sexuality (I found out later I was straight just androgynous).

apophenia

He was not, the day he tried to convert me and pulled out the bible i wanted to talk about sexuality and the only thing he said was that he thought it was nurture and not nature, and then he went back to religion AGAIN, after I wanted to talk about some slight confusion over my sexuality (I found out later I was straight just androgynous).

The whole business of psychotherapy is pretty wobbly. That is actually the word used by a psychiatrist I knew to describe his profession.

There seems to be a very limited set of possible responses from the various kinds of therapists. I do recall you mentioning this guy before, and it doesn't sound like a good relationship from your point of view. There's a lot I don't know of course, so presumably there are reasons why you see this particular guy. I'm guessing you don't have many choices where you live.

edit ; hang on, I just realised you said 'former shrink'. So you ditched him a while back ?

Last edited:

apophenia

We all know adidas is better, its been on my uniform, shin and instep guards, and forearm guards for over fifteen years now :D

I should have seen that coming.:rolleyes:

I did hear it mentioned that the adidas 3 stripes logo has its origins in the functionality of the original shoe design, whereas the nike logo is just a meaningless squiggle, so that's a consideration.

Informare

Setian I°
I would recommend lodging a formal complaint with the ABPP or APA (the two most common professional groups for psychologists, just find out which one he is a member of). While a suit might work, it will take a lot of time, money, and effort on your part. Professional organizations are very serious about the behavior of their members, so you can effectively let them fight the guy for you, and the pressure from his peers in his field would be much more motivating for the guy than some random judge.

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
Maybe your time and money would be better spent simply finding a better shrink. And whoever he or she is be upfront at the start about why you left your last one.
There are good ones and bad ones, I hope you are luckier next time; your well-being is important.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
He pulled a bible out on me about a year ago and tried to convert me (not overtly but very heavily implied), and all our sessions up being debates until I stopped going in May.
That is one of the main reasons I have lost all interest in the field of psychology. Even when it's known that stuff is rubbish (most of Freud's theories), or even if it's known that certain things will not work for all patients (religion), and even perspectives that are limited and narrow in scope, theories that have been determined to be potentially dangerous, but they are still taught, utilized, and have people that actually use them. Some insist attracting and keeping a mate and having kids is the goal for self-actualization, some think that every aspect of your adult life can be traced back to your child-hood, some will see you as a failure as a person if you don't live an active social life, many many MANY times religion is propagated as the ideal way to form strong community bonds and morals, and rather than continue listing my complaints and grievances with the field I'll just say the more I learn about it the less I like it.
And should you go to court, you will most likely loose. There are a myriad of religious based practices, and a judge will likely not judge in your favor just because you disagreed with the therapists methodologies and will tell you that you should just find another therapist if you do not like religious-based counseling. After all it is fully within your patient rights to fire your doctor (in this case therapist), and find another one that you think is competent.

apophenia

I've known two psyches (one 'iatrist' and one 'ologist') who were recruiting spiritual followers from their clientele. They were more or less regional managers representing hindu-ish 'godmen' from the US. Both were recreational drug users themselves (don't even ask how I know that), yet claimed that their swamis showed a path to a 'higher bliss' etc.

One of them was so naive it was disturbing. He once told me how he had tried chanting the 108 names of god and "nothing happened". He actually expected that by chanting the 108 names he would instantly experience at least a powerful mystical state if not liberation. The fact that this did not happen left him disappointed and cynical about spiritual endeavours, but did not dampen his entrepreneurial attitude.

The problem with that whole profession is that everything happens behind the psyche's closed door, only they report what transpired in their notes, and that they hold a lot of power of various kinds. They are not observed or monitored in any way. They are treated as though they are holders of valuable wisdom and insight, by default. Any 'success' they have is attributed to them, and any 'failure' is the client's. This combination is clearly fraught with dangerous possibilities.

Last edited: