• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I'm writing a memoir about my life after I was diagnosed with mental illness. It's called History of Mental Illness, and documents parts of my life since I've been an adult. There's a lot of true information in this book, about myself, and about other people too. The book is split into two parts: the main section called How I Relate to Others, and a section which I do the reverse, called How Others Relate to Me. The main section right now is about 30 pages long in Microsoft Word. The other section has nine chapters so far, all about other people and how they relate to me. There's going to be a considerable amount of overlap between the two sections.

Between the 30 pages of the first part and the nine chapters I have so far, given I probably have about four pages per chapter, is another 36 pages, so altogether I have 66 pages of one book, which is more than enough in length to become a small book. However, I do have some concerns about this and would like feedback regarding this. I'm wondering how much personal information I am allowed to share. Can I keep the original, unaltered names that I have in the book or do I need to change them? I also have pictures of the people in Microsoft Word and was wondering if I'm legally able to keep those pictures in the book. These pictures are mostly pictures you'd find when searching for these individuals on Facebook and other social media websites.

It seems every day I'm listening to one of the chapters I have written on the second part, but not to alter it, although I sometimes do, but to reminisce in memories I have of these people. I have not updated the main document in awhile, and if I did, it would most likely be another four to six pages long. I am not looking to profit much from these and I'm actually thinking about self-publishing on a blog or website over using actual print to make physical copies of this book. I was thinking about using Wattpad and publishing this on their non-fiction section of their website.

I can get rid of the images I have but I do want to keep the names the same, in order to cause less confusion when I read these documents myself. If anyone has some tips as to the best way to publish novels for free so they will forever be out there, I would be grateful for your advice. I'm thinking Wattpad would be the best way to do this, because I'm not looking to get paid anything for this but I don't think it costs anything to publish on Wattpad either. I just have a voice on my mental illness and I want that voice to be heard.

If I publish it within a few years obviously there will be updates and additional editions to this book. My story is not finished yet. I actually find non-fiction easier to write than fiction, as I'm good at recalling memories rather than making stuff up. If anyone is interested and wants to read some rough, but mostly completed, drafts of my work, you can always message me directly and I'll send you my work through e-mail.

I find that writing these stories has become therapeutic for me. It relieves stress and re-listening to said stories helps me reflect and reminisce in ways I cannot do just by talking to myself. My hope is by sharing these detailed accounts of my life other people can listen and reflect on these words I'm writing.

If anyone has tips, tricks or advice for me going forward I'd like to hear it. :cool:

Orbit

I'm a planet
My advice is to change the names and any identifying information, and don't use the photos of people. That is if you want to actually have a publisher put the book out.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Good luck with the book.

If you can't find a publisher you can self publish. There is plenty of advice on the web on how to proceed.

I'd recommend having a professional proof reader read through it. Take note of their comments and make alterations if you feel they are needed. If that's to spendy get friends and family to critique it.

Although you can truthfully identify people i would suggest not doing it unless you have their permission. You could leave yourself open to a world of litigation.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I agree with the advice already given.

I would suggest protecting your privacy on the internet by changing names. If you name other people you might have to get permission from them first. Look up liability for that sort of thing. Others have a right to privacy unless they are public figures. Changing names is a good idea. And do include your coyright and the date in anything you publish, even for free. You can look up how to do this and protect your work and privacy.