• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Immortality May Be Possible in about 13 years?

apophenia

Great. An eternity of software updates, viruses and worms, obsolete drivers and users who want to crash in your storage space for a few days ...

Plus you will probably be incorporated into a cheesy game against your will.

In other words, more of the same. :D

As for ...

— By 2035, the ability to move the mind into a computer, eliminating the need for the robot bodies to carry around wet, messy brains.
— By 2045, technology nirvana in the form of artificial brains controlling insubstantial, hologram bodies.

... anyone who has been following the claims and timetables of the Artificial Intelligentsia for the last 40 years knows that we are dealing with hyperbole about vaporware. There is no reason at all to believe that this scenario is any more possible than hiding Jupiter in your ***.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I would not want a robotic body let alone a holographic one, how would i feel anything and even if such things could be replicated how do we know that the process itself wouldn't actually kill me, leaving behind only a very close duplicate that is not actually me. I think if we are to acheive immortality it should be through the preservation of our physical bodies, not replacing them with machines or insubstantial energy.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Death of body=Death of "self"

I don't see the appeal in becoming a glorified smartphone.

Haha, I can imagine it now:

"Electronic revival of the consciousness?

... *slight pause*

Well. We've got an ap for that."

-cloud starts cheering-

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I wouldn't even dream of pursuing immortality before establishing solid solutions to the current social problems and establishing a non-growing population.

Worldwide.

The Sum of Awe

I would do it right now if the technology existed.

Why is that? I can see why someone would want to do it near the time of death, but it'd be a lot less exciting to not be able to feel without encoding and seeing without a camera etc not being able to take a bath

freethinker44

Why is that? I can see why someone would want to do it near the time of death, but it'd be a lot less exciting to not be able to feel without encoding and seeing without a camera etc not being able to take a bath

Machines can be given more senses than our bodies have now and much improved over our current senses. The eye is a camera. Imagine if you had a camera that could perceive the whole spectrum instead of a small band and if you could see every possible color instead of just three, and was never out of focus. If I was a machine I wouldn't need a bath.

The Sum of Awe

Machines can be given more senses than our bodies have now and much improved over our current senses. The eye is a camera. Imagine if you had a camera that could perceive the whole spectrum instead of a small band and if you could see every possible color instead of just three, and was never out of focus. If I was a machine I wouldn't need a bath.

True, I don't know, I'd just miss my "original" body I guess.

The Sum of Awe

But then again, if it means that I could upgrade myself into a Transformer or Dr. Doom with a lot of money, I am DOWN FOR DAT!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
... anyone who has been following the claims and timetables of the Artificial Intelligentsia for the last 40 years knows that we are dealing with hyperbole about vaporware. There is no reason at all to believe that this scenario is any more possible than hiding Jupiter in your ***.
Agreed. It sounds nice, but it is just not going to happen. Frankly, I don't understand why anyone would want to live forever, especially in a fake reality. Wahoo, eh? :facepalm:

freethinker44

But then again, if it means that I could upgrade myself into a Transformer or Dr. Doom with a lot of money, I am DOWN FOR DAT!

Forget transformers or Dr. Doom, you upload yourself on the internet and the entire world can be your body.

Or upload to some kind of space ship and explore the galaxy for eternity.

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Agreed. It sounds nice, but it is just not going to happen. Frankly, I don't understand why anyone would want to live forever, especially in a fake reality. Wahoo, eh? :facepalm:

Because it's not literally forever, and it's not exactly fake :D