• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Immortality May Be Possible in about 13 years?

Me Myself

Back to my username
I would not want a robotic body let alone a holographic one, how would i feel anything and even if such things could be replicated how do we know that the process itself wouldn't actually kill me, leaving behind only a very close duplicate that is not actually me. I think if we are to acheive immortality it should be through the preservation of our physical bodies, not replacing them with machines or insubstantial energy.

This.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Uh... what about maintenance? Last I looked, machines were VERY sensitive, far moreso than flesh and blood, and susceptible to water, dust, etc. damage, far less so than our current bodies.

After all, anybody else notice that a computer's lifetime is not a whole lot more than five or so years?

Furthermore, you can say goodbye to privacy for ever, since you'll be connected to anyone else, and being hacked and having your mind read will be far easier.

As cool as it sounds from a sci-fi perspective, from a practical perspective, it just sounds far more annoying than you'd think.

apophenia

Uh... what about maintenance? Last I looked, machines were VERY sensitive, far moreso than flesh and blood, and susceptible to water, dust, etc. damage, far less so than our current bodies.

After all, anybody else notice that a computer's lifetime is not a whole lot more than five or so years?

Furthermore, you can say goodbye to privacy for ever, since you'll be connected to anyone else, and being hacked and having your mind read will be far easier.

As cool as it sounds from a sci-fi perspective, from a practical perspective, it just sounds far more annoying than you'd think.

You're ruining the fantasy.

It's a mix of reincarnation, platonic perfection, hi-tech fetishism, and sci-fi escapism, and it's just around the corner !

And the alternative is the old folk's home and death. :eek:

apophenia

Actually, that very situation was presented in the first book (Neuromancer, published 1984) of William Gibson's cyberspace trilogy.

Gibson coined the term "cyberspace" in his short story "Burning Chrome" (1982) and later popularized the concept in his debut novel, Neuromancer (1984). In envisaging cyberspace, Gibson created an iconography for the information age before the ubiquity of the Internet in the 1990s.[19] He is also credited with predicting the rise of reality television and with establishing the conceptual foundations for the rapid growth of virtual environments such as video games and the World Wide Web.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Gibson
Much more interesting than Matrix IMO. Way ahead of the pack. Still.

apophenia

It's not literally forever, just longer.

And not literally living, just a simulation which may appear convincing to an observer.

I used to talk to my teddy bear when I was a child. Humans project identities onto almost anything. Add a fear of death, and presto !, electronic immortality looks like a real option.

But after 40 years and not much from the AI camp except grandiose predictions based on woefully inaccurate analogies, it looks to me like someone is trying to sell us Brooklyn Bridge. They believe they own it too :areyoucra