• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Impeachment hearing heat up

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Well this is interesting...

Support for impeaching Trump hits new high

"But nearly one-in-four, 24 percent, said there’s “almost nothing Trump could do that would cause me to support impeaching him and removing him from office.”"

Nixon's approval rating was ~25% when he left office, so it appears about a quarter of the country will support a Republican president no matter what they do. I'm also pretty sure a few such folks are members of RF.

Last edited:

tytlyf

Not Religious
Well this is interesting...

Support for impeaching Trump hits new high

"But nearly one-in-four, 24 percent, said there’s “almost nothing Trump could do that would cause me to support impeaching him and removing him from office.”"

Nixon's approval rating was ~25% when he left office, so it appears about a quarter of the country will support a Republican president no matter what they do. I'm also pretty sure a few such folks a members of RF.
That's the power of propaganda. Those people are ignorant to information thanks to RW media hiding it from them.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
That's the power of propaganda. Those people are ignorant to information thanks to RW media hiding it from them.
I'm not even sure it's propaganda; some folks are just loyal to an absurd degree. Probably a combination of both though....or something.

Either way, it's weird. o_O

tytlyf

Not Religious
I'm not even sure it's propaganda; some folks are just loyal to an absurd degree. Probably a combination of both though....or something.

Either way, it's weird. o_O
I've researched this enough and their media choices are the problem. Trump supporters will typically all agree with Fox and RW media. They're insulated in the echo chamber. Propaganda is used to trigger emotional reactions.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It is interesting to see how some of the networks are covering this when the President or now Pence makes a live statement. When Trump was egregiously lying MSNBC actually broke in and corrected him live. CNN is now running corrections to the side of Trump or Pence when they make live statements. It is pretty bad when the networks know ahead of time what lies that are apt to be used and can be so ready to counter them.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I've researched this enough and their media choices are the problem. Trump supporters will typically all agree with Fox and RW media. They're insulated in the echo chamber. Propaganda is used to trigger emotional reactions.
My daughter and I were talking last night and wondering if Nixon had had Fox News, Hannity, Limbaugh, et al., would he have resigned? I don't think so.

Interestingly, what triggered our discussion was her noting that when something big happens in the news, I watch and listen to conservative media, liberal media, and centrist media. She's a bit more liberal than I am, so she was like "How can you watch Fox News? It drives me crazy!" All I could tell her was that I've always been the kind of person who wants and needs to know what everyone is saying. It's probably some sort of reassurance mechanism, where I need to be able to assure myself that I've considered all sides.

tytlyf

Not Religious
It is interesting to see how some of the networks are covering this when the President or now Pence makes a live statement. When Trump was egregiously lying MSNBC actually broke in and corrected him live. CNN is now running corrections to the side of Trump or Pence when they make live statements. It is pretty bad when the networks know ahead of time what lies that are apt to be used and can be so ready to counter them.
That's because the POTUS is a heavy Fox/Rush fan. Very dangerous.
Yesterday, Trump lashed out at a press conference and actually mentioned Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh. I couldn't believe it.
It just shows how powerful emotional trickery is and the kind of people who are vulnerable to it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
My daughter and I were talking last night and wondering if Nixon had had Fox News, Hannity, Limbaugh, et al., would he have resigned? I don't think so.

Interestingly, what triggered our discussion was her noting that when something big happens in the news, I watch and listen to conservative media, liberal media, and centrist media. She's a bit more liberal than I am, so she was like "How can you watch Fox News? It drives me crazy!" All I could tell her was that I've always been the kind of person who wants and needs to know what everyone is saying. It's probably some sort of reassurance mechanism, where I need to be able to assure myself that I've considered all sides.
Good point. I should try to watch me some FOX.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Probably not. Rush is the kingpin in the conspiracy theory department. When he's on the radio from noon-3, he's essentially giving his opinion on what's going on at the time in politics.
People call in very angry and paranoid while waiting for Rush to give them their answers. Rush's talking points are later picked up on by Fox and other RW hacks and repeated.
Point is, without Rush these RW hacks would have to rely on their own creativeness to grift the public.

Well, we think alike. I have no problem watching Fox, I watch Fox 90% of the time. Hours daily. I'll catch Rush in the car.
Next is CNN and last is MSNBC.
It's important to listen to ALL information sources to make an informed decision. The problem with Trump supporters is they don't watch anything but Fox. They get their information on social media and RW websites. They do not hear different perspectives or information.

Rush would call Trump supporters "Low-information voters." But he calls liberals that. All day, every day Rush and Fox cherry pick stories that put democrats in a bad light. Never showing republicans in a bad light. No wonder the audience thinks republicans are saints compared to democrats. They are ignorant to information in the world.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That's because the POTUS is a heavy Fox/Rush fan. Very dangerous.
Yesterday, Trump lashed out at a press conference and actually mentioned Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh. I couldn't believe it.
It just shows how powerful emotional trickery is and the kind of people who are vulnerable to it.
I know, the whole "Rush is right" crowd. I think of all of the talking heads you will not find another as cringe worthy as Rush.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I know, the whole "Rush is right" crowd. I think of all of the talking heads you will not find another as cringe worthy as Rush.
He's the kingpin. The authority. Most RW outlets and talkingheads will then repeat what Rush said and pass it off as it were their own.
Rush is very intelligent, he just uses that ability for all the wrong reasons. A good propagandist has to be able to think on their feet and come up with consistent (believable) excuses on a regular basis.
Rush is also an insider in the republican establishment.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Here's another point. Senate and House had Republican majority for two years under Thump. He didn't do anything then to investigate Biden. It's obvious he's doing it now because of the election.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Probably not. Rush is the kingpin in the conspiracy theory department. When he's on the radio from noon-3, he's essentially giving his opinion on what's going on at the time in politics.
People call in very angry and paranoid while waiting for Rush to give them their answers. Rush's talking points are later picked up on by Fox and other RW hacks and repeated.
Point is, without Rush these RW hacks would have to rely on their own creativeness to grift the public.
But I've also noticed that as he gets older, Rush's shows increasingly consist of name-calling and rants rather than thoughtful analysis and talk. He wasn't always this bad.

Well, we think alike.
Uh oh. ;)

I have no problem watching Fox, I watch Fox 90% of the time. Hours daily. I'll catch Rush in the car.
Next is CNN and last is MSNBC.
It's important to listen to ALL information sources to make an informed decision.
Agreed. I figure there's no harm in it as long as you're fully aware of what you're watching and listening to. When I watch Fox, I know I'm watching biased conservative media. When I watch MSNBC, I know I'm watching biased liberal media. When I watch CNN, I know.....well, IMO CNN is largely deliberately staged political theater.

The problem with Trump supporters is they don't watch anything but Fox. They get their information on social media and RW websites. They do not hear different perspectives or information.
That's generally true across conservatism. Studies have shown that conservatives tend to be much less open to new information and experiences than liberals.

Rush would call Trump supporters "Low-information voters." But he calls liberals that. All day, every day Rush and Fox cherry pick stories that put democrats in a bad light. Never showing republicans in a bad light. No wonder the audience thinks republicans are saints compared to democrats. They are ignorant to information in the world.
The study that has always stood out to me is the one showing how regular viewers of Fox News were more misinformed than people who watched no news at all. The key part there is that they are misinformed.....not uninformed. IOW, they are fed misinformation and they believe it without question. I suppose there's a reason why Rush listeners refer to themselves as "dittoheads".

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
But I've also noticed that as he gets older, Rush's shows increasingly consist of name-calling and rants rather than thoughtful analysis and talk. He wasn't always this bad.

Uh oh. ;)

Agreed. I figure there's no harm in it as long as you're fully aware of what you're watching and listening to. When I watch Fox, I know I'm watching biased conservative media. When I watch MSNBC, I know I'm watching biased liberal media. When I watch CNN, I know.....well, IMO CNN is largely deliberately staged political theater.

That's generally true across conservatism. Studies have shown that conservatives tend to be much less open to new information and experiences than liberals.

The study that has always stood out to me is the one showing how regular viewers of Fox News were more misinformed than people who watched no news at all. The key part there is that they are misinformed.....not uninformed. IOW, they are fed misinformation and they believe it without question. I suppose there's a reason why Rush listeners refer to themselves as "dittoheads".
I have noticed that too. I used to listen to him at times, but as he began to go over the deep end I lost interest.

Bear Wild

Right, like this is just his way of doing business. It seems like a pattern of behavior to me.
Now we're hearing about calls to the Prime Ministers of the UK and Australia as well ...
What is more frightening is not is request to China. After all the rhetoric about how bad the Chinese were he is now asking them to investigate his opposition. To have a foreign government investigate American political figures is exactly what those who formed the US government in the first place would have seen as unthinkable interference. It is not surprising that Trump who is intolerant of anyone who objects to him would find a connection with North Korea, Russia. He even makes inferences how well the North Korean government would have dealt with a whistleblower.

He clearly identifies with dictatorships and understands how to use fear and hate as a tool for his power. What is even more terrifying is that the Republican party is defending him supporting his dictatorship like methods. Just as strange are some of the people I know who are intelligent who defend his clearly inappropriate behavior. When he says there will be civil war if impeachment continues he is tapping into peoples fear and emotions to override their rational understanding which allows them to accept clearly inappropriate statements. I wonder where we have seen this before?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
What is more frightening is not is request to China. After all the rhetoric about how bad the Chinese were he is now asking them to investigate his opposition. To have a foreign government investigate American political figures is exactly what those who formed the US government in the first place would have seen as unthinkable interference. It is not surprising that Trump who is intolerant of anyone who objects to him would find a connection with North Korea, Russia. He even makes inferences how well the North Korean government would have dealt with a whistleblower.

He clearly identifies with dictatorships and understands how to use fear and hate as a tool for his power. What is even more terrifying is that the Republican party is defending him supporting his dictatorship like methods. Just as strange are some of the people I know who are intelligent who defend his clearly inappropriate behavior. When he says there will be civil war if impeachment continues he is tapping into peoples fear and emotions to override their rational understanding which allows them to accept clearly inappropriate statements. I wonder where we have seen this before?
^^^^ This. ^^^^