• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Importance and value of personal efforts for spiritual growth after recognizing and accepting Jesus as Lord

Niatero

*banned*
NOTE: I think to avoid misunderstandings I should say that I'm not a Christian and I don't believe in any Christian doctrine about salvation or about the Trinity. Even so, I do recognize and accept Jesus as my Lord, and that's the context for what I'm saying here. It looks to me like sometimes people think that spiritual growth doesn't require any conscious effort to learn to live the way that Jesus says to live, that He will do it all for us. I would agree that He doesn't need our help, but I don't think that's a reason not to make any conscious efforts ourselves. I think that it's much better for us if we do. In fact, it might even be necessary, because if we want Him to change our lives for His purposes, it isn't enough to just think that's what we want, not enough even to pray for it only in words, we need to say it and pray for it with our actions, with conscious efforts, studying and practicing to learn to live the way He says to live.

(later) A picture (actions) is worth a thousand words (praying with words only). Not saying not to pray with words also.

Last edited:

Psalm23

NOTE: I think to avoid misunderstandings I should say that I'm not a Christian and I don't believe in any Christian doctrine about salvation or about the Trinity. Even so, I do recognize and accept Jesus as my Lord, and that's the context for what I'm saying here. It looks to me like sometimes people think that spiritual growth doesn't require any conscious effort to learn to live the way that Jesus says to live, that He will do it all for us. I would agree that He doesn't need our help, but I don't think that's a reason not to make any conscious efforts ourselves. I think that it's much better for us if we do. In fact, it might even be necessary, because if we want Him to change our lives for His purposes, it isn't enough to just think that's what we want, not enough even to pray for it only in words, we need to say it and pray for it with our actions, with conscious efforts, studying and practicing to learn to live the way He says to live.

(later) A picture (actions) is worth a thousand words (praying with words only). Not saying not to pray with words also.
I agree with you that effort is important. It's not a either or in my perspective but both. As the apostle Paul said in ‭‭Colossians 1:29 NIV‬:

[29] To this end I strenuously contend with all the energy Christ so powerfully works in me.