• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IN Hell there is no fire....just a separartion from Love

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
I said nothing of compassion,niceness,generous, loving and all other wonderful human attributes. I do find those who depend solely on their own logical intellect more closed minded. Not only do they refuse to even seek an answer, they flat out deny it based on their own intellect which they hold in high regard. IN such high regard that they do not even seek another truth other than their own. It takes a lot of seeking to find God. Its easy to dismiss His existence, My dog can and does do that!

That said its far easier to disprove God's existence based on limited understanding to those people. I do not see anyone demonizing atheists and agnostics. Except when they oppose those who do believe the right to pray in a public building.
Just as an aside, how do you know your dog dismisses the existence of God?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Yours has been the opposite of my own experience.
I have to agree with him Phil. The person who relies only on their intellect rarely opens their mind to others or to new realities. They often claim to use cold logic and yet most others find that sadly lacking in them. Ego and hubris replace real logic and reality. This can apply easily to theist and atheist alike.

mr.guy

crapsack
Just as an aside, how do you know your dog dismisses the existence of God?
Cause his dog don't look like this:
holyki0.jpg

gnostic

The Lost One
kingfrog said:
I said nothing of compassion,niceness,generous, loving and all other wonderful human attributes. I do find those who depend solely on their own logical intellect more closed minded.
The same could be said of believers, who will close their mind, even they are given evidences of what they "believed" is wrong.

There are evidences that the earth is older than 6000 years, but a creationist will blindly reject it. There are proofs that man exist before 6000 years from fossils but they reject that too.

If you wish to believe in fairy tale and folklore than it is no one business but yours. If I want to believe in them, then it is my business, not yours.

We both have the freedom to choose to what we believe, but equally we have the freedom to not believe. So calling someone "close-minded" just because they don't believe is inappropriate and hypocritical since you won't believe what I believe.

Show me real proof of the existence of God, and I will believe. But doesn't mean I will follow. Believing and following are 2 different things. I couldn't follow a god if he is anything like that found in the bible.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
So, God is ontologically love?

I do not know about you, but I would take romantic love over God's love any day.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I have to agree with him Phil. The person who relies only on their intellect rarely opens their mind to others or to new realities. They often claim to use cold logic and yet most others find that sadly lacking in them. Ego and hubris replace real logic and reality. This can apply easily to theist and atheist alike.

This has not been my experience of people.

kai

ragamuffin
ah "my head is done in" as they say , the bible ,hell god, all these allegories, it was easy at Sunday school when they told us it was all true and was the history of the world ,why did i have to grow up to a world of allegories

logician

It can be proven that an omnipotent , benevolent god cannot exist. Other gods are not worthy of worship.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Nordicßearskin;1062172 said:
Perhaps God doesn't need to be a metaphor for anything; sometimes things just have a general metaphorical-ness.
Oh, please. :rolleyes: If something is a metaphor, it's a metaphor for something else. Otherwise, it's not a metaphor.

crystalonyx

This post does not make sense, you seem to be pooh poohing intellect, a common trait of those who pooh-pooh the pursuit of knowledge. I wouldn't want to have you as a teacher.

Scuba Pete

This post does not make sense, you seem to be pooh poohing intellect, a common trait of those who pooh-pooh the pursuit of knowledge. I wouldn't want to have you as a teacher.
Quite the contrary, I eschew self proclaimed experts and logicians. They substitute actual scholarship for what they "feel" must be correct. Their logic is naught but their biases bolstered by stereotypes.

However, I surely don't worship at the alter of intellectualism. Your belief system may be colored by your intelligence, but that does not make it superior to the belief system of others.

As for being your teacher, unless you want to learn Scuba or Fly Fishing, you won't have to worry. :D

logician

Quite the contrary, I eschew self proclaimed experts and logicians. They substitute actual scholarship for what they "feel" must be correct. Their logic is naught but their biases bolstered by stereotypes.

However, I surely don't worship at the alter of intellectualism. Your belief system may be colored by your intelligence, but that does not make it superior to the belief system of others.

As for being your teacher, unless you want to learn Scuba or Fly Fishing, you won't have to worry. :D

The you must eschew yourself, the poster-boy of self-proclaimed experts.

Scuba Pete

The you must eschew yourself, the poster-boy of self-proclaimed experts.
Oh come on. Couldn't you try something CLEVER? You have claimed several things this past week that were UNTRUE.

That Margaret Murray Ohair was killed by theists.
That you can PROVE the non-existence of God.
That you are a logician.

I have shown all of these AND MORE to be sheer flights of fancy on your part. They are absolutely laughable and reading your posts have brought countless smiles to my face.

So in light of this: where have I claimed to be an expert in anything? Where? Please provide links where I have made such a claim. I think this will be just a another outlandish claim by logician that can not be supported.

Methinks it's just a mean spirited jab at me for having exposed so many of your threads as being fraudulent. That's not my fault, but YOURS. Sad that. Especially when I have not attacked you: only your fallacious claims.

So here's the deal: you stop making these outlandish claims, and I will gladly stop exposing them. I mean really: you are embarrassing other atheists.