• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In the U.S., Christianity loses members while atheism grows. Why?

Beaudreaux

My old religion professor used to say that people read the Bible like it was written yesterday in their hometown.

Maybe because so many of the truths found within the scriptures are ageless and timeless.
I'm almost positive that's not what he meant. :)

For instance, I'm willing to bet you don't stone homesexuals, even though it is clearly written in Leviticus 20:13.
13 " 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.
You understand that this was written a long time ago and is more a reflection of the Jewish laws of the time than it is a commandment for today. ...at least I'm really hoping that's what you think.... :)

Beaudreaux

"My old religion professor used to say that people read the Bible like it was written yesterday in their hometown."

^-- Um, Kathryn, I think that line is an insult...
I didn't mean it as an insult. I think it's understandable that people would not take time to go study hermeneutics before reading the Bible.

Beaudreaux

this is already common knowledge as many of the LDS apostles and seventy are highly educated and respected in their lines of work or fields of scientific research.

Famous Mormon Scientists
just to name a couple:
John A. Widtsoe (Former Apostle)
(1872 - 1952)
biochemist
He studied biochemistry at Harvard and in 1889 received a Ph.D. in chemistry from Gottingen University in Germany
Richard G. Scott (Current Apostle)
nuclear engineer
He did advanced studies at Oak Ridge National Laboratory for the Department of Energy.

Famous Mormon Engineers and Inventors
Famous Mormons Mathematicians
Famous Mormons in Education Management
Famous Mormons in Business A-E
Famous Mormons in Business F-M
Famous Mormons in Business N-Z
There are many intelligent theists and many intelligent atheists. No need to get into "My dad can beat up your dad" exchanges. :)

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I'm almost positive that's not what he meant. :)

I know that's not what the PROFESSOR meant - but it's what I meant.

I think the professor made a Freudian slip - or didn't really realize the irony of what he said unintentionally.