• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

INDISPUTABLE Rational Proof That God Exists (Or Existed)

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Except these are not claims that rely on strict premises like math. These rely on faith claims. Such that what is "true" is only "true" to the one who experiences it.
In all of law what can be checked and determined is used to establish the reliability of what can't be. In science things with no evidence and that defy known science are an almost certainty to even the greatest scientists. Why are the standards that apply to everything else not used for God? You do not even have the potentiality of a point unless I was stating proven fact. I was stating faith claims not fact claims. My evidence is more than sufficient for my claims.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
FM, you've hit it squarely on the head. A person who believes in the Abrahamic concept of "God" relies on subjective texts written 2000+ years ago by people we don't know, writing about events we generally cannot verify. Even as a "belief" it's quite shaky, let alone as science.

And then this "uncaused cause" is even shakier yet because it defies what we witness every day (cause and effect), plus who was at the BB or before to verify what happened? How could one possibly know one god did it unless they were there to witness it themselves?

So, it begs the question why do we supposedly have to believe in a theistic cause in the first place, especially since the cosmologists and physicists hypothesize that sub-atomic particles that make up all energy and matter could have always existed, and most cosmologists lean in this direction?

And finally, in religious matters, many of us rely on theologians for help because this is their field, but it seems logical to me at least that we should rely mostly on research scientists when it comes to the issue of the BB. If I need a root canal, I don't go to a lawyer's office; and if I need legal advice, I don't go to a dentist's office.

Anyhow, your post was well said, imo.

FranklinMichaelV.3

Of course it does. Men walk and appear humanoid. If he could not walk or did not look like a man then in what way did he appear as a human. Christ ate, drank, walked, talked, even died (to our eyes). Yet lived again, ascended into heaven, is co-occupant of God's throne, is Lord of all reality, existed before anything else did, and was perfect. He appeared to be human and yet did things only God could do. Appearance is one thing, essence is another.

Why in the world are you restricting supernatural concepts by what natural things are bound by? One hundred years ago no physical law or reality we knew of described how very small objects acted. Do you think we know enough about anything to say what Heaven must have to operate within. Even being absurdly generous and saying heaven needs anything we could ever know of why do you think we know or ever will what that would be. Science in all probability knows infinitely little of the total of just natural reality. It is extremely arrogant to think we has the slightest idea of what reality contains. Much less what is beyond the natural. Time needs no space to exist, in fact your side loves to claim that everything came from nothing (which is abjectly absurd), however what does not even bind the natural is absurd to think as binding what is beyond it.

Because there is not true organize definition of supernatural. Supernatural seems to be pretty much whatever you want it to be. However you have no proof of the supernatural actually interfering with the natural. If it was common then it would certainly be happening even now wouldn't it? What proof do you have?

If science knows very little of "natural reality" under what premise do you have to call something supernatural? I'm confused by that statement, isn't that an argument to ignorance?

Time doesn't need space to exist? I thought it did? What is my side? As well I don't believe something came from nothing, the BBT doesn't even state that either. As far as science knows there was something and it became something else.

FranklinMichaelV.3

In all of law what can be checked and determined is used to establish the reliability of what can't be. In science things with no evidence and that defy known science are an almost certainty to even the greatest scientists. Why are the standards that apply to everything else not used for God? You do not even have the potentiality of a point unless I was stating proven fact. I was stating faith claims not fact claims. My evidence is more than sufficient for my claims.

Because they can be tested?

Can you test for God? Science makes claims of "things that defy" rarely. Most of the time scientist will stick with what is known, Not many fight against the "status quo" and even when they do, it must be tested.

Your evidence is sufficient just for your claims. Which I find very acceptable, however your claims are not fact or even an objective truth as it is not experienced by all but just you. Which again is fine.

FranklinMichaelV.3

FM, you've hit it squarely on the head. A person who believes in the Abrahamic concept of "God" relies on subjective texts written 2000+ years ago by people we don't know, writing about events we generally cannot verify. Even as a "belief" it's quite shaky, let alone as science.

And then this "uncaused cause" is even shakier yet because it defies what we witness every day (cause and effect), plus who was at the BB or before to verify what happened? How could one possibly know one god did it unless they were there to witness it themselves?

So, it begs the question why do we supposedly have to believe in a theistic cause in the first place, especially since the cosmologists and physicists hypothesize that sub-atomic particles that make up all energy and matter could have always existed, and most cosmologists lean in this direction?

And finally, in religious matters, many of us rely on theologians for help because this is their field, but it seems logical to me at least that we should rely mostly on research scientists when it comes to the issue of the BB. If I need a root canal, I don't go to a lawyer's office; and if I need legal advice, I don't go to a dentist's office.

I actually believe in a creator, I just don't always agree with how people attempt to define the creator. Or even what constitutes the creators will, motivation, desires, or anything.

In many points it just seems that people tie whatever attributes they want to the creator.

metis

I actually believe in a creator, I just don't always agree with how people attempt to define the creator. Or even what constitutes the creators will, motivation, desires, or anything.

In many points it just seems that people tie whatever attributes they want to the creator.

I have taken a cue from a retired Protestant minister I know who said that he's willing to call whatever caused our universe/multiverse "God" and pretty much leave it at that.

Ds.jacobs

Science, or the laws of science has been around forever, we only named these strange laws "physics" and "chemistry" etc etc I think it is a fair question perhaps to ask "What is God's origin?" If everything had a start, why not God? However, this we can not prove nor disprove as we do not have facts, we were not there at the start, WE KNOW NOTHING!!!!

Is it fair to ask then that we blindly believe that which your "doctrine" believes in? That which my "doctrine" believes in? We can not now understand the term God properly as every single person is only speculating who and what God is. In the end, I think, every person should practise what he / she believes in privately. Every person should find their happiness in their own relationship with whatever / whomever they call God. What I do believe is that we should always strive to follow certain moral codes and ethics. Who knows who will be right when the end of time comes?

metis

Science, or the laws of science has been around forever, we only named these strange laws "physics" and "chemistry" etc etc I think it is a fair question perhaps to ask "What is God's origin?" If everything had a start, why not God? However, this we can not prove nor disprove as we do not have facts, we were not there at the start, WE KNOW NOTHING!!!!

Is it fair to ask then that we blindly believe that which your "doctrine" believes in? That which my "doctrine" believes in? We can not now understand the term God properly as every single person is only speculating who and what God is. In the end, I think, every person should practise what he / she believes in privately. Every person should find their happiness in their own relationship with whatever / whomever they call God. What I do believe is that we should always strive to follow certain moral codes and ethics. Who knows who will be right when the end of time comes?

Well said, imo.

FranklinMichaelV.3

I have taken a cue from a retired Protestant minister I know who said that he's willing to call whatever caused our universe/multiverse "God" and pretty much leave it at that.

The problem with defining God is that it becomes the personal God, and the personal God is different depending on the person/culture/group.

Between Judaism, Christianity and even Islam, it doesn't even look like all three believe in the same God.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Time is merely sequencing, so any movement by any charge or object reflects time.
That is true, at least as far as I have been taught. God can act within it but is independent from it. He is not before time of after it he is outside of time.

Enai de a lukal

Before I get into what he said, is this the sum total of the cosmologists that claim something came from nothing?
No, you have a short memory. I gave you an article written by two others, and, its an EXTREMELY safe bet they are not alone in their entire field.

Nothing does not exist for anything to come from and has no causal potential whatever no matter what anyone says (and almost no ones says anything different).
Except for, you know, experts in a relevant field. Oops. And here you go, once again, trying to dismiss credible expert opinions with a wave of your hand (and, yet again, without even attempting to understand the claim you dismiss). Seriously, if this is all you're willing to do, why bother engaging cosmology at all, since you've already decided exactly how things are BEFOREHAND?

I have seen many experts in mathematics, cosmology, and philosophy critique his book exhaustively. I even offered you links.
That's great, even if its irrelevant.

I know what it is for a layman such as myself to criticize something a genius like Hawking has said.
We aren't talking about Hawking.

Only in the case where what is said is self contradictory
It isn't self-contradictory- and if you seriously think the matter can be effectively decided by the mere intuitions of laymen (e.g. yourself), don't you find it curious that scientists are bothering with experiments or publishing works on the subject at all? Don't you realize you may be approaching the matter in a woefully simple-minded matter?

There exists no context possible where his statement makes sense and does not destroy its self.
Something which you wouldn't know, because you've demonstrated you don't know the context in which his claim is made in the first place.:facepalm:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
We can verify much of it and it has proven to be astoundingly accurate. As in law it is absurd to verify 80% of testimony but make the argument the source lost there mind on the 20% that can't be. The Bible with regularity make fools out of those who have tried to suggest it is inaccurate. There are entire museums full of artifacts that came from cultures that "experts" said never existed. I know of no greater conversion rate than for the group that honestly tried to prove it wrong. Many of the greatest Christians in history became that way by trying to prove the Bible was incorrect and could not do so. It is especially so when those same men died and suffered for their faith claims. Even my admitted claims of faith are based on much greater evidence and mush less faith than any science that is used to contend with God.

I made claims about the concept of God as it is most often defined by the great faiths and philosophers. It's truth is very likely but it completely independent from what is true of the concept.

The rest of this has to do with how reliable my claims that the concept is true are. That was not the issue. Your claims asked for a creator for a concept without the need of one. Whether that concept is true requires different argumentation and was never the issue. This musical chair of burdens is not meaningful.

The concept of God overwhelming posited by humanity has no need of a creator. The demand for one is based on a lack of knowledge concerning the concept. What is certain is that an infinite regression of causation is impossible and illogical.

FranklinMichaelV.3

We can verify much of it and it has proven to be astoundingly accurate. As in law it is absurd to verify 80% of testimony but make the argument the source lost there mind on the 20% that can't be. The Bible with regularity make fools out of those who have tried to suggest it is inaccurate. There are entire museums full of artifacts that came from cultures that "experts" said never existed. I know of no greater conversion rate than for the group that honestly tried to prove it wrong. Many of the greatest Christians in history became that way by trying to prove the Bible was incorrect and could not do so. It is especially so when those same men died and suffered for their faith claims. Even my admitted claims of faith are based on much greater evidence and mush less faith than any science that is used to contend with God.

I made claims about the concept of God as it is most often defined by the great faiths and philosophers. It's truth is very likely but it completely independent from what is true of the concept.

The rest of this has to do with how reliable my claims that the concept is true are. That was not the issue. Your claims asked for a creator for a concept without the need of one. Whether that concept is true requires different argumentation and was never the issue. This musical chair of burdens is not meaningful.

The concept of God overwhelming posited by humanity has no need of a creator. The demand for one is based on a lack of knowledge concerning the concept. What is certain is that an infinite regression of causation is impossible and illogical.

Wait what?

Makes fools? Have you been following Archaeology? Since the 19th century, Archaeologists have pretty much been stunned about things recorded in the Bible that either

A. Didn't happen

or

B. Didn't happen the way the Bible states it.

Examples:

The Exodus from Egypt
The attack by Sennarchab (sp) on King Hezekiah (Guess who came out on Top?)
The destruction of Jericho
The destruction of Tyre
The conquest of Canaan
Existence of the following:
David (finally we have some writing that seems to indicate house of David)
Abram
Jacob
Israel

Even the books themselves in the Torah Scholars have dated to 7 B.C.E during the exile in Babylon.

But that's the "secular" view I suppose.

metis

To be brief, the scriptures generally deal with God's interactions with people, but we simply cannot verify any of this in any way. Certainly, we can and have verified many narratives in regards to them happening in general, but we simply cannot find verification that God caused this or God caused that.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
No, you have a short memory. I gave you an article written by two others, and, its an EXTREMELY safe bet they are not alone in their entire field.
Do they have a nothing in mind that actually is nothing? Every single one of these "nothing" created stuff guys has a something they are dishonestly calling nothing as in Kraus's and Hawking's case. I am getting weary of the effort.

Except for, you know, experts in a relevant field. Oops. And here you go, once again, trying to dismiss credible expert opinions with a wave of your hand (and, yet again, without even attempting to understand the claim you dismiss). Seriously, if this is all you're willing to do, why bother engaging cosmology at all, since you've already decided exactly how things are BEFOREHAND?
Every word I gave is the professional consensus. That is where I got it from. Nothing comes from nothing is a mantra of Physicists and cosmologists and has been for a long time and judging from Krauss and Hawking not even under contention. They just re-define nothing as something and then make their claims for grant money and attention I guess. You have yet to produce a single example of this miracle or even a claim that is truly something from nothing beyond a contrived version of nothing.

That's great, even if its irrelevant.
You have no use fro critiques I see.

We aren't talking about Hawking.
I have been. For a subject that includes Hawking so often you are sure trying to separate him from it.

It isn't self-contradictory- and if you seriously think the matter can be effectively decided by the mere intuitions of laymen (e.g. yourself), don't you find it curious that scientists are bothering with experiments or publishing works on the subject at all? Don't you realize you may be approaching the matter in a woefully simple-minded matter?
There does not get anything any more self contradicting that claiming that because something exists that is proof that nothing can create anything. It is not unlikely, rare, or irrational that nothing even theoretically can ever produce anything. It is utterly impossible.

Something which you wouldn't know, because you've demonstrated you don't know the context in which his claim is made in the first place.:facepalm:
I read all the text that lead to the comment, or followed in the same context from it. I have heard 4 professional experts in the field independently say the same thing and have read dozens of critiques of that claim by people who have no faith in a creator at all. They are all the same. In fact only your comments have I ever seen that even suggest that he is not being self contradictory. I have also heard three professional in the field the comment exists within (and it is not cosmology) suggest the exact same thing I have. No wonder you resist including him so much. Look, this is just getting monotonous.

Produce an example of something coming from nothing or a claim that it can from a competent authority where nothing actually means nothing, or just give it up. No one can not do this and expect any credibility concerning science, philosophy, or theology. I have been very patient but there is little use staring into a dry well.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Wait what?

Makes fools? Have you been following Archaeology? Since the 19th century, Archaeologists have pretty much been stunned about things recorded in the Bible that either

A. Didn't happen

or

B. Didn't happen the way the Bible states it.

Examples:

The Exodus from Egypt
The attack by Sennarchab (sp) on King Hezekiah (Guess who came out on Top?)
The destruction of Jericho
The destruction of Tyre
The conquest of Canaan
Existence of the following:
David (finally we have some writing that seems to indicate house of David)
Abram
Jacob
Israel

Even the books themselves in the Torah Scholars have dated to 7 B.C.E during the exile in Babylon.

But that's the "secular" view I suppose.
Do you want to have a Biblical archeological debate? Do you realize it is a primary archeological resource of even secular archeologists. I can't do a drive by post about many issues, that each one requires much investigation to resolve. I do not recommend you do so but hope you will. Pick the best from your list if you do. However do not do so unless you plan to invest the time to resolve the issues. BTW I have made no claims about the Torah.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
To be brief, the scriptures generally deal with God's interactions with people, but we simply cannot verify any of this in any way. Certainly, we can and have verified many narratives in regards to them happening in general, but we simply cannot find verification that God caused this or God caused that.
No, the scriptures deal mostly with peoples interactions with other people. However even many of God's actions with people have verifiable evidence which the scriptural explanation is by far the best. For example there are three primary claims about the Gospels that are almost unanimous among NT scholars from either side and are getting stronger daily.

1. Christ appeared in history with a unprecedented sense of divine authority.
2. He was crucified on a cross by the Romans.
3. His tomb was found empty.

The scriptures contain the best explanation for these facts and constitute the core of Christianity its self. They contain the only one consistent with all the evidence. Supernatural claims can have consistent historical evidence that only they adequately explain. We can debate these three and the best explanation if you wish or we can choose another. How about the Census, the earliest church documents, Roman records, extra biblical claims about Christ? I shy away from pre-history claims as no records exist to examine.

FranklinMichaelV.3

Do you want to have a Biblical archeological debate? Do you realize it is a primary archeological resource of even secular archeologists. I can't do a drive by post about many issues, that each one requires much investigation to resolve. I do not recommend you do so but hope you will. Pick the best from your list if you do. However do not do so unless you plan to invest the time to resolve the issues. BTW I have made no claims about the Torah.

You said Bible

The Torah is part of the Bible.

Of course it's a resource, but you understand that it is broken down into the minimalist and the maximal view point. I.e. The Bible is a theological work or it is historical. I have actually looked up those claims. And while I will not be one to say that the absence of evidence is evidence of absence (though it is evidence itself), it does paint a very different picture of Israel than what we are use too.

Enai de a lukal

Every word I gave is the professional consensus. That is where I got it from. Nothing comes from nothing is a mantra of Physicists and cosmologists and has been for a long time...
Well, not of all physicists, as we've seen here...

You have no use fro critiques I see.
When they're irrelevant to the point at issue, yes. Since I've merely pointed out to you that at least some credible experts believe precisely what you claim is universally rejected, and not that these experts are right, what so-and-so has to say about them isn't relevant at all.

I have been. For a subject that includes Hawking so often you are sure trying to separate him from it.
When he has absolutely zero to do with what we're talking about, yes. You keep jumping about like grease off a hot griddle- we talk about the BBT, you try to drag in Hawking's NB Proposal. We talk about Krauss, you change the subject to Hawking. Try to stay on track.

There does not get anything any more self contradicting that claiming that because something exists that is proof that nothing can create anything.
Except for, you know, actual self-contradictions like "Its raining and its not raining" or "bachelors are married". :facepalm:

It is not unlikely, rare, or irrational that nothing even theoretically can ever produce anything. It is utterly impossible.
A metaphysical article of faith, no more.

Produce an example of something coming from nothing or a claim that it can from a competent authority where nothing actually means nothing, or just give it up..
Been there, done that. You didn't bother checking it out, you just zoomed out and tried to find critiques of the writer so you could feel justified in rejecting it out of hand. Once again, I'm simply correcting your errors for the benefit of other posters- I've long since stopped expecting you to be honest when you make a mistake.