• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

INDISPUTABLE Rational Proof That God Exists (Or Existed)

1robin

Christian/Baptist
OK, let's deal with the facts:

Infinity (symbol: ∞) is an abstract concept describing something without any limit and is relevant in a number of fields, predominantly mathematics and physics... In mathematics, "infinity" is often treated as if it were a number (i.e., it counts or measures things: "an infinite number of terms") but it is not the same sort of number as the real numbers. In number systems incorporating infinitesimals, the reciprocal of an infinitesimal is an infinite number, i.e., a number greater than any real number. Georg Cantor formalized many ideas related to infinity and infinite sets during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In the theory he developed, there are infinite sets of different sizes (called cardinalities).[2] For example, the set of integers is countably infinite, while the infinite set of real numbers is uncountable...

Leibniz, one of the co-inventors of infinitesimal calculus, speculated widely about infinite numbers and their use in mathematics. To Leibniz, both infinitesimals and infinite quantities were ideal entities, not of the same nature as appreciable quantities, but enjoying the same properties...

Infinite-dimensional spaces are widely used in geometry and topology, particularly as classifying spaces, notably Eilenberg−MacLane spaces. Common examples are the infinite-dimensional complex projective space K(Z,2) and the infinite-dimensional real projective space K(Z/2Z,1)...

Cosmologists have long sought to discover whether infinity exists in our physical universe: Are there an infinite number of stars? Does the universe have infinite volume? Does space "go on forever"? This is an open question of cosmology. Note that the question of being infinite is logically separate from the question of having boundaries. The two-dimensional surface of the Earth, for example, is finite, yet has no edge. By travelling in a straight line one will eventually return to the exact spot one started from. The universe, at least in principle, might have a similar topology. If so, one might eventually return to one's starting point after travelling in a straight line through the universe for long enough.

If, on the other hand, the universe were not curved like a sphere but had a flat topology, it could be both unbounded and infinite. The curvature of the universe can be measured through multipole moments in the spectrum of the cosmic background radiation. As to date, analysis of the radiation patterns recorded by the WMAP spacecraft hints that the universe has a flat topology. This would be consistent with an infinite physical universe.[citation needed] The Planck spacecraft launched in 2009 is expected to record the cosmic background radiation with 10 times higher precision, and will give more insight into the question of whether the universe is infinite or not.

The concept of infinity also extends to the multiverse hypothesis, which, when explained by astrophysicists such as Michio Kaku, posits that there are an infinite number and variety of universes... -- Infinity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The above is simply a very short version of what is written as there was too much to fit here.
I agree with just about everything here and I think it just a longer version of just what I have said with only one clarification. It is an open question but it is not one there is any reasons to think will be answered in the affirmative. BTW Leibniz is often used to refute those that claim anything ever has or ever could come from nothing.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
And if infinity is not used in math, explain what you see at this site: Limits and Infinity ...
I must have said ten times at least it is used in math. Math, a tiny fraction of theoretical physics and philosophy are the only place it is known to exist. What I actually said was that it is often a boundary condition in math. A thing something can't reach like in mass accelerated to light speed. In others it causes logical absurdities like subtracting an equal from equals and getting two unequal results. In others it causes complete melt downs. Infinity does exist in abstract concepts as I have been saying over and over again but it causes as much destruction even there as gain. It even destroys many laws of simple arithmetic.

or this from Cornell University on cosmology and infinity: [1212.6737] Structure of infinity in cosmology ...

or this: The Infinite and Eternal Nature of the Universe ...

or this from Harvard University: Structure of Infinity in Cosmology
I never said that some scientists on the absurd end of theoretical science do not dream up ways that infinity might exist. I said there are no known actual infinities anywhere. There is no reason to think actual infinites are even possible. If you wish only to claim they are not all known to be impossible that is acceptable, though meaningless as discussing everything where all forms of it are not known to be impossible is an impractical and useless subject to devote time to. You seem to never ever get what I say correct. From now own please post my statement along with what you think makes it wrong. Try this since evidence and proofs will never been given no matter how many times they are requested. Where do you think the best possibility exists that an actual infinite does?

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
There is no math anywhere in there. That is not what relativity says.

Well, as usual, you're making up your own "reality":

Einstein's "Zur Elektrodynamik bewegter Körper" ("On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies") was received on 30 June 1905 and published 26 September of that same year. It reconciles Maxwell's equations for electricity and magnetism with the laws of mechanics, by introducing major changes to mechanics close to the speed of light. This later became known as Einstein's special theory of relativity.

Consequences of this include the time-space frame of a moving body appearing to slow down and contract (in the direction of motion) when measured in the frame of the observer. This paper also argued that the idea of a luminiferous aether – one of the leading theoretical entities in physics at the time – was superfluous.

In his paper on mass–energy equivalence Einstein produced E = mc2 from his special relativity equations. Einstein's 1905 work on relativity remained controversial for many years, but was accepted by leading physicists, starting with Max Planck.
-- Albert Einstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was Einstein's use of math, which is mentioned above, that was the basis on both ToR's. One of my former professors actually was there as he wrote his formulation when at Princeton, and it was all pure math that he put up on the board.

metis

Where do you think the best possibility exists that an actual infinite does?

What I have repeatedly put forth is "infinity" as a possibility that most cosmologists lean towards. I never stated that I know it existed, and I made that, I thought, abundantly clear many times here. It is your remarks that infinity somehow cannot be a hypothetical solution that's absurd, and you have repeated that mantra over and over again.

But what I find so bizarre with your approach is that you pooh-pooh the very thought of infinity, but somehow are so willing to accept a theistic causation for our universe that is virtually impossible to find one shred of evidence for. If you had taken the position that both are hypothetically possible but that you lean towards a theistic causation, that would make sense, and we probably wouldn't have had much of a discussion. But that's not been your approach at all, instead claiming that you know for sure and these others are dishonest, idiots, or both. Just take a look over the last several pages to see where you've done that.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What I have repeatedly put forth is "infinity" as a possibility that most cosmologists lean towards. I never stated that I know it existed, and I made that, I thought, abundantly clear many times here. It is your remarks that infinity somehow cannot be a hypothetical solution that's absurd, and you have repeated that mantra over and over again.

But what I find so bizarre with your approach is that you pooh-pooh the very thought of infinity, but somehow are so willing to accept a theistic causation for our universe that is virtually impossible to find one shred of evidence for. If you had taken the position that both are hypothetically possible but that you lean towards a theistic causation, that would make sense, and we probably wouldn't have had much of a discussion. But that's not been your approach at all, instead claiming that you know for sure and these others are dishonest, idiots, or both. Just take a look over the last several pages to see where you've done that.

A recently posted item (I forget which thread) displays a well known theoretical physicist by the name Kaku.
(hope I got the name right.)

He makes discussion that 'infinity' on the chalkboard is a complete displeasure to theoretical physics.
He then demonstrates an equation that results with infinity+infinity+infinity.......
he is then shown taking a 'thoughtful pose'.

I say....
At the point of singularity...infinity did not exist.
Only when a secondary point forms can an infinite number of points form in between.

Of course, equations fail at the 'point' of singularity.
No number system can exist.

metis

A recently posted item (I forget which thread) displays a well known theoretical physicist by the name Kaku.
(hope I got the name right.)

He makes discussion that 'infinity' on the chalkboard is a complete displeasure to theoretical physics.
He then demonstrates an equation that results with infinity+infinity+infinity.......
he is then shown taking a 'thoughtful pose'.

I say....
At the point of singularity...infinity did not exist.
Only when a secondary point forms can an infinite number of points form in between.

Of course, equations fail at the 'point' of singularity.
No number system can exist.

But we should remember that singularity doesn't mean that everything started there. An excellent book that covers this is "The Universe Before the Big Bang" by Maurizio Gasperini. Even though we think that singularity may help explain a stage near the beginning of our universe, most cosmologists do believe that this is really not the true beginning as there was this singularity there prior to the BB. Google "Brane Theory"/"M-Theory" for examples.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Well, as usual, you're making up your own "reality":

Einstein's "Zur Elektrodynamik bewegter Körper" ("On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies") was received on 30 June 1905 and published 26 September of that same year. It reconciles Maxwell's equations for electricity and magnetism with the laws of mechanics, by introducing major changes to mechanics close to the speed of light. This later became known as Einstein's special theory of relativity.

Consequences of this include the time-space frame of a moving body appearing to slow down and contract (in the direction of motion) when measured in the frame of the observer. This paper also argued that the idea of a luminiferous aether – one of the leading theoretical entities in physics at the time – was superfluous.

In his paper on mass–energy equivalence Einstein produced E = mc2 from his special relativity equations. Einstein's 1905 work on relativity remained controversial for many years, but was accepted by leading physicists, starting with Max Planck. -- Albert Einstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was Einstein's use of math, which is mentioned above, that was the basis on both ToR's. One of my former professors actually was there as he wrote his formulation when at Princeton, and it was all pure math that he put up on the board.
I have no idea what I said that you think this counters and since you of course did not post what I said it probably countered nothing I said. I think you are trying to pick on my claim that no math existed in your original claims by stating for some bizarre reason that Einstein's theory includes math. If so you have once again taken what I said and warped into something it was never intended to say. I said there was no math in what you had stated and there wasn't. I know Einstein's theories contain math I have had to derive E=mc^2 and other formulas of his from scratch in school. I have never thought his theories did not contain math no more than I ever thought Pi was finite. If that was not what you were contending with then I am completely lost concerning why you posted this and said I was wrong. Try again but include my statement you think you are countering.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
What I have shown is that is not true. Most cosmologist (and I have shown this over and over and other atheist debaters have even volunteered it) is that the overwhelming most accepted model in the BBT and it posits a finite past. The second most accepted theory is one who's name has finite in it. Many cosmologists and I as well would allow that all possible infinites are not all known to be impossible. They are probably not possible and good reasons exist to think that but not all are proven impossible. Who cares? How is that a meaningful piece of information. Any conversation about anything not proven impossible is silly. Why discuss blue kangaroos of a planet 100 million light years away just because it is not impossible? Why is reliable science that confirms the bible written off or ignored and claims about what is not impossible talked about page after page?

I do not claim they are wrong on my own authority (even though an 8th grader would know why some of their claims are wrong). I do so because many cosmologists, physicists, pure mathematicians, and philosophers point out why their wrong in ways that no argument is possible that they are right. Nothing never can, never has, and never will produce anything. Nothing is the absence of being and has no causal potential. I do not care how many degrees a guy has who dreams that it can, it never will. What is even stupider than that, is them claiming nothing is actually something and that that proves it could happen. That is just plain dumb, dishonest, and a bad excuse for not knowing what actually occurred. I don't care if they have 75 degrees in all subjects, up is up, and down is down, left is not right and right is not left. I can't change the fact that smart people make stupid claims. I can't say I know every possible instance of infinity is impossible. Most are but some can't be proven impossible. There exist darn good reasons to think they are all impossible but no absolute proof. Discussing them however is worse than meaningless because it takes up time where good science and evidence could be being discussed. They should produce one or shut up, because it is a waste of time to discuss things just because they may not be impossible. Why re you spending all you time on things that are not known and probably never can be instead of using good science to make decisions in the case of God. IN almost every other case you make decisions based on the best information, why in God's case are you doing the exact opposite? Double standards are terrible foundations.

Here is another link that concerns what cosmologist actually believe in the most and why infinities are all probably impossible.

The Kalam Cosmologucal Argument and Infinite Regress by James Watson
Questions of whether an actual infinite exists, and in what capacity, have woven their way through the history of philosophy and mathematics. On the surface there do not seem to be many problems left. Few really believe in an actual infinite set of physical things or that such sets can be formed by successive addition. Transfinite mathematics has shown us that infinites, conceived as whole sets, can be attributed positive properties and formalized into consistent mathematical theories. Yet even Georg Cantor, the most sympathetic proponent of transfinite math, did not believe that any of these sets had ontologically instantiable import.Here I will examine arguments for and against the existence of instantiated infinities in the debate surrounding the kalām cosmological argument for the existence of God. I hope to show, despite the continued hope for the infinite past of the universe or for the infinite nature of time, that the concept of infinity, its definition and implications, precludes any instantiation in or as space-time.

When certain physical theories are developed, theories of cosmogony and cosmogeny, theories of time, etc., their immensity calls into question the common beliefs about infinite sets. Even Aristotle, though he thought infinities could only exist potentially, thought of time as entirely and ontologically infinite, and of time and space as infinite by division.The problems become especially apparent in theories of cosmogony. Concepts such as ‘beginningless series,’ ‘a past point in time infinitely distant from the present,’ and ‘existing through an infinite amount of time until the present’ ask strange things of astrophysicists.
Big bang theories of the universe escape most of these problems. An initial cosmological singularity, in which time and space began, without which there is no concept of ‘prior’ or ‘before’ (since these are temporal terms), supports the claim that an instantiated infinity does not exist with respect to the universe’s age. Medieval Islamic philosophers had no qualms with this type of theorizing. They had developed a philosophical theory that simultaneously proved the finitude of the universe and the existence of a creator.
The kalām cosmological argument, as opposed to the Thomistic and Leibnizian, is one of the better-respected arguments for the existence of God. Because its validity is not controversial,because it aligns with the most prominent scientific theories of the universe, and because it agrees with general philosophical insight concerning properties of infinities, it is one of the more interesting pieces of religious philosophy.

It can be stated as follows:
(1) Whatever begins to exist has a cause of existence.
(2) The universe began to exist.
(2.1) Argument based on the impossibility of an actual infinite:
(2.11) An actual infinite cannot exist.
(2.12) An infinite temporal regress of events is an actual infinite.
(2.13) Therefore, an infinite temporal regress of events is an actual infinite.
(2.2) Argument based on the impossibility of the formation of an actual infinite by
successive addition:
(2.21) A collection formed by successive addition cannot be actually infinite.
(2.22) The temporal series of past events is a collection formed by successive
addition.
(2.23) Therefore, the temporal series of past events cannot be actually infinite.
(3) Therefore, the universe has a cause of its existence.
Questions of whether an actual infinite exists, and in what capacity, have woven their way through the history of philosophy a

Last edited:

Enai de a lukal

Most cosmologist (and I have shown this over and over and other atheist debaters have even volunteered it) is that the overwhelming most accepted model in the BBT and it posits a finite past.
:facepalm:

You are absolutely shameless, aren't you? No trouble with asserting bald-face lies, over and over again, regardless of whether they've been corrected numerous times already. The BBT posits a hot, dense early state of the universe, some finite time ago- but not an absolute, finite lifespan of the universe.

The Kalam Cosmologucal Argument and Infinite Regress by James...
Few really believe in an actual infinite set of physical things or that such sets can be formed by successive addition.
This isn't accurate. Few (outside of Christian apologetics) disbelieve in "an actual infinite set of physical things".

The kalām cosmological argument, as opposed to the Thomistic and Leibnizian, is one of the better-respected arguments for the existence of God.
Better respected within Christian apologetics and natural theology? Perhaps. Outside of that? Absolutely not, without question.

Because its validity is not controversial
False. In its theistic form, its widely recognized as being invalid- that God exists, does not follow from the premises given; that is pretty much uncontroversial within the philosophy of religion. In any case, validity doesn't take you very far, since there are valid arguments with logically false premises; a valid argument can still be a poor argument, if the premises are not plausible or true, in other words, if the argument is not logically sound.

because it aligns with the most prominent scientific theories of the universe
It only looks that way after we do some stuffing of a round peg into the square hole. As above, the 'most prominent scientific theories of the universe', as in the BBT, don't posit a beginning, or cause, of the universe.

and because it agrees with general philosophical insight concerning properties of infinities
Actually, it basically takes what few general consensuses exist among philosophers or theorist concerning infinity and then says the opposite of that.

Once again, more misrepresentation- and probably intentional as well.

Enai de a lukal

The lack of a secondary 'point'.

I think someone owes five bucks to someone else.
So, nothing to do with the fact that its density, temperature and curvature become infinite or increase without limit? In other words, all this time physicists have been completely confused, talking about singularities as points at which certain quantities become infinite?

:shrug:

metis

You [1robin] are absolutely shameless, aren't you? No trouble with asserting bald-face lies, over and over again, regardless of whether they've been corrected numerous times already...

I'm at wits end with 1robin as well, and for exactly the same reason. I've gotten close several times putting him on the ignore list because I'm getting sick and tired of his disingenuous shenanigans.

1robin

Christian/Baptist

You are absolutely shameless, aren't you? No trouble with asserting bald-face lies, over and over again, regardless of whether they've been corrected numerous times already. The BBT posits a hot, dense early state of the universe, some finite time ago- but not an absolute, finite lifespan of the universe.
My God you came back even more wrong than you left. I kept using BGV theorem as the most common model in cosmology. Your the one who kept insisting that BBT is the most common model. I claim you insisted what you insisted and you insist I am shameless. What the heck are you talking about. I am used to trying to get your side to admit reality is reality but this is a level of lunacy I never thought possible. The BBT theorem even produces very finite ages. It posits that the universe (you know that term that means everything there is) is in the teens of billions of years old. The theorem contains on finite things. Not a single infinite. If you wish your precious fantasy a possibility to exist you must go outside the real of the BBT and into the fictional fairytale land of the modern theoretical cosmologist. The BBT is finite from start to finish. I even offered to prove that to you with quotes. I do not blame you for not wanting to be shown wrong but to turn around claim a theory which includes finite spans allows for the infinite is just absurd. They do not know much of anything about history but even that and the BBT abruptly ends a micro second after the bang. The bang is finite the theory is finite, just accept it but even if you can't sarcasm will not help.

This isn't accurate. Few (outside of Christian apologetics) disbelieve in "an actual infinite set of physical things".
That is complete nonsense and there is a very easy way to prove me wrong. Give me an actual infinite. The only infinite here is the amount of evidence it would take to convince an atheist that up is up if it being up was consistent with God. I have proven this several times as well and did not use Christian sources. There is no reason to believe an infinite of any kind is even possible outside fantasy land. I notice no matter how many times I give you the opportunity of proving me wrong you have not even attempted it once and it should be easy.

Better respected within Christian apologetics and natural theology? Perhaps. Outside of that? Absolutely not, without question.
That has nothing to do with my claims. I did not use a single Christian in these claims you mention but even if I did some of the greatest cosmologists, physicists, and mathematicians in history have been Christian. This is just another diversion to distract from the fact you can't produce an actual infinite or any good reason to even think they are possible nor can you produce an example of something coming from nothing because there exists no possibility that it ever could. BTW if your referring to Kalam. The argument was formulated by the Greeks not Christians, further validated by the pagan Romans not the Christians, and was given a slight twist by a Muslim not a Christian. It is still as unassailable today as it has been for thousands of years. Some preference objections exist in the form of fantasy dressed in scientific language but no real objection with any teeth at all is known. That is why science still lines up with it.

False. In its theistic form, its widely recognized as being invalid- that God exists, does not follow from the premises given; that is pretty much uncontroversial within the philosophy of religion. In any case, validity doesn't take you very far, since there are valid arguments with logically false premises; a valid argument can still be a poor argument, if the premises are not plausible or true, in other words, if the argument is not logically sound.
The statement you responded to is not mine. I do not know the history behind the statement as made by another and so can't defend what I did not create. What I do know is there exists no good reason even in theory to suggest a single step in the cosmological argument is the slightest bit unreliable.

It only looks that way after we do some stuffing of a round peg into the square hole. As above, the 'most prominent scientific theories of the universe', as in the BBT, don't posit a beginning, or cause, of the universe.
The BBT has a beginning. It even has a duration. What it describes has mountains of evidence that it has a beginning. Every single wishfully thought that the universe is eternal is a fantasy and flies in the face of known facts and the only reasons it is challenged and not swallowed hole like evolution is because atheists find it inconvenient.

Actually, it basically takes what few general consensuses exist among philosophers or theorist concerning infinity and then says the opposite of that.
I have no idea what that means.

Once more no evidence, no proof, no reason to think there ever will be any provided, no reasons to even think it is possible, but plenty of fantasy and sarcasm. I see we are on track given atheism tactics 101.

Trying to get an atheist to look beyond science when that misunderstood science is thought to have a slight hint at making God less likely is impossible. Trying to get them to go with reliable science and come in from fantasy world when it makes God more likely is impossible. Do one or the other, at least be consistent. Trying to get you to acknowledge the conclusions of reliable science is worse than trying to put a cat in a trash can. He has no idea why he should not go in the trash can but he isn't going on principle.

For no apparent reasons here is more information to be ignored at your convenience.
Big Bang Theory - The Premise
The Big Bang theory is an effort to explain what happened at the very beginning of our universe. Discoveries in astronomy and physics have shown beyond a reasonable doubt that our universe did in fact have a beginning. Prior to that moment there was nothing; during and after that moment there was something: our universe. The big bang theory is an effort to explain what happened during and after that moment.

According to the standard theory, our universe sprang into existence as "singularity" around 13.7 billion years ago.

http://www.big-bang-theory.com/

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I'm at wits end with 1robin as well, and for exactly the same reason. I've gotten close several times putting him on the ignore list because I'm getting sick and tired of his disingenuous shenanigans.
I am agreeable to being put on any list that means I do not have to point out over and over that up is up and down is down, even if that makes God more likely. Not one point has your side of the argument carried. Not one example of evidence given. Not one claim you have made about infinity even has even a good reason to think possible, and something from nothing first of al is not what even the most theoretical of theoretical cosmologists claim and can't possibly occur, and no attempt at evidence was even attempted yet again. I have provided evidence, quotes, reasons, what theories actually mean, scholars (most all of who were non-Christians), and even ways you could show me wrong, but your side has not even made a reasonable attempt to meet them. Put me on any list you want. Banging my head on the wall of inconsistent faithless denial based on preference in contradiction to all the evidence has become unbearable. Too bad it won't be retroactive. Also it is against forum rules to mention one poster to another, especially in a negative way. However I am a Christian and I forgive instead of using the reporting of posts as a way of not dealing with arguments or of sidetracking the issue by obsessing over perceived or contrived insults, but do not worry about it, that was for your benefit.

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
So, nothing to do with the fact that its density, temperature and curvature become infinite or increase without limit? In other words, all this time physicists have been completely confused, talking about singularities as points at which certain quantities become infinite?

:shrug:
Nothing known has ever become infinite. No one in Earth's history knows a single thing you claimed, and probably never will, and very good reasons exist to think they are impossible.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
This applies to you as well.

Does it not?
That does not even make sense. I claim only finites exist and others claimed infinites probably do. Everything ever known about anything is perfectly consistent with what I said. Every atom, every arrangement of atoms known is proof that only finites are known. In what way is there no evidence for what I claimed.

The fact no infinite actuality was provided and no reasons to think they are even possible does constitute no evidence.

Everything known is my evidence in addition to what I provided, nothing known is their evidence. I fail to see the equality there. It gets even worse for something from nothing claims.

Why did you ask this?

There is some serious flaw in the slaw going on.

The person with the faith position provides 100% of the evidence.
The Christian can't by any exertion get the atheists to go with proven science over the deepest end of the theoretical fantasy science.
That does not fit the rhetoric.

Last edited:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Nothing known has ever become infinite. No one in Earth's history knows a single thing you claimed, and probably never will, and very good reasons exist to think they are impossible.

:biglaugh:

And yet "goddidit" is a legitimate answer?

:biglaugh: