• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inerrancy of the Bible and other Religious Texts

Ryan2065

AV1611 said:
My pleasure, Ryan. It confirms what I've always said too: nothing, but nothing I said has been of any use to you. So I need to quit trying, because I'm doing a very poor job.
In this thread you are trying to prove that the bible is flawless. Seeing as science is not on your side, I would consider that task quite impossible.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ryan2065 said:
In this thread you are trying to prove that the bible is flawless. Seeing as science is not on your side, I would consider that task quite impossible.
I know you do, Ryan.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
AV1611 said:
Deut. 32.8 said:
Faith in the face of evidence to the contrary is pure superstition./QUOTE]

Tell that to Marco Polo.

Tell that to Christopher Columbus.

Tell that to someone lying in a hospital dying of AIDS, hanging on to one last ray of hope that someone will find a cure in time.

Tell that to someone on kidney dialysis.

Tell that to a woman desperately trying to have a child, when doctors say otherwise.
You are confusing faith with hope.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
so are any other religious texts innerant? or just the Bible?

I know muslims clame that the Quran is innerant as strongly as some christians clame the Bible is.

so what about the Vedas? Book of Mormon?

wa:do

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
painted wolf said:
so are any other religious texts innerant? or just the Bible?

I know muslims clame that the Quran is innerant as strongly as some christians clame the Bible is.

so what about the Vedas? Book of Mormon?

Wolf, I'd rather not get into that, if you don't mind, because it's tantamount to bashing someone else's religion.

But let me give you this much:

• JEHOVAH CREATED THE UNIVERSE
  • JEHOVAH IS PERFECT
  • JEHOVAH SAID HE IS THE ONLY GOD IN EXISTENCE
You can infer my answer from those.

Fascist Christ

AV1611 said:
Wolf, I'd rather not get into that, if you don't mind, because it's tantamount to bashing someone else's religion.

But let me give you this much:
  • JEHOVAH CREATED THE UNIVERSE
  • JEHOVAH IS PERFECT
  • JEHOVAH SAID HE IS THE ONLY GOD IN EXISTENCE
You can infer my answer from those.
Oh! Me too!
  • Fascist Christ CREATED THE UNIVERSE
  • Fascist Christ IS PERFECT
  • Fascist Christ SAID HE IS THE ONLY GOD IN EXISTENCE
Why would anyone doubt me?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fascist Christ said:
Oh! Me too!
  • Fascist Christ CREATED THE UNIVERSE
  • Fascist Christ IS PERFECT
  • Fascist Christ SAID HE IS THE ONLY GOD IN EXISTENCE
Why would anyone doubt me?
Did you confirm it by signs and wonders? Did you walk on water in front of eyewitnesses? Did you heal the sick, raise the dead, and die on a cross? All in front of eyewitnesses? Just to name a very few.

That's why.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
painted wolf said:
So what makes one book right but the rest wrong?

all claim to be devinely inspired and written under gods direction by his prophets.

You raise a very good point, Painted Wolf. With so many claims of divine inspiration and inerrancy, how does one decide between them? Or does one simply reject them all?

Fascist Christ

AV1611 said:
Did you confirm it by signs and wonders? Did you walk on water in front of eyewitnesses? Did you heal the sick, raise the dead, and die on a cross? All in front of eyewitnesses? Just to name a very few.

That's why.
Yes yes yes! That's all me! I had 1000 witnesses. They're all dead now, though. You probably didn't read my book. No wonder you're a non-believer. Say hi to Satan for me when you join the other heathens and burn in hell.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:
You raise a very good point, Painted Wolf. With so many claims of divine inspiration and inerrancy, how does one decide between them? Or does one simply reject them all?
One very good way is to study what the enemies of that particular religion had to say.

Take the Roman Empire for example. They invested a large amount of their budget into supressing Christianity before it got "out of hand". Also, and this is even better, some of the Jews themselves tried to supress it before it even got started.

Another very good way is to study the martyrs that came out of a particular religion. Was it worth dying just to write a small portion of documentation? Was it worth dying just to mention the religion's founder?

Another way is to study the testimonies of those who are in it today. Has it really changed their lives. Do they now have hope where they didn't have it before?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fascist Christ said:
Say hi to Satan for me when you join the other heathens and burn in hell.
Better yet, you say HI to him yourself right now. Since he's not in Hell yet --- he's alive and well on Planet Earth --- and has some people in his grasp.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
AV1611 said:
Sunstone said:
With so many claims of divine inspiration and inerrancy, how does one decide between them?
One very good way is to study what the enemies of that particular religion had to say.
A criteria that might just as easily made with reference to Christianity in defense of Islam. In fact, it is a near worthless criteria, and a particularly worthless one in the hands of someone more than willing to embrace fable and falsify history.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
AV1611 said:
Deut. 32.8 said:
A criteria that might just as easily made with reference to Christianity in defense of Islam. In fact, it is a near worthless criteria, and a particularly worthless one in the hands of someone more than willing to embrace fable and falsify history.
So why then is that taught as a potent method of debating the validity of something?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
AV1611 said:

Take the Roman Empire for example. They invested a large amount of their budget into supressing Christianity before it got "out of hand". Also, and this is even better, some of the Jews themselves tried to supress it before it even got started.
I'm not sure I can agree with the premise that an effort to supress a religion makes that religion true. For instance: There are Christian organizations today that are trying to supress Wicca. Does that make Wicca a true religion?

Another very good way is to study the martyrs that came out of a particular religion. Was it worth dying just to write a small portion of documentation? Was it worth dying just to mention the religion's founder?
Again, I'm not sure I can agree with the premise that martyrs prove the truth of any religion. Does Mohamed Atta's self sacrifice on 9/11 prove the truth of his view of Islam?

Another way is to study the testimonies of those who are in it today. Has it really changed their lives. Do they now have hope where they didn't have it before?
Again, I cannnot agree with this. I am aware of many people from many different faiths, including nonChristian people, who testify that their religion has changed their lives for the better. But their testimonies do not seem to me to be evidence that their religious texts are divinely inspired and inerrant.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:
I'm not sure I can agree with the premise that an effort to supress a religion makes that religion true. For instance: There are Christian organizations today that are trying to supress Wicca. Does that make Wicca a true religion?

Again, I'm not sure I can agree with the premise that martyrs prove the truth of any religion. Does Mohamed Atta's self sacrifice on 9/11 prove the truth of his view of Islam?

Again, I cannnot agree with this. I am aware of many people from many different faiths, including nonChristian people, who testify that their religion has changed their lives for the better. But their testimonies do not seem to me to be evidence that their religious texts are divinely inspired and inerrant.
Oh well, you asked, just thought I'd answer.