• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Infallibility of the Pope

Arrow

So i know that the Catholic Church does not mean that the Pope is perfect, but what exactly does this mean? From what i have come to understand it means that the Pope cannot teach false theology to the Church.

Scott1

Thanks for the questions.

Vatican II explained the doctrine of infallibility as follows: "Although the individual bishops do not enjoy the prerogative of infallibility, they can nevertheless proclaim Christ’s doctrine infallibly. This is so, even when they are dispersed around the world, provided that while maintaining the bond of unity among themselves and with Peter’s successor, and while teaching authentically on a matter of faith or morals, they concur in a single viewpoint as the one which must be held conclusively. This authority is even more clearly verified when, gathered together in an ecumenical council, they are teachers and judges of faith and morals for the universal Church. Their definitions must then be adhered to with the submission of faith" (Lumen Gentium 25).

Infallibility belongs in a special way to the pope as head of the bishops (Matt. 16:17–19; John 21:15–17). As Vatican II remarked, it is a charism the pope "enjoys in virtue of his office, when, as the supreme shepherd and teacher of all the faithful, who confirms his brethren in their faith (Luke 22:32), he proclaims by a definitive act some doctrine of faith or morals. Therefore his definitions, of themselves, and not from the consent of the Church, are justly held irreformable, for they are pronounced with the assistance of the Holy Spirit, an assistance promised to him in blessed Peter."

The infallibility of the pope is not a doctrine that suddenly appeared in Church teaching; rather, it is a doctrine which was implicit in the early Church. It is only our understanding of infallibility which has developed and been more clearly understood over time. In fact, the doctrine of infallibility is implicit in these Petrine texts: John 21:15–17 ("Feed my sheep . . . "), Luke 22:32 ("I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail"), and Matthew 16:18 ("You are Peter . . . ").

Papal Infallibility

MotoEric

I believe that everything that Scott posted is correct, but to be concise and quick, I believe that the Pope is only infallible in matters of Doctrine and Dogma.

Hope that helps!

Eric

Scott1

I believe that everything that Scott posted is correct, but to be concise and quick, I believe that the Pope is only infallible in matters of Doctrine and Dogma.
Thanks Eric... sometimes I forget sometimes simple is better! To be clear, it is FAITH and MORALS that I believe you meant to say.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Thanks Eric... sometimes I forget sometimes simple is better! To be clear, it is FAITH and MORALS that I believe you meant to say.
That's the difference between a saint and theologian. A saint can say what a theologian can in one sentence. :)

Booko

Deviled Hen
If I might interject for a moment, I believe infallibility has been invoked only once since its definition during the First Vatican Council in 1870 and that was on the topic of the Assumption of Mary.

Hopefully my memory from family dinners with my husband's Catholic family is still intact. :cover:

Anyway, non-Catholics often get the incorrect idea that papal infallibility means the Pope is never wrong. I'm sure if he were driving he might be as liable to take a wrong turn as the rest of us. :)

Another misconception is that this is something that happens all the time. Uh, definitely not.

Scott1

If I might interject for a moment, I believe infallibility has been invoked only once since its definition during the First Vatican Council in 1870 and that was on the topic of the Assumption of Mary.
Twice..... the Dogma of the Immaculate Conception:
In the Constitution Ineffabilis Deus of 8 December, 1854, Pius IX pronounced and defined that the Blessed Virgin Mary "in the first instance of her conception, by a singular privilege and grace granted by God, in view of the merits of Jesus Christ, the Saviour of the human race, was preserved exempt from all stain of original sin."
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Immaculate Conception
and the Dogma of the Assumption:
By promulgating the Bull Munificentissimus Deus, 1 November, 1950, Pope Pius XII declared infallibly that the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary was a dogma of the Catholic Faith. Likewise, the Second Vatican Council taught in the Dogmatic Constitution Lumen Gentium that "the Immaculate Virgin, preserved free from all stain of original sin, was taken up body and soul into heavenly glory, when her earthly life was over, and exalted by the Lord as Queen over all things (n. 59).
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Assumption of Mary
Anyway, non-Catholics often get the incorrect idea that papal infallibility means the Pope is never wrong. I'm sure if he were driving he might be as liable to take a wrong turn as the rest of us.
Right... a lot of people also don't understand it is a NEGATIVE gift.... it means that there will be NO ERROR, not that something is always presented perfectly.

Peace,
S