• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inherent worth for everyone?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Is it really true that everyone has inherent worth and dignity or is that what UU's are trying to give to everyone? I think a lot of people don't feel they are worth much. Many people are stuck in situations that aren't very dignified. Does everyone already have this worth and dignity or is UU trying to raise everyone to that level? The statement doesn't seem to quantify how much dignity and worth of a person. Are some people worth more than others?
This is something I struggle with myself, Kungfuzed.

I believe that everyone is an aspect of God, a living theomorphism. In that sense, yes - EVERYONE has the same inherent worth and dignity.

However, I also believe that we as a society have not only the right, but the responsibility to pass judgement on people based on their actions, and if necessary, remove them. Does a pedophile have the same worth to society as a loving parent? Absolutely not.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Life itself is precious. It's easy to see that. What's difficult sometimes is seeing the inherent worth and dignity in the individual. Most of the time it's because I don't really know the person. Maybe I confuse liking or loving people with inherent worth and dignity. I suppose I don't really need to like someone or agree with them for them to have inherent worth or for me to treat them with respect. I think sometimes I confuse UU principles with Christian ones, like love your enemies, turn the other cheek, stuff like that. Is the principle of inherent worth and dignity mostly about recongizing a person's right to live and treating them with respect, or does it go deeper than that?

Another question is, does all life have inherent worth and dignity, or just humans?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Life itself is precious. It's easy to see that. What's difficult sometimes is seeing the inherent worth and dignity in the individual. Most of the time it's because I don't really know the person. Maybe I confuse liking or loving people with inherent worth and dignity. I suppose I don't really need to like someone or agree with them for them to have inherent worth or for me to treat them with respect. I think sometimes I confuse UU principles with Christian ones, like love your enemies, turn the other cheek, stuff like that. Is the principle of inherent worth and dignity mostly about recongizing a person's right to live and treating them with respect, or does it go deeper than that?
The answer to that is highly individualistic. For me, even the right to live can be forfeited (I support the death penalty in principle), but I simultaneously believe that we are all equal on the divine level. My "soul" is no better or worse than the evil person's. Indeed, it will eventually take on just such an incarnation, if it hasn't already.

Another question is, does all life have inherent worth and dignity, or just humans?
All life.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
My "soul" is no better or worse than the evil person's.
I do not believe that there are any "evil" people, nor "good" people. There are people who do things that are good and evil, and some people are more prone to do evil things than other people. Some much, much more prone.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I think, in a way, it's a self fulfilling prophecy. Things like worth and dignity are subjective, a perception. Believing in it makes it true, both for the believer, and eventually for the person you believe has worth and dignity. When you affirm and promote the worth and dignity of others, it validates your own in the process. It's one of those things that should be universally true weather it is or not. The type of world I want to live in can't exist without it.