• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intellectual Men vs "Manly" Men

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange
The playing cards thread actually got me thinking how few men I know that are what you would consider "typical": My husband and most of the men I know/that my friends are dating are intellectual and philisophical types. They go hiking and read books instead of watching sports and having poker nights. I also find that most men that I know who I would consider "typical" men are quick to write off the more intellectual members of their gender as being sissy or less of a man, and I truthfully don't get that (though, sometimes I do long for a man who likes his power drill and jigsaw as much as I do..)

But, that also got me thinking: is the "typical" male real, or just a stereotype?

I don't think I fit either type that you seem to have mentioned. I don't go hiking, read books, watch sports, or have poker nights. I don't consider myself an intellectual or a "typical" male. I can be philisophical, perhaps, but I think I'm mainly just artistic and creative.

As far as being, "less of a man," people can think whatever they want. I use my hands a lot in conversation and talk like a valley girl - I guess you could say I'm pretty effeminate. I send "gaydars" off like crazy even though I'm straight. People's perceptions of me can be very frustrating at times because I don't feel like any less of a man. And I'm not.