• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inter-faith Relationships

Monat

Do you and your spouse or significant other share the same faith? If not, what is the faith of your partner and how has this affected your relationship? Also in what faith do you plan on raising your children?

I have just recently become a Bahai, and my wife is Roman Catholic. We love the religious differences in our relationship and it frequently starts really interesting conversations with friends. And as for our children, we're planning on celebrating both religions together and allowing our children full freedom of choice.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i'm pagan, and up until recently i was going out with a quaker. it worked quite well religiously, quakers are very liberal christians, but the movement has branched out from christianity and now accepts other forms of spirituality. i didn't go along to any quaker meetings, and he never came along to any of my pagan groupings, and we hardly ever spoke about religion any way :shrug:

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Yugo's a member now, so I'll have to come out of the inter-faith marraige closet eventually - hahaha. I might as well.

My husband is Roman Catholic, or a Bosnian Croat as we say. He was born and raised in a small city that is shared between Roman Catholics and Muslims so, despite coming from rural Bosnia, he still has a very strong familiarity with my faith - probably even moreso than I do with his.

He chased me for a long time, longer than I probably know. I remember the first time I met a large group of his friends it was at his apartment. The purpose of the party was for them to meet me and when I walked in, one of his female friends gasped and said, "Oh my God! It's THAT girl! He used to make me go to the cafe where you worked every day, for hours. I ****ing hated you and I didn't even know you! Hahaha!"

I love him, simply - but I also was very enthusiastic about this marraige because there was a post-war atmosphere of "every inter-faith marraige counts", a means of rebuilding what was lost.

We don't have a lot of religious tension between us because we tend to have identical political and social views. We were both furiously disappointed with the election of the Panzer Pope, for example. I go to Church with him sometimes, and he comes to Mosque with me sometimes - all of our "House of Worship friends" (the people we see there and nowhere else) accept us both.

Children we discussed many times. We decided at first that we would raise them to be Bosnian, and after that they can choose whether or not they will be Roman Catholic or Muslim or whatever else. Tens of thousands of Bosnian children were raised this way, but then we decided it's simply too communist to work for us, since we're both very religious.

We thought we'd raise any sons as Christians, and any daughters as Muslims - since we both believe this arrangement empowers each gender best. Then we grew beyond that as well - because if we're willing to have one of our own children a faith other than our own, what does that say about our level of belief?

So we talked it over with our religious mentors - his uncle, a Catholic theology professor, and my Imam. They didn't have much to offer us but we left with an impression that... the choice we've made, to marry, has presented us with our own unique problems - just as every couple has - and this is one of them.

They both recommended simply raising the children with both - I would take them to Mosque, he takes them to Church, and we let them grow in whichever way they choose. It will be strange for he and I to raise what is known in our country as a half-breed, a child of a mixed-marriage. Both are families are probably the two most homogenously religious families in Bosnia.

Every, single Bosnian family has two, three mixed marraiges somewhere in the family tree - my family has one, that we know of (great-grandmother/great-grandfather), and his family has two - also in the great-X generation.

athanasius

I am devout Roman Catholic. My former fiance of 5 years was raised a Baptist. She went to Holy Mass with me and I went to service with her. She broke up with me about 8 months before we were about to get married. She could not accept a few things in my faith that are near and dear to my heart. Because of our faith differences, our understanding and conviction of morality and spirituality was quite different. We had some issues, namely the birth control issue and what to raise and teach our kids. I wanted to baptize our child Catholic and teach them the faith which to me was the true faith of Christ with fullness fo truth. She did not want to baptise our kids. rejected the moral stances on life issues and birth control I had and had some problems with other issues of spirituality and worship. I stuck to my faith and would not budge.

Thankfully years later Jesus sent me a wonderful Catholic women(my wife) whom I can pray with and share my full faith with without getting into a argument or feeling wrong or bad . We will baptize and raise our kids Catholic and the disagreement on morality issues that existed in my prior relationship do not exist in my marriage because we both share the same faith.

My friend is a devout Catholic who married a devout non-denominational Christian women. Her parents do not like him becuase he is Catholic. Her(His wifes) Church tried to get him to convert to thier faith. Luckily he is a strong Catholic and denied them. He goes to her worship service every week. She raely attends Holy Mass with him or supports his faith. They have a daughter. She is alomost two. He wanted and still wants so badly to get her baptized and teach her the Catholic faith. He mom says no. Guess who wins. The mom does. This is killing him inside. His faith is partially stunted and he cannot share it with his daughter.

Sure they pray together, and even read the bible together but that is not always enough. For one, they pray differently in some ways. Although they both pray to God and Jesus, he also prayes to Mary and the saints. She doesn't. although they both read the scriptures, they both interpret them differently because of each others beliefs. They do not agree fully on salvation or worship.

So while I would say that a marriege between two people of different faiths could work, it would be rather difficult. It could work if one of the partners is not a practicing or devout member of his faith. But if both are devout and practicing members of thier faith and both beleive 100% in the truth of thier faith, then I would say no it wouldn't work for practical reasons. It would end up putting a strain on their marriage and their spirituality which they could not fully share and be appreciated with eachother.

As one who has been there before take it from me its alot easier to marry someone of the same beliefs and religion. It also allows full potential for growth in both partners spirituality and faith in their own religion.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I'm Ecclectic Wicca, and GC is a panentheist (I think). We work together quite well, actually. Neither of us have dogma to overcome, no strict issues to block us.

Even if we were the same religions as we were before we found what we currently are (I was Catholic, and I think he was Presbyterian (he's always fuzzy on labels)), I think that we would have worked out. Neither of us were very strong in our faiths then and I think the only thing I would have about it was simply, that he was Protestant.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
One more inter-faith couple, coming up!

Steve and I are different in our beliefs, and like many families, our children are starting to come into their own, too. I'm a practicing Buddhist, and Steve is a non-practicing UU (he identifies more with them than any other organized institution).

We have this idea that our beliefs are our own, and neither one of our beliefs ought to be disrespected. We've seen on both sides of our families that just because a couple might be unified in which church they go to, they don't always believe the same on every issue (such as politics, education, children's discpline, and even doctrines within their own professed faith).

It's not that we aren't aware of the extra hurdle in our marriage, but we try to use it to our advantage than a disadvantage. So, even though there aren't certain Buddhist holidays like Wesak that Steve and I will celebrate together with the kids, we are teaching them to respect others' faiths and beliefs that are different than their own.

At least that's the plan. We'll see in about 15 years or so just how much we've screwed them up. :p

Peace,
Mystic

Booko

Deviled Hen
Djamila said:
They both recommended simply raising the children with both - I would take them to Mosque, he takes them to Church, and we let them grow in whichever way they choose. It will be strange for he and I to raise what is known in our country as a half-breed, a child of a mixed-marriage. Both are families are probably the two most homogenously religious families in Bosnia.

This happens a lot in Baha'i families, Djamila, and it works out pretty well. Let's face it -- the kids will go their own way eventually anyway. ;) You can instill values in them and hope for the best.

But the biggest thing about interfaith marriages is that Baha'is prize family unity -- and that's what gets the families staying together. If you guys really focus on "what's healthy for our family" and do things *as* a family, you'll be fine, and so will the kids. :)

Every, single Bosnian family has two, three mixed marraiges somewhere in the family tree - my family has one, that we know of (great-grandmother/great-grandfather), and his family has two - also in the great-X generation.

Truly, interfaith marriages are probably one of the best hopes for your people to live together and avoid another civil war. It's mnuch harder for people to take sides and take up violence when they're telling half their family to go stuff it, you know?

Booko

Deviled Hen
When my husband and I married, I was a Baha'i and he a lapsed Catholic and an agnostic in denial. ;)

We had similar core values, though, in terms of our priorities in life, an approach to the mundane things of life like...finances :sleep:, and ethics.

One value we shared in common is a respect for other religions (or lack of religion), and we agreed up front that whatever we did in raising the kids, we'd do together.

I did have a bit of an issue with him for Baha'i holy days, getting him to come along without grumbling. He was afraid that someone would think he was a hypocrite. :rolleyes: I pointed out that it was pretty strange for a free thinker like him to suddenly care what other people think all of a sudden when the subject is religion, and he got over it.

I did feel a bit held back by his agnosticism, in the sense that I had to scale back some of the "extra" work I would've done, because it wasn't worth being away too much and putting stress on the marriage. In other circumstances, we would've just both worked on the team.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Both my husband and myself are Latter-day Saints. We both were "born in the covenant" (a term meaning born into already LDS families). Both sides of our family (husbands and mine) are LDS for the most part. He has a couple of brothers that don't deny it, but don't attend and my sister is in a phase.

While in high school I was interested in a Catholic and explored various religions, but never came to something that suited me how I needed it to.

I'm particularly glad hat we have a same-faith marriage, because it makes our every-da desicions much, much easier.

BFD_Zayl

well, my former loved one was jewish, but we never really broached upon the subject of religion, if we were to have children i'm sure they would be jewish as well, and when they were at an appropiate age i would reveal myself to them.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
BFD_Zayl said:
...if we were to have children i'm sure they would be jewish as well, and when they were at an appropiate age i would reveal myself to them.

Your faith, right?

evearael

I love Judaism and would convert in a heartbeat... though I am currently unable to because my husband is not Jewish. :) So, I will remain B'nai Noach unless my husband is also willing and enthusiatic to convert. Regardless, we have a deep respect for each other and where the other is spiritually. We strive to raise them to be good people, filled with wisdom, love, compassion and a thirst for justice. We are raising our children to be thinkers. We want them to question, to study, to grow... not just blindly accept what they are told.

Zephyr

Moved on
Well, my girlfriend is an Atheist and I'm a Heathen and that's never been a problem. Then again, neither of us are all too outwardly religious, and the Gods aren't such a big deal to me in the end, so meh. It all works fine.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Monat said:
Also in what faith do you plan on raising your children?
mrscardero and I thought it would be fun to raise our children each in a different faith totally remote from our own.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
cardero said:
mrscardero and I thought it would be fun to raise our children each in a different faith totally remote from our own.

That's actually quite an intriguing idea--one that I'd consider, in fact, if only for humours' sake. :p

uumckk16

My boyfriend is a Methodist. It hasn't caused any problems because we have deep respect for each other and we are similar politically and have virtually identical morals.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
My husband is an atheist and I'm...well I don't really know what I am. He has absolutely no interest in religion (when the topic comes up he tends to ignore me, or I get a "that's nice dear"), but we have pretty much agreed that when we have children, if they will be raised in any spiritual tradition we will go as a family to a UU church.

joeboonda

Our family was catholic, then we became non-catholic Christians. My Mother, Father, 2 Brothers and 2 sisters all became Christians. One older brother who has some doubts about what he believes, is married to a Jewish woman, and one sister is married to an Arab. Makes for interesting get-togethers, but we all get along quite nicely despite our different beliefs. My sisters children all say when they turn 18 they are going to grandmother's house (my Mom) and are going to be Christian. I hope they do! We all love and care for each other deeply, although we live all over the U.S., so even though we know somewhat what each other believes, and have discussed it some, we pretty much leave it alone, unless an opportunity presents itself.