• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

International Court of Justice to "Punish" Countries That Contribute to Global Warming

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
You trust Euro judges with making US law? Help?:eek:

It's called global community and global responsibility. You think it's alright for the U.S. to intervene in other country's affairs when they effects the U.S., so don't you think other nations have a right to protect themselves from the effects caused by other countries? If you shared a boat with someone, and they were drilling holes through the hull, wouldn't you slap the drill out of their hands to keep them from sinking the boat? Think of planet earth as this boat, that we're all passengers on.

Last edited:

Dunemeister

It's called global community and global responsibility. You think it's alright for the U.S. to intervene in other country's affairs when they effects the U.S., so don't you think other nations have a right to protect themselves from the effects caused by other countries? If you shared a boat with someone, and they were drilling holes through the hull, wouldn't you slap the drill out of their hands to keep them from sinking the boat? Think of planet earth as this boat, that we're all passengers on.

Frubals to FH.

I trust European judges LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG before I trust American lawmakers when it comes to issues of environmental protection. The fact is that they get it and American lawmakers, by and large, don't.

That said, I'm no fan of the Canadians, either. We're selling off our tar sands like there's no tomorrow. It's one of the last sources of oil in the world, and it's also got one of the heaviest carbon footprints. It takes a barrel of oil to produce two barrels of oil from the tarsands.

But the worst part of this (perhaps) is that we are selling ALL this oil to America, which means we Canadians still get our oil from shaky regimes such as Kuwait, Nigeria, and Venezuela. Ah well, as long as Uncle Sam is happy...

God help us.

zippythepinhead

Your Tax Dollars At Work

Well then go to the Global Community. I am not an isolationist, but I am not for allowing foreign courts to overrule our Constitution. The ICJ luckily has no jurisdiction over the US and never should. That would be a nightmare. The supreme law of the land for America is the Constitution and not foreign law from France, Yemen, Sweden, or Russia :knight:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

Nice!

I don't know if I agree with the legal action in question. (I'm kind of a dumbo when it comes to international law and politics.) But something has to be done, and I wouldn't argue against a sincere effort to take environmentalism as seriously as it ought to be.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Well then go to the Global Community. I am not an isolationist, but I am not for allowing foreign courts to overrule our Constitution. The ICJ luckily has no jurisdiction over the US and never should. That would be a nightmare. The supreme law of the land for America is the Constitution and not foreign law from France, Yemen, Sweden, or Russia :knight:

The spirit of the Constitution is about the freedom to pursue live and liberty for all people. And that's hard to do when we're shackled by our own greed.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Well then go to the Global Community.

What do you mean "go to" the global community? It's not something you "go to". If you live on this planet you're already a part it. So if you don't want to be a part of it, you'll have to leave the planet. How, exactly, is the constitution being "overruled"? You never cared about the constitution before, so why would you start now? Anyone on this planet who refuses to take responsibly for the effects that their own actions have upon it really don't belong on it.

zippythepinhead

Your Tax Dollars At Work
What do you mean "go to" the global community? It's not something you "go to". If you live on this planet you're already a part it. So if you don't want to be a part of it, you'll have to leave the planet. How, exactly, is the constitution being "overruled"? You never cared about the constitution before, so why would you start now? Anyone on this planet who refuses to take responsibly for the effects that their own actions have upon it really don't belong on it.
I am part of the global community, but I am not a citizen of the world. I am American and damn proud to be so. :4th: Also, I am a staunch supporter of the Constitution. Have you seen my posts on the Constitution, judges, voters, et al. I hate what the courts and the politicians are ignoring or throwing under the bus in the Constitution. Prime example anything goes with Free Speech...don't get me started.....

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I am part of the global community, but I am not a citizen of the world. I am American and damn proud to be so. :4th: Also, I am a staunch supporter of the Constitution. Have you seen my posts on the Constitution, judges, voters, et al. I hate what the courts and the politicians are ignoring or throwing under the bus in the Constitution. Prime example anything goes with Free Speech...don't get me started.....

Our nation is still a part of this planet, dumdum. If you really loved America, you would want it to better itself and serve as an example to the rest of the world.

zippythepinhead

Your Tax Dollars At Work
Our nation is still a part of this planet, dumdum. If you really loved America, you would want it to better itself and serve as an example to the rest of the world.
I believe that I can also be a better example. Now that granted, America has been by and large a great example to the rest of the world. Yes we have our fleas, tapeworms, ticks, and warts. But by and large we have liberated more people than enslaved via American blood in wars both seen and unseen. Diplmatically we have done more to reduce conflict in the world than spread death and destruction. So when the sins vs good are weighed, America is a shining city on a hill with a few street lights knocked out.;)