• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interview for a World Religion class!

AMH0520

Hello! I am in a World Religion class and need to interview someone of a faith other than Christianity or branches of Christianity!
Here are the questions! If anyone is willing to help out! Thanks!! :)

What is your name? First name is fine
1. What religion do you practice and how did you come to practice it?

2. The frequency and types of prayer the person engages in?

3. How often do you worship? Why do you worship? What do you preform during your worship services?

4. What do you believe is the best lesson your religion teaches?

5. What do you most disagree with about your religion, if anything?

6. What is one thing about your religion that affects your daily life and family life?

7. What does your faith teach about the nature of God or ultimate reality?

8. What does your faith teach about the truth of the human person? (ex. You are not who you think you are.)

9. What does your religion teach about the nature of the world?

10. What is your favorite religious text or passage? What is one story/message from this text that you remember having a strong impact on yourself?

11. Do you try to tell others about your religion? How might someone better understand your faith? In your opinion, what is the most common misconception about their faith?

12. Areas where your faith comes into conflict with modern culture?

13. Have you ever questioned your faith?

14. How are you raising you children in this faith, if you have any?

15. What are your beliefs on the after life?

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
is your name? First name is fine

Gary

Buddhism. I came to practice it through encountering a Buddhist, finding that practice helped me, developing love for the Buddha through his attractive qualities like universal compassion, and eventual conversion when all that coupled with the fact I care about suffering in the world.

Ideally, daily meditation, but not everyone can stick to that. Next to ideal is having specified days and times you do it as a discipline.

Also chant Buddha and Bodhisattva mantras to open channels of merit within and bring merit to others in the world.

Buddhist rite opens with affirmation in the Triple Gem universally, far as I know.

There's also prayers asking the gods that may be near to hear the Buddha's true teaching about heaven and release, assist and guard the practitioners, and to protect the teaching in the world.

Also of importance is repentance of karmic misdeeds by oneself and reciting the Four Immeasurables, which is a practice of Loving Kindness for all beings.

3. How often do you worship? Why do you worship? What do you preform during your worship services?

I just explained that pretty well.

Be compassionate and always try to feel for where others may be in their lives.

. What do you most disagree with about your religion, if anything?

Nothing really.

6. What is one thing about your religion that affects your daily life and family life?

Vegetarianism. Both daily life and family. Aspiring to nonviolence and the Buddha's heart of love for all that exists.

It teaches there are deities, but not omni ones like in monotheism. That deities are beings in the wheel of birth and death. That some of them are practicing Buddhists along side us because they heard the teaching and it moved them.

Ultimate Reality is Nirvana, which in Mahayana Buddhism can also be one and the same with Dharma and Buddha.

8. What does your faith teach about the truth of the human person? (ex. You are not who you think you are

That we're misled by our base senses in almost every matter. We think we're divided the more we rely on the ego and feed it. This division is an example of something Buddhism teaches is a delusion.

It is cyclic, transitory, changing, arising, and decaying. That everything in this realm is subject to suffering. That everything in this realm is no self, and in Mahayana- that everything is marked with Nirvana.

10. What is your favorite religious text or passage? What is one story/message from this text that you remember having a strong impact on yourself?

The Diamond Sutra is a favorite. It teaches there is a realness to things not at all as we see them. Beyond all conception we make of them.

11. Do you try to tell others about your religion? How might someone better understand your faith? In your opinion, what is the most common misconception about their faith?

Yes. A Buddhist should know when is a good time to share the Dharma with others.

Others could better understand my faith by reading authentic literature by masters with lineage.

The most common misconception of my faith in the west is that it's atheistic.

Materialism and consumerism as a point to life are misguided

Yes

No kids.

Rebirth to a better life for Buddhists. Rebirth to a better life for good non-Buddhists. Rebirth to hell for cruel and malicious people that enjoy harming even through prejudices of aversion like racism, and perhaps a certain kind of hypocrite. The masters certainly taught such in history.

The Lotus Sutra teaches everything will be saved in time by the Buddha's skillful means and merits. That will be toward the end of the final age.

(Note: other Buddhist sects may differ in degrees)

Last edited:

AMH0520

Gary

Buddhism. I came to practice it through encountering a Buddhist, finding that practice helped me, developing love for the Buddha through his attractive qualities like universal compassion, and eventual conversion when all that coupled with the fact I care about suffering in the world.

Ideally, daily meditation, but not everyone can stick to that. Next to ideal is having specified days and times you do it as a discipline.

Also chant Buddha and Bodhisattva mantras to open channels of merit within and bring merit to others in the world.

Buddhist rite opens with affirmation in the Triple Gem universally, far as I know.

There's also prayers asking the gods that may be near to hear the Buddha's true teaching about heaven and release, assist and guard the practitioners, and to protect the teaching in the world.

Also of importance is repentance of karmic misdeeds by oneself and reciting the Four Immeasurables, which is a practice of Loving Kindness for all beings.

I just explained that pretty well.

Be compassionate and always try to feel for where others may be in their lives.

Nothing really.

Vegetarianism. Both daily life and family. Aspiring to nonviolence and the Buddha's heart of love for all that exists.

It teaches there are deities, but not omni ones like in monotheism. That deities are beings in the wheel of birth and death. That some of them are practicing Buddhists along side us because they heard the teaching and it moved them.

Ultimate Reality is Nirvana, which in Mahayana Buddhism can also be one and the same with Dharma and Buddha.

That we're misled by our base senses in almost every matter. We think we're divided the more we rely on the ego and feed it. This division is an example of something Buddhism teaches is a delusion.

It is cyclic, transitory, changing, arising, and decaying. That everything in this realm is subject to suffering. That everything in this realm is no self, and in Mahayana- that everything is marked with Nirvana.

The Diamond Sutra is a favorite. It teaches there is a realness to things not at all as we see them. Beyond all conception we make of them.

Yes. A Buddhist should know when is a good time to share the Dharma with others.

Others could better understand my faith by reading authentic literature by masters with lineage.

The most common misconception of my faith in the west is that it's atheistic.

Materialism and consumerism as a point to life are misguided

Yes

No kids.

Rebirth to a better life for Buddhists. Rebirth to a better life for good non-Buddhists. Rebirth to hell for cruel and malicious people that enjoy harming even through prejudices of aversion like racism, and perhaps a certain kind of hypocrite. The masters certainly taught such in history.

The Lotus Sutra teaches everything will be saved in time by the Buddha's skillful means and merits. That will be toward the end of the final age.

(Note: other Buddhist sects may differ in degrees)
Thank you so so much!! I really appreciate your responses and all the info!! :)

TransmutingSoul

May God's Will be Done
Premium Member

As per my Profile, that is me.

Baha'i and a very long story. In the end Faith is gifted. My wife found it in her heart by reading a prayer from the Baha'i Faith and after a while I read a book written by a follower called 'God Loves Laughter', which in turn changed my heart.

We have daily obligatory prayers to perform. We Pray at least Dawn, noon and evening. Mostly as much as we can when God comes to mind in our daily lives.

3a Same as above 3b. Why do you worship? 3cWhat do you preform during your worship services?

3B.To connect to the source of all Love.
3c. There is no set program. Obligatory prayer has ablutions and actions that must accompany the prayer.

The Oneness of our God, the Oneness of His Messengers and the Oneness of Humanity. That no man should exalt himself above another.

Not a thing about the Faith. I would add that we as follows, are always the issue if anything is wrong.

It is our life, we live for the Faith.

God is unknowable, above all knowledge. To be known he gives the Holy Spirit to a chosen Messenger in each age we need guidance. They are the Attributes. Thus we know of God only through them, by attributes and not by essence.

8. What does your faith teach about the truth of the human person? (ex. You are not who you think you are.)

We are Human in flesh with a Soul and Mind. Soul and Mind are not attached to the body and they will live past this life. This life is the Matrix of the Spiritual Worlds of God. We are here to gain the virtues which are our Spiritual Limbs.

Baha'u'llah will provide this answer. "Verily I say, the world is like the vapor in a desert, which the thirsty dreameth to be water and striveth after it with all his might, until when he cometh unto it, he findeth it to be mere illusion. It may, moreover, be likened unto the lifeless image of the beloved whom the lover hath sought and found, in the end, after long search and to his utmost regret, to be such as cannot “fatten nor appease his hunger.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh Pg 328

0. What is your favorite religious text or passage? What is one story/message from this text that you remember having a strong impact on yourself?

"Be generous in prosperity, and thankful in adversity. Be worthy of the trust of thy neighbor, and look upon him with a bright and friendly face. Be a treasure to the poor, an admonisher to the rich, an answerer of the cry of the needy, a preserver of the sanctity of thy pledge. Be fair in thy judgment, and guarded in thy speech. Be unjust to no man, and show all meekness to all men. Be as a lamp unto them that walk in darkness, a joy to the sorrowful, a sea for the thirsty, a haven for the distressed, an upholder and defender of the victim of oppression. Let integrity and uprightness distinguish all thine acts. Be a home for the stranger, a balm to the suffering, a tower of strength for the fugitive. Be eyes to the blind, and a guiding light unto the feet of the erring. Be an ornament to the countenance of truth, a crown to the brow of fidelity, a pillar of the temple of righteousness, a breath of life to the body of mankind, an ensign of the hosts of justice, a luminary above the horizon of virtue, a dew to the soil of the human heart, an ark on the ocean of knowledge, a sun in the heaven of bounty, a gem on the diadem of wisdom, a shining light in the firmament of thy generation, a fruit upon the tree of humility. Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh Pg 285

Baha'u'llah has said; "Center your energies in the propagation of the Faith of God." (Bahá’u’lláh, Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 196)

The Guardian of the Baha'i Faith has provided further clarity to that answer;

"But he urges you to do all you can to always, however small the reference you are able to make to it may be, clearly identify or associate what you are giving out with Bahá’u’lláh. The time is too short now for us Bahá’í’s to be able to first educate humanity and then tell it that the Source is this new World Faith. For their own spiritual protection people must hear of the name Bahá’í—then, if they turn blindly away, they cannot excuse themselves by saying they never even knew it existed! For dark days seem still ahead of the world, and outside of this Divine Refuge the people will not, we firmly believe, find inner conviction, peace and security. So they have a right to at least hear of the Cause as such!" (Shoghi Effendi, The Compilation of Compilations vol II, p. 283)

Modern culture conflicts with Gods Message, it has rejected the elixir that it needs to find our Unity under One God.

We raised our Children with the Knowledge of all Faiths.

Baha'u'llah will again answer this with a Hidden Word - “#32: O SON OF THE SUPREME! I have made death a messenger of joy to thee. Wherefore dost thou grieve? I made the light to shed on thee its splendor. Why dost thou veil thyself therefrom"

Baha’u’llah taught the existence of myriad “worlds of God”, including one we enter when we shed the physical form. But Baha’is also believe that the next life isn’t something we’re supposed to concern ourselves about in such a way that it reduces our life here to the status of a waiting room.

First of all, Baha’u’llah says that we can no more comprehend what that next existence will be like more than the child in the womb can conceive of life in this world, and for the same reason – we have no possible frame of reference. Baha’is believe that “afterlife” isn’t just a static place, but rather a progression toward God.

"And now concerning thy question regarding the soul of man and its survival after death. Know thou of a truth that the soul, after its separation from the body, will continue to progress until it attaineth the presence of God, in a state and condition which neither the revolution of ages and centuries, nor the changes and chances of this world, can alter. It will endure as long as the Kingdom of God, His sovereignty, His dominion and power will endure. It will manifest the signs of God and His attributes, and will reveal His loving kindness and bounty." – Baha’u’llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha’u’llah, p. 155.

"The nature of the soul after death can never be described, nor is it meet and permissible to reveal its whole character to the eyes of men. The Prophets and Messengers of God have been sent down for the sole purpose of guiding mankind to the straight Path of Truth. The purpose underlying Their revelation hath been to educate all men, that they may, at the hour of death, ascend, in the utmost purity and sanctity and with absolute detachment, to the throne of the Most High. The light which these souls radiate is responsible for the progress of the world and the advancement of its peoples. They are like unto leaven which leaveneth the world of being, and constitute the animating force through which the arts and wonders of the world are made manifest." – Gleanings from the Writings of Baha’u’llah, p. 155.

Regards Tony

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Hello! I am in a World Religion class and need to interview someone of a faith other than Christianity or branches of Christianity!
Here are the questions! If anyone is willing to help out! Thanks!! :)

crossfire
I'm a Buddhist and a Luciferian. Was trained in Zen about 30 years ago, and started studying Luciferianism about 4 years ago.

No prayer, but i do meditate.

I don't worship.

To straighten out your mind.

I disagree with the cataphatic approach many Luciferians (and most western traditions) hold, and favor Buddhism's apophatic approach.

Mindfulness and being in the present moment.

The three marks of existence in Buddhism: impermanence, unsatisfactoriness, and not-self or non-substance based.

Sentient beings are subject to delusion, capable of awakening, and worthy of compassion.

As previously answered, the three marks of existence are impermanence, unsatisfactoriness, and not-self or non-substance based.

The Kalama Sutta, the Hsin Hsin Ming, and Dhammapada 1:1-6.

There is a whole lot of false propaganda out there about both Buddhism and Luciferianism. You really have to investigate for yourself.

Both Buddhism and Luciferianism critique culture. Buddhism is more subtle about it than Luciferianism.

Always

My son can choose his own faith. I raised him to have his own mind.

We'll see when we get there.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
I would love to help you, but Pastafarianism is probably not something that your World Religion teacher wants to see.