• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interviewing @The Hammer

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Hi @The Hammer !

Thanks for agreeing to be interviewed.

You and I talk religion and spirituality pretty frequently, so for the sake of this interview, I'm going to pretend you're a stranger. :)

Can you start out by telling us a little bit about what your religious path is?

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Hi @The Hammer !

Thanks for agreeing to be interviewed.
Absolutely. It's my pleasure.

You and I talk religion and spirituality pretty frequently, so for the sake of this interview, I'm going to pretend you're a stranger. :)

Can you start out by telling us a little bit about what your religious path is?

I've been staring at this for a couple of minutes now trying to find the best way to answer this without a wall of text lol.

As an overall term, I would label myself a Pagan.

One of those Tree hugging, Nature worshipping, Dirt whisperers often heard about. This unfortunately covers a pretty diverse group of people though, from Discordianism to Wiccan.

So, within that group, the specific Path that I follow is Druidry. This is a modern religious interpretation of the Celtic priestly class, and beliefs of pre-Christian Europe.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Absolutely. It's my pleasure.

I've been staring at this for a couple of minutes now trying to find the best way to answer this without a wall of text lol.
Walls of text are fine. (So are short hedges, too. :) )
As an overall term, I would label myself a Pagan.

One of those Tree hugging, Nature worshipping, Dirt whisperers often heard about. This unfortunately covers a pretty diverse group of people though, from Discordianism to Wiccan.
Are all Pagans tree huggers, would you say?
So, within that group, the specific Path that I follow is Druidry. This is a modern religious interpretation of the Celtic priestly class, and beliefs of pre-Christian Europe.
What makes Druidry different from other paths, or to stand out from them?

What things do you do or believe that makes you a Druid?

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Walls of text are fine. (So are short hedges, too. :) )
Well you know me and text walls lol :p

Are all Pagans tree huggers, would you say?
I would say that overall the majority of pagans are tree huggers, environmentalists, or in some way eco-conscious.

Paganism as a whole is more often than. not considered to be an "Earth Based Religion", meaning it's focus is on the worship of aspects of Nature, and direct interaction with it. This is noted by both adherents, as well as religious studies scholars.

Now, as with any religious group, there are sects and outliers that do not agree with the notion of nature worship, or downplay it's significance. Some even arguing that it isn't historically accurate.

And some Pagans focus more on Occult and Esoteric practices (magic), then any sort of worship.

What makes Druidry different from other paths, or to stand out from them?
I think one of the main things I first noticed with Druidry that makes it stand out a bit from some of the other pagan paths, such as Wicca, is that Nature (capital N), is often at the forefront of worship.

And while avenues of Paganism have varying takes on theism; Druidry tends to lean into Polytheism and Animism/Pantheism, as opposed to some of the more popular Duotheistic paths.

This can be seen through the fact that, while focused on Fertility (as a virtue), there is a lack of a required gender binary in ritual and worship. So while the Gods in prehistory are of varying genders and sexual expressions, we don't boil all of the deities down to a singular "Lord and Lady" pairing.

What things do you do or believe that makes you a Druid?

Well, I've touched a little bit on that above. With Nature worship as a focus, including a polytheistic outlook. Another point that seems to be in agreeance with most Druids is that reincarnation is a spiritual reality, something that always happens and unlike Hinduism it's not seen as a cycle that necessarily needs to broken. Instead being seen as a never ending spiritual improvement path, with no end.

Now of course, Druidry is a diverse path, and of you ask any 3 Druids the same question, and you'll get 6 answers. There are some who don't use it as a religion, but as a philosophy that they tack on to their other beliefs. So there are Judeo-Druids, and secular/humanist Druids too, for instance.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Well you know me and text walls lol :p

I would say that overall the majority of pagans are tree huggers, environmentalists, or in some way eco-conscious.

Paganism as a whole is more often than. not considered to be an "Earth Based Religion", meaning it's focus is on the worship of aspects of Nature, and direct interaction with it. This is noted by both adherents, as well as religious studies scholars.

Now, as with any religious group, there are sects and outliers that do not agree with the notion of nature worship, or downplay it's significance. Some even arguing that it isn't historically accurate.

And some Pagans focus more on Occult and Esoteric practices (magic), then any sort of worship.
When did Paganism first 'speak' to you?
I think one of the main things I first noticed with Druidry that makes it stand out a bit from some of the other pagan paths, such as Wicca, is that Nature (capital N), is often at the forefront of worship.

And while avenues of Paganism have varying takes on theism; Druidry tends to lean into Polytheism and Animism/Pantheism, as opposed to some of the more popular Duotheistic paths.
Can you tell us some about your personal theism?
This can be seen through the fact that, while focused on Fertility (as a virtue), there is a lack of a required gender binary in ritual and worship. So while the Gods in prehistory are of varying genders and sexual expressions, we don't boil all of the deities down to a singular "Lord and Lady" pairing.
That makes sense. That seems to be a potent theme in Wicca, if my understanding is correct.
Well, I've touched a little bit on that above. With Nature worship as a focus, including a polytheistic outlook. Another point that seems to be in agreeance with most Druids is that reincarnation is a spiritual reality, something that always happens and unlike Hinduism it's not seen as a cycle that necessarily needs to broken. Instead being seen as a never ending spiritual improvement path, with no end.
My wording may be a little clumsy. :D

I was wondering more specifically about your Druidy. What do you personally do that you consider 'Druid practices'? (Actions more so than beliefs.) How do you 'live it'?
Now of course, Druidry is a diverse path, and of you ask any 3 Druids the same question, and you'll get 6 answers. There are some who don't use it as a religion, but as a philosophy that they tack on to their other beliefs. So there are Judeo-Druids, and secular/humanist Druids too, for instance.
That was always something I've always admired about Druidry; its quite adaptable.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
When did Paganism first 'speak' to you?
Hmmm, I guess it depends on how you want to look at it. I didn't know what Paganism was until I was an older teenager with access to the internet. That's when I really began to explore my own belief system, and find that name. At that time I was interested in finding a belief system that was of the Past and of the Earth. I was looking for spiritual Roots.

But prior to that, I had always found a deep sense of calm and peace with being outdoors and in natural surroundings. Feeling a real connection to divinity when I could touch the Earth and see Sky.

As a child I spent the majority of my time outside and exploring the world. From the green spaces and parks around me, to the empty undeveloped desert spaces that once surrounded my home town. I'd go down to the drainage ditches in spring to catch/watch the baby frogs and tadpoles there. Sometimes becoming enamored with the moon and his cycles, or finding particular constellations during winter. I was always in Awe with the world I saw around me.

So, that Nature streak has always been there for me. And that wonder has never really left to be honest.

Now, the first time I realized that I was on the right path by calling myself a Pagan came much later.

Can you tell us some about your personal theism?

Of course. So I am a Polytheist believing in multiple types and divisions of Divine beings that are worthy of worship and respect. Dividing this group up we get the three Kindreds of the Gods, Ancestors and Nature Spirits.

The Gods are those great shining Ones above us, that guide and drive humanity forward. Our Ancestors are our anchors and ties to the past that makes us who and what we are. And the Nature Spirits around and within us act to bind the three in Midworld.

Now you'll notice my usage of the term Midworld at the end there. That's because I personally frame this in the terms of the pre-Christian Germanic peoples, as the gods I worship are often the Germanic and Norse Gods. So the ancestors are Alfar and Disir, the spirits are the land-wights (landvaettir) and House-wights (husvaettir), etc.

Edit: will get to other questions in a bit.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Revealed religions speak of a world and figure who is to come at the proper time of one sort or another. When you write of "forward" are you referring to a particular view of what this means to you? And is there a destination?

"Forward" in the sense of bettering ourselves and consequently the world around us. The Gods are not only great powers of Nature, but exemplars of virtues such as wisdom, courage, and hospitality for instance. There is never a destination, only a cycle of growth, death, and rebirth. Ever onward.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
My wording may be a little clumsy. :D

I was wondering more specifically about your Druidy. What do you personally do that you consider 'Druid practices'? (Actions more so than beliefs.) How do you 'live it'?

Oh gotcha! Probably not clumsy as much as the Internet is a tough medium sometimes.

I'll start with the foundation of the wheel of the year. This is a cycle of 8 Holy High days, which I celebrate throughout the year, they take place every 6-7 weeks, and mark the seasons and their transitions. These are typically celebrated with an outdoor ritual honoring the three kindreds of that respective season. They also include offerings to them, referred to as a sacrifice (ie to give something of value). These rituals are performed in the Reconstructionist style of ADF.

I also try to embody a set of 9 core virtues (amongst others). These virtues being: Wisdom, Piety, Vision, Courage, Integrity, Perseverance, Hospitality, Moderation and Fertility. Basically, trying to behave as honorably as I can in all my relationships and dealings.

I have also spent a good deal of my free time exploring and learning about the ecosystems and natural world around me. Learning to identify the plants, animals and other denizens around the various biomes of the PNW. Such as, which plants come into season at which times of year, marking the flow of time (dandelions in spring, berries in summer, mushrooms in fall, hawthorns in winter). I learned what feeds the local rivers and streams near me (snow melt) and where our potable water comes from (natural aquifer shared with Canada), and what their major polluters are (agricultural waste).

To be more environmentally conscious I've begun recycling more and more of what glass and metal I can, and limit my purchase and usage of plastics where possible. I also have learned a bit of gardening, canning and preserving, as well as foraging for food stuffs.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Hmmm, I guess it depends on how you want to look at it. I didn't know what Paganism was until I was an older teenager with access to the internet. That's when I really began to explore my own belief system, and find that name. At that time I was interested in finding a belief system that was of the Past and of the Earth. I was looking for spiritual Roots.

But prior to that, I had always found a deep sense of calm and peace with being outdoors and in natural surroundings. Feeling a real connection to divinity when I could touch the Earth and see Sky.

As a child I spent the majority of my time outside and exploring the world. From the green spaces and parks around me, to the empty undeveloped desert spaces that once surrounded my home town. I'd go down to the drainage ditches in spring to catch/watch the baby frogs and tadpoles there. Sometimes becoming enamored with the moon and his cycles, or finding particular constellations during winter. I was always in Awe with the world I saw around me.

So, that Nature streak has always been there for me. And that wonder has never really left to be honest.

Now, the first time I realized that I was on the right path by calling myself a Pagan came much later.
Do you remember when you had that 'ah-ha!' moment?
Of course. So I am a Polytheist believing in multiple types and divisions of Divine beings that are worthy of worship and respect. Dividing this group up we get the three Kindreds of the Gods, Ancestors and Nature Spirits.

The Gods are those great shining Ones above us, that guide and drive humanity forward. Our Ancestors are our anchors and ties to the past that makes us who and what we are. And the Nature Spirits around and within us act to bind the three in Midworld.
Which of the Gods stick out the most for you?
Now you'll notice my usage of the term Midworld at the end there. That's because I personally frame this in the terms of the pre-Christian Germanic peoples, as the gods I worship are often the Germanic and Norse Gods. So the ancestors are Alfar and Disir, the spirits are the land-wights (landvaettir) and House-wights (husvaettir), etc.
What's Midworld?

What is the distinction between Alfar and Disir?

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Oh gotcha! Probably not clumsy as much as the Internet is a tough medium sometimes.
It can be! :)
I'll start with the foundation of the wheel of the year. This is a cycle of 8 Holy High days, which I celebrate throughout the year, they take place every 6-7 weeks, and mark the seasons and their transitions. These are typically celebrated with an outdoor ritual honoring the three kindreds of that respective season. They also include offerings to them, referred to as a sacrifice (ie to give something of value). These rituals are performed in the Reconstructionist style of ADF.
Which are your favorites? :)
I also try to embody a set of 9 core virtues (amongst others). These virtues being: Wisdom, Piety, Vision, Courage, Integrity, Perseverance, Hospitality, Moderation and Fertility. Basically, trying to behave as honorably as I can in all my relationships and dealings.
I like that.

Which come the easiest to you? Which are the most difficult?
I have also spent a good deal of my free time exploring and learning about the ecosystems and natural world around me. Learning to identify the plants, animals and other denizens around the various biomes of the PNW. Such as, which plants come into season at which times of year, marking the flow of time (dandelions in spring, berries in summer, mushrooms in fall, hawthorns in winter). I learned what feeds the local rivers and streams near me (snow melt) and where our potable water comes from (natural aquifer shared with Canada), and what their major polluters are (agricultural waste).
That sounds like a very rewarding practice.

To be more environmentally conscious I've begun recycling more and more of what glass and metal I can, and limit my purchase and usage of plastics where possible. I also have learned a bit of gardening, canning and preserving, as well as foraging for food stuffs.
Do you feel knowing these bits and practicing them connects you with the Ancestors at all?

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Do you remember when you had that 'ah-ha!' moment?

Oh, that would have to have been the first time I read Greer's "The Druidry Handbook: Spiritual Practice Rooted in the Living Earth". There were quite a few ah-ha moments when reading that book. For instance, his pointing out the benefits of breaking out of dichotomous thinking, instead preferring a ternary (three sides) approach. He also gives a simple and easy to grasp introduction to meditation and breath focus.

Which of the Gods stick out the most for you?

Odin has taken top spot for me for a while, embodying wisdom, magic, and poetry. He is also considered a God of Death (a psychopomp), and of War. But this warrior aspect isn't uncommon in any of the Germanic deities.

I am also fond of Freyr God of Peace, Fertility and Plenty. This God is often considered to have founded the Swedish royal line as Freyr Ingvi
(Freyr is a title that means Lord).

Thor and Heimdallr have a special place as guardians and protectors as far as my interactions with them have gone. Lending strength and aid when in need.

Lastly, and not least is Freyja, the Goddess of love, fertility and battle. She also taught the Æsir and specifically Odin about the uses of magic. She rides in a chariot pulled by cats, and possesses the power of prophecy.

What's Midworld?
Midworld is here. What we see around us, the world. There are nine realms in total, but Midworld/gard is typically the center. -gard often means enclosed piece of land, territory or fortress.
What is the distinction between Alfar and Disir?
The biggest difference between the Alfar and the Disir is male vs female. The Alfar are male ancestor spirits (and where we get the term Elf/Elves) and the Disir are female ancestor spirits. The Alfar are often associated as guardians/givers of wisdom, and the Disir associated with Fate.

Which are your favorites? :)
Ooh, another question like the Gods, almost better answered with All of them lol. I've always been partial to the May feast (it's close to my birthday) and a liminal time when Nature is coming back alive; the Summer Solstice because yay Sun; Yule as a light of celebration in the Darkest point, and the February Feast as the days are finally noticeably longer than the nights.

I like that.

Which come the easiest to you? Which are the most difficult?

I would say that Piety, Perseverance and Hospitality are the easiest for me. Whereas moderation has always been something I need to pay much more attention to.

That sounds like a very rewarding practice.

Do you feel knowing these bits and practicing them connects you with the Ancestors at all?

It has been a very rewarding practice. And one I am keeping up :).

I think that these things connect me to not just the Ancestors, but aspects of all three Kindreds, especially the Nature Spirits. As it involves learning about them directly.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, that would have to have been the first time I read Greer's "The Druidry Handbook: Spiritual Practice Rooted in the Living Earth". There were quite a few ah-ha moments when reading that book. For instance, his pointing out the benefits of breaking out of dichotomous thinking, instead preferring a ternary (three sides) approach. He also gives a simple and easy to grasp introduction to meditation and breath focus.
That ternary idea was quite refreshing.
Odin has taken top spot for me for a while, embodying wisdom, magic, and poetry. He is also considered a God of Death (a psychopomp), and of War. But this warrior aspect isn't uncommon in any of the Germanic deities.
How did you become acquainted with Odin?
I am also fond of Freyr God of Peace, Fertility and Plenty. This God is often considered to have founded the Swedish royal line as Freyr Ingvi
(Freyr is a title that means Lord).
Does Freyr have a warrior aspect, too?
Thor and Heimdallr have a special place as guardians and protectors as far as my interactions with them have gone. Lending strength and aid when in need.

Lastly, and not least is Freyja, the Goddess of love, fertility and battle. She also taught the Æsir and specifically Odin about the uses of magic. She rides in a chariot pulled by cats, and possesses the power of prophecy.
Someone can herd cats after all. :D
Midworld is here. What we see around us, the world. There are nine realms in total, but Midworld/gard is typically the center. -gard often means enclosed piece of land, territory or fortress.
What are the other realms?
The biggest difference between the Alfar and the Disir is male vs female. The Alfar are male ancestor spirits (and where we get the term Elf/Elves) and the Disir are female ancestor spirits. The Alfar are often associated as guardians/givers of wisdom, and the Disir associated with Fate.
Interesting! Good to know!
Ooh, another question like the Gods, almost better answered with All of them lol. I've always been partial to the May feast (it's close to my birthday) and a liminal time when Nature is coming back alive; the Summer Solstice because yay Sun; Yule as a light of celebration in the Darkest point, and the February Feast as the days are finally noticeably longer than the nights.
It's nice they're spread pretty evenly... gives a person reason to keep celebrating.
I would say that Piety, Perseverance and Hospitality are the easiest for me. Whereas moderation has always been something I need to pay much more attention to.
That's a hard one for many.
It has been a very rewarding practice. And one I am keeping up :).

I think that these things connect me to not just the Ancestors, but aspects of all three Kindreds, especially the Nature Spirits. As it involves learning about them directly.
I do know you've lived in several different areas. How has it been getting to know Nature Spirits in different places?

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
That ternary idea was quite refreshing.
There's three sides to every story right? "Your side", "their side" and the truth.
How did you become acquainted with Odin?
Long story short: A Crow introduced me.

This crow friend landed next to me, and as I looked into it's eyes, it's spirit pierced my mind, and I instantly felt welcomed, loved, and understood. And with a whisper of "follow me" it disappeared.

It took me a bit of meditation, and journeying to narrow it down to Odin. I had thought it was a messenger from Morrigan originally, as that was the pantheon I had had the most experience with at the time, as Druidry tends to focus on Celtic sources. But she rebuked me, and informed me it was another.

I approached Odin in worship, and He responded positively. That's pretty much been it.

Does Freyr have a warrior aspect, too?
Yes, he does. He is a leader of armies and destined to fight the fire giant Surtr during Ragnarok. He also possesses a sword that fights by itself. He is also a God of Life & Death, as well as the turning of the seasons.

Someone can herd cats after all. :D
If anyone can it's Her :).

What are the other realms?
The other 8 realms are:

-Asgard, realm of the Æsir tribe of Gods.
-Vanaheim, realm of the Vanir tribe of Gods.
-Jotunheim, home of the Giants and Chaotic wilderness.
-Alfheim, home of the Alfar
-Niflheim, and Muspelheim, lands of mist/ice and fire respectively.
-Helheim, home of the Dead and Goddesses Hel.
-Nidavellir, the underground realm of the Dwarves.

It's nice they're spread pretty evenly... gives a person reason to keep celebrating.
Uh-huh, it's one of the reasons I appreciate their arrangement. They are spaced just far enough apart too, that each celebration really does feel like a different aspect of the seasons, and transitions between. It keeps the wheel moving forward.

I do know you've lived in several different areas. How has it been getting to know Nature Spirits in different places?
It's been interesting, but despite my mobile proclivities, I've only ever really been able to get to know the local Spirits of the PNW (I've been here for almost 13 years in total), and those that dwell deep out to Sea.

Japan did have some amazing shrines in areas where nature spirits still dwell, even amongst the hustle and bustle of places as busy as Tokyo one can find a Buddhist or Shinto space where the spirits still dwell.

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Is reincarnation from people to people or some other form of reincarnation

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Is reincarnation from people to people or some other form of reincarnation

So the Mythology is a bit scarce on the details.

But my personal belief is that it is up and down.

Meaning a person could become a higher spiritual Being such as a revered Ancestor (Alfar); or become animal, plant, mineral depending on one's cultivated personal character. Or stay and even come back as another human if you missed some lesson to be learned.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
There's three sides to every story right? "Your side", "their side" and the truth.
Well, there could be many sides, then... Though if I remember, there's encouragement in that book to experiment with numbers.
Long story short: A Crow introduced me.

This crow friend landed next to me, and as I looked into it's eyes, it's spirit pierced my mind, and I instantly felt welcomed, loved, and understood. And with a whisper of "follow me" it disappeared.
That's very moving. Does the sight of crows still affect you?
It took me a bit of meditation, and journeying to narrow it down to Odin. I had thought it was a messenger from Morrigan originally, as that was the pantheon I had had the most experience with at the time, as Druidry tends to focus on Celtic sources. But she rebuked me, and informed me it was another.

I approached Odin in worship, and He responded positively. That's pretty much been it.
Why do you think he chose you?
Yes, he does. He is a leader of armies and destined to fight the fire giant Surtr during Ragnarok. He also possesses a sword that fights by itself. He is also a God of Life & Death, as well as the turning of the seasons.
He's got quite a workload.
If anyone can it's Her :).

The other 8 realms are:

-Asgard, realm of the Æsir tribe of Gods.
-Vanaheim, realm of the Vanir tribe of Gods.
-Jotunheim, home of the Giants and Chaotic wilderness.
-Alfheim, home of the Alfar
-Niflheim, and Muspelheim, lands of mist/ice and fire respectively.
-Helheim, home of the Dead and Goddesses Hel.
-Nidavellir, the underground realm of the Dwarves.
That's very detailed!
Uh-huh, it's one of the reasons I appreciate their arrangement. They are spaced just far enough apart too, that each celebration really does feel like a different aspect of the seasons, and transitions between. It keeps the wheel moving forward.

It's been interesting, but despite my mobile proclivities, I've only ever really been able to get to know the local Spirits of the PNW (I've been here for almost 13 years in total), and those that dwell deep out to Sea.
Why do you think that you've only been able to bond with the spirits of these two places?
Japan did have some amazing shrines in areas where nature spirits still dwell, even amongst the hustle and bustle of places as busy as Tokyo one can find a Buddhist or Shinto space where the spirits still dwell.
What were some of the more memorable shrines you saw in Japan?