• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intuition

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have seen it put forth in more than one context that intuition is valuable. I've seen this applied in general, but also specifically in religious contexts.

My question is- what do you think? Is intuition valuable, and if so, in what way? Or does it get in the way of knowledge obtained through reason and justification?

In a religious or spiritual sense, do you find it valuable or not, and for what reason?

For reference, the definition of Intuition fro Dictionary.com.
–noun 1. direct perception of truth, fact, etc., independent of any reasoning process; immediate apprehension.

2. a fact, truth, etc., perceived in this way.

3. a keen and quick insight.

petewentz

Fallout Boy
I have seen it put forth in more than one context that intuition is valuable. I've seen this applied in general, but also specifically in religious contexts.

My question is- what do you think? Is intuition valuable, and if so, in what way? Or does it get in the way of knowledge obtained through reason and justification?

In a religious or spiritual sense, do you find it valuable or not, and for what reason?

–noun 1. direct perception of truth, fact, etc., independent of any reasoning process; immediate apprehension.

Using those definitions, I think it can lead to irrationality. Truth is very, very hard to define and as Hitchen's said, "I would be skeptical of anyone who said they had found absolute truth". It's too hard to define on it's own, so to have quick, or direct perception of something that hard to define would lead me to believe it's an irrational thought process.

I suppose the definition you posted deals more with absolute truth in the physical world, such as the truth that 2+2=4. I suppose then intuition is a valuable tool in one's ability to understand absolute ideas. I guess.

I hope I answered your question sufficiently, I don't really know so hopefully I can learn something from this thread.

tl;dr I'm stupid.

linwood

I believe intuition to be the belief in a thing/concept based upon tidbits of subtle evidence picked up on a subconscious or nearly subconscious level.

I do act on intuition but never drastically.

Intuition may lead me to want to "believe" in something but I reserve my belief until I can gather more objective/hard evidence to support that belief.

Intuition will lead me to look for that evidence.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Intuition is useful when it suggests an avenue of investigation or caution.
Of course, one shouldn't rely upon the thing itself, but rather be inspired by it.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I do not have a complete understanding of intuition. All I know is that I tend to be fairly intuitive- that is, understanding something without knowing why. In other words, some people will understand how a mechanism works based on all the parts and the science etc. but an intuitive person may not have a grasp on the 'parts' but just 'get it'.

An example is art or skill. Actually, I've recently learned to make espresso coffee (Aussie style). My teacher explained that there are two kinds of people that can make a good coffee: 1) the technical person who understands the maths and procedures, makes measurements and understands the machine intellectually and 2) the person who gets onto the machine and intuitively understands how to make the grind, the pour and the milk come together perfectly without any technical understanding. These 'intuitive' persons tend to be 'naturals'; with very little practice it just happens and the coffee comes out brilliantly.

So I guess I understand intuition as a sense or perception that occurs separately to a formulation of conscious intellectual process. And as I am not a very intellectual person and reply significantly on intuition, I definitely value it. Otherwise I'd be useless..

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Rationalists discount intuition. (obviously) Sometimes the area of the mind that intuition is present in is called the superconscious. There is a ton of stuff going on there that we are generally unaware of, because of anava, or ignorance, or 'the cloud' wrapped around the mind. A structured gridded intellect that has solidified actually acts against the process. Bhakti, faith, premonition, certain dreams, serendipity, and much more is flowing from the superconscious.

Personally, I rely on intuition more than intellect. Intellect is circular, and intuition is direct. Its also like a muscle, you can train it, and it gets better and more accurate with use. All those spontaneous 'it just clicked' times are part of it. The more you look for it, the more it works. Its far more accurate than reason, but you have to be able to allow yourself to allow it to do what it does best.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Since so much of the spiritual dimension of humanity is intuitive and not strictly intellectual, I'd say it's extremely important.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe intuition to be the belief in a thing/concept based upon tidbits of subtle evidence picked up on a subconscious or nearly subconscious level.

I do act on intuition but never drastically.

Intuition may lead me to want to "believe" in something but I reserve my belief until I can gather more objective/hard evidence to support that belief.

Intuition will lead me to look for that evidence.
This is basically my view as well. It can kind of lead towards things, but needs to be justified.

And I do agree that intuition is tidbits of subtle evidence picked up on a subconscious or nearly subconscious level. I think it's our accumulation of wisdom and experience on certain matters. Like, if some guy comes up to me, I might intuitively think "this guy is a creep" with no hard evidence, based on all previous creeps I've met. The conclusion happens based on experience without the prolonged thought process of consciously collecting and sorting previous experiences.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Rationalists discount intuition. (obviously) Sometimes the area of the mind that intuition is present in is called the superconscious. There is a ton of stuff going on there that we are generally unaware of, because of anava, or ignorance, or 'the cloud' wrapped around the mind. A structured gridded intellect that has solidified actually acts against the process. Bhakti, faith, premonition, certain dreams, serendipity, and much more is flowing from the superconscious.

Personally, I rely on intuition more than intellect. Intellect is circular, and intuition is direct. Its also like a muscle, you can train it, and it gets better and more accurate with use. All those spontaneous 'it just clicked' times are part of it. The more you look for it, the more it works. Its far more accurate than reason, but you have to be able to allow yourself to allow it to do what it does best.

Since so much of the spiritual dimension of humanity is intuitive and not strictly intellectual, I'd say it's extremely important.
So what do you two think about situations where intuition leads in opposite directions or to different conclusions?

Orias

Left Hand Path

In an empirical sense, I believe it is only valuable if it the end conclusion is right.

That leads me to a question though...is it still intuition even if it is false?

From a spiritual standpoint, yes I find it very valuable. Since intuition is the only sense in which we can base our external perception off of.

Personally, I view the only observable truth to be that of our Self. Fruition is a result of such Workings, and can only lead to a Self gratifying intuition and perception of the world and existence.

outhouse

Atheistically
an intuitive person may not have a grasp on the 'parts' but just 'get it'.

describes my life.

I can be labeled as extremely intuitive, to the point of almost being phychotic, I mean phychic :)

I was a top ranked mechanic due to my ability to fix easily what stumped others, without comebacks.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So what do you two think about situations where intuition leads in opposite directions or to different conclusions?

You mean opposite directions from reason? Not sure what you meant exactly., so I'll use my intuition to figure that's what you meant. (On-line sure isn't the best place.) When reason and intuition contradict, I usually wait things out, it that's possible. Its not smart to act on whims.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Great OP, Penumbra.

I agree with your definition of intuition as the sum of our experiences and wisdom, and skills as Madhuri mentioned, giving us a feel of a situation or decision. I think it could also be partly described as latent awareness or implicit knowledge - which roughly is doing or feeling something without quite knowing why.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Intuition is valuable as a guide, but that's all it is, and the guide can still be wrong. Properly reasoned arguments must be used if we want reliable conclusions.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I see it as essentially subconscious pattern recognition. The reliability of one's intuition depends on how well their mind pieces things together based on past experience.

I would generally be described as a highly rational person, yet in real day-to-day life, I rely on my intuition more than anything. Of course, I've learned to trust my intuition because it has repeatedly shown to be effective and accurate. I can also generally somewhat rationally explain the process behind my intuitive conclusion after the fact.

Intuition certainly isn't a replacement for reason, it's simply an additional tool you can use to navigate through life. This, of course, depends on reliable intuition, and, unfortunately, people are great at rationalizing the usefulness of something, even when the facts don't agree with their assessment.

People who eschew conscious rational thought for intution, and vice versa, are both blinding themselves to essential tools for life.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You mean opposite directions from reason? Not sure what you meant exactly., so I'll use my intuition to figure that's what you meant. (On-line sure isn't the best place.) When reason and intuition contradict, I usually wait things out, it that's possible. Its not smart to act on whims.
Rather than meaning opposite directions from reason, I meant, what do you think of situations where two or more people or groups utilize intuition that leads them in conflicting directions?

Wombat

My question is- what do you think? Is intuition valuable, and if so, in what way?

I don't have any contribution/insight on intuition in a religious context....but I did recently hear a review of a book devoted to the dangers of ignoring/over riding intuition.

The book gave account of several instances of people being alerted to danger/threat...their intuition allarm bells going off and hair standing on the back of their neck....and yet not responding because they thought the sensation was "irrational"-"paranoid" or that it would be "rude/bad manners" to extracate themselves from the situation.

In each case it ended ugly.

The consensus was that when intuition kicks in and rings the allarm-
RUN! :run:
.....you might end up looking embarrassed or stupid....but that's not the worst that can happen.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

'Intuition' spared me an early death.

As a passenger, in right front seat.... I 'felt' a need to do so...

I sought my seatbelt....it had slipped between the cushions to the floorboard behind my seat.
Unable to reach it, I locked my door.
Still uneasy, I slid down in the seat with my back to the door.

The driver asked if I felt ok.
I told him 'fine...drive the car....'

Someone pulled out, in front of us, attempting a left hand turn.
My driver never got a chance to reflex....no skid marks.
60 mph to a drop stop...no seat belt.

Had I been sitting upright...I would have gone through the windshield.
(that would have been a sure kill).

Having responded to my 'feelings'....
I slipped forward and the glove box caught my face.
I have only one scar...all the way through my lip.
One tooth needed a root canal...years later.