• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intuition

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Rather than meaning opposite directions from reason, I meant, what do you think of situations where two or more people or groups utilize intuition that leads them in conflicting directions?

What kind of situations, Penumbra?

And I've been wondering what you mean by intuition in religious contexts. In Christianity, people often say God or the Holy Spirit guided a decision. I think the Holy Spirit is a person's conscience or intuition, or sometimes luck. Is this an example of what you mean?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Many people I've talked to or read from have said that reason alone is not sufficient to determine religious truth. Intuition, insight, or any number of similar words are often put forth as necessary.

But I've seen it in many contexts. For instance, I've seen Hindus assert that through intuition, one will eventually realize Atman = Brahman, or some similar metaphysical conclusion. But on the same token, I've seen Christians assert that, deep down, knowledge of Jesus or God is inside of everyone.

There are people of rather diametrically opposed conclusions suggesting that intuition is what got them there.

And I've been wondering what you mean by intuition in religious contexts. In Christianity, people often say God or the Holy Spirit guided a decision. I think the Holy Spirit is a person's conscience or intuition, or sometimes luck. Is this an example of what you mean?
Sort of, but see above.

I remember when I was younger, I thought my conscience was communication with god, but when I grew away from religion and especially away from theism, I concluded this was not the case at all. This is especially so since many people have consciences that differ greatly from mine. For instance, one person can have a big, warm, hug-able god concept, while another has a stern, angry, justice-loving god concept, and both of them look at their gods as common-sense or intuitive conclusions. I view them as reflections of the person's character, rather than intuition.

waitasec

Veteran Member

like to today for instance...
2 separate groups utilized their intuition that lead them to conflicting directions today being doomsday...?

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Many people I've talked to or read from have said that reason alone is not sufficient to determine religious truth. Intuition, insight, or any number of similar words are often put forth as necessary.

But I've seen it in many contexts. For instance, I've seen Hindus assert that through intuition, one will eventually realize Atman = Brahman, or some similar metaphysical conclusion. But on the same token, I've seen Christians assert that, deep down, knowledge of Jesus or God is inside of everyone.

There are people of rather diametrically opposed conclusions suggesting that intuition is what got them there.

Oh, I see. It seems we use our intuitions to deal directly with our own experiences, and that often leads to conflicting results.

I remember when I was younger, I thought my conscience was communication with god, but when I grew away from religion and especially away from theism, I concluded this was not the case at all. This is especially so since many people have consciences that differ greatly from mine. For instance, one person can have a big, warm, hug-able god concept, while another has a stern, angry, justice-loving god concept, and both of them look at their gods as common-sense or intuitive conclusions. I view them as reflections of the person's character, rather than intuition.

I thought the same when I was younger.

lunakilo

I have seen it put forth in more than one context that intuition is valuable. I've seen this applied in general, but also specifically in religious contexts.

My question is- what do you think? Is intuition valuable, and if so, in what way? Or does it get in the way of knowledge obtained through reason and justification?

In a religious or spiritual sense, do you find it valuable or not, and for what reason?

For reference, the definition of Intuition fro Dictionary.com.
–noun 1. direct perception of truth, fact, etc., independent of any reasoning process; immediate apprehension.

2. a fact, truth, etc., perceived in this way.

3. a keen and quick insight.
I would say that intuition is simply your brain putting 2 and 2 together without you having to consciously be aware of it.
That is, your brain contains a lot of knowledge/experience and your brain is turned on even if you are not logicly considering a problem, so sometimes the brain suggest solutions even if you didn't ask it for any.

I think what I just said fits your definition.

I think Intuition is very valuable when you have to make quick decisions or when you have to make a decision but don't have all the facts. Since when it comes to religion you don't usually have all the facts I think Intuition is probably important when it comes to religon and spirituality.

But it is very important not to blindly trust your Intuition.
The brain takes short cuts and somtimes adds 2 and 2 and gets 5.
If you trust your Intuition to much I think it can as you say 'get in the way of knowledge obtained through reason and justification'.

I think that in situations where you don't need to make a quick decision it is important to double check what your Intuition tells you and if it doesn't add up, reject it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
like to today for instance...
2 separate groups utilized their intuition that lead them to conflicting directions today being doomsday...?

Not sure if that was intuition. Wasn't it based on interpretations of a certain book?

Sure there are people who go about claiming to be intuitive who really have no clue, but that's not true intuition. My 'intuition' said it wasn't going to happen. But that wasn't my intuition either, it was just logic.

So then what is intuition? I'll give a couple of examples.

- You're driving along a strange road, and for no particular reason you decide to stop at a certain restaurant. You actually go past it and turn around because you have this 'feeling'. A relative you haven't seen in a few years who isn't local either is also there.

Some will just explain these as coincidence, but what is not explained by that is the strong gut feeling you had.

You're at work, and you feel something is wrong at home, so you phone. Sure enough, something is wrong. A child was injured or some such thing.

I can go on and on, but you get the point. Things could all be explained away by some sort of randomness logic. But that's why the debate can't be properly concluded. The areas of mind putting out the 'arguments' are too far apart.

Last edited:

lunamoth

Will to love
I have seen it put forth in more than one context that intuition is valuable. I've seen this applied in general, but also specifically in religious contexts.

My question is- what do you think? Is intuition valuable, and if so, in what way? Or does it get in the way of knowledge obtained through reason and justification?
Going along with definition 3 I think intuition is valuable because sometimes we need to react quickly before we have to time reason carefully, weigh all of the evidence and odds, etc.. Intuition has probably saved many from being eaten by tigers.

In a religious or spiritual sense, do you find it valuable or not, and for what reason?
Personally, I don't see how it applies to religion or spirituality. Interestingly, though, I have heard scientists describe how they came up with new hypotheses through what they would call intuition, or some kind of sub-conscious reasoning. The idea just seems to pop into your head. After the intuitive idea, experimentation may or may not show the idea as being valid.

For reference, the definition of Intuition fro Dictionary.com.
–noun 1. direct perception of truth, fact, etc., independent of any reasoning process; immediate apprehension.

2. a fact, truth, etc., perceived in this way.

3. a keen and quick insight.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Not sure if that was intuition. Wasn't it based on interpretations of a certain book?

Sure there are people who go about claiming to be intuitive who really have no clue, but that's not true intuition. My 'intuition' said it wasn't going to happen. But that wasn't my intuition either, it was just logic.

So then what is intuition? I'll give a couple of examples.

- You're driving along a strange road, and for no particular reason you decide to stop at a certain restaurant. You actually go past it and turn around because you have this 'feeling'. A relative you haven't seen in a few years who isn't local either is also there.

Some will just explain these as coincidence, but what is not explained by that is the strong gut feeling you had.

You're at work, and you feel something is wrong at home, so you phone. Sure enough, something is wrong. A child was injured or some such thing.

I can go on and on, but you get the point. Things could all be explained away by some sort of randomness logic. But that's why the debate can't be properly concluded. The areas of mind putting out the 'arguments' are too far apart.

oh i totally get it...
but i also think intuition is also subjected within the confines of a belief system.
this is an example i witnessed many times when i was an evangelical believer...

guy- "god told me he wants us to get married"
girl- "he didn't tell me that"

it could be an intuition that he truly feels
:)

edit:

i just came across this
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...ypse_shocked_when_doomsday_time_passes_w.html

this guy spent 140,000 on advertisement for the apocalypse... was that his intuition telling him he should because he was truly concerned about peoples souls?
see this guy had faith and followed through because he followed a compelling feeling, his intuition.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
guy- "god told me he wants us to get married"
girl- "he didn't tell me that"

it could be an intuition that he truly feels
:)

This reminds me of my parents' story.

The first time my dad saw my mother (from a distance) he was overcome with the sense of knowledge that she would be his wife. He quickly dismissed the feeling and went on with his work.
After years of not even talking to one another (my parents were 'monks' at a temple for many years) my mother decided she wanted to marry and asked the head of the temple to marry dad. The next day, my dad went and asked to marry her. It was a complete coincidence.

waitasec

Veteran Member
This reminds me of my parents' story.

The first time my dad saw my mother (from a distance) he was overcome with the sense of knowledge that she would be his wife. He quickly dismissed the feeling and went on with his work.
After years of not even talking to one another (my parents were 'monks' at a temple for many years) my mother decided she wanted to marry and asked the head of the temple to marry dad. The next day, my dad went and asked to marry her. It was a complete coincidence.

oh, thats a sweet story...:)

don't get me wrong...i think when we follow our intuition is when we are being honest with our selves and follow our gut feelings about things...

youfaith

Intuition is subjective from person to person. If intuition feels right and does not bring harm to others, then it may be valuable.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think intuition is probably a kind of information processing that takes place outside of consciousness. If so, it has a lot of company. For instance, it appears that we also make decisions outside of consciousness.