• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iranian rapper Toomaj Salehi was jailed after he called out the Islamic Republic. Now he's facing the death penalty (For debate)

Tinkerpeach

Given the definition of altruism I gave you, could you explain how having emotions is relevant to it?

I think at some point you are going to have to clarify that you are using a different definition of altruism to the one I'm using and thus we are talking past each other.

I'm not making claims about the definition you are using. I am saying as per the definition I have provided it appears to exist in humans in my view.
Yes that is exactly the case.

I’ve never seen that definition you put up.

danieldemol

Premium Member

'Altruism, as observed in populations of organisms, is when an individual performs an action at a cost to itself (in terms of e.g. pleasure and quality of life, time, probability of survival or reproduction) that benefits, directly or indirectly, another individual, without the expectation of reciprocity or compensation for that action.[4]'

Source: Altruism - Wikipedia

stevecanuck

But why are they putting their life at risk?

They do so because that is what they want to do.

After reading all of your posts to this point, I have concluded that you simply don't know the difference between 'wanting to' and feeling that the greater good is more important than one life - even his own. This is absolutely an example of altruism.

stevecanuck

....And "corruption on earth" sounds like the invention of madmen. No wonder people are dissenting against their government.

Islamic regimes don't have to invent atrocious laws, they just have to read the Qur'an.

The phrase "corruption on earth" ('fasad f'il ardi' in Arabic) appears 25 times (by my count) in the Qur'an, and always in terms of what we nasty infidels do. Verse 16:88 is a good example - Sahih International: "Those who disbelieved and averted [others] from the way of Allah - We will increase them in punishment over [their] punishment for what corruption they were causing."

Verse 5:33 prescribes the death penalty for those guilty of committing 'fasad f'il ardi' - Sahih International: "Indeed, the penalty for those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and strive upon earth [to cause] corruption is none but that they be killed or crucified or that their hands and feet be cut off from opposite sides or that they be exiled from the land." Two dots - one straight line.

Tinkerpeach

Given the definition of altruism I gave you, could you explain how having emotions is relevant to it?

I think at some point you are going to have to clarify that you are using a different definition of altruism to the one I'm using and thus we are talking past each other.

I'm not making claims about the definition you are using. I am saying as per the definition I have provided it appears to exist in humans in my view.

After reading all of your posts to this point, I have concluded that you simply don't know the difference between 'wanting to' and feeling that the greater good is more important than one life - even his own. This is absolutely an example of altruism.
yes but they still wouldn’t do it if it’s not what they wanted to do.

Am I wrong about that?

And doing something because you want it is selfishness described.

stevecanuck

yes but they still wouldn’t do it if it’s not what they wanted to do.

Am I wrong about that?

And doing something because you want it is selfishness described.

Does that mean that the enlistees who found themselves storming the beaches of Normandy "wanted to" do that? Anyway, you seem incapable of grasping a very straight forward concept, so I'll leave you to it.

Tinkerpeach

Does that mean that the enlistees who found themselves storming the beaches of Normandy "wanted to" do that? Anyway, you seem incapable of grasping a very straight forward concept, so I'll leave you to it.
Yes they did.

They wanted to storm that beach for whatever reason was important to them.

Whatever that reason was is something they desired more than facing death on the beach.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Your not looking very hard in my view.
After quoting it to you in post number 34 I repeated it in post #42

Here it is again;
'Altruism, as observed in populations of organisms, is when an individual performs an action at a cost to itself (in terms of e.g. pleasure and quality of life, time, probability of survival or reproduction) that benefits, directly or indirectly, another individual, without the expectation of reciprocity or compensation for that action.[4]'

If you claim you haven't seen my definition again after reading this post we are done (Cant reason with people who cant read).

Tinkerpeach

Your not looking very hard in my view.
After quoting it to you in post number 34 I repeated it in post #42

Here it is again;

If you claim you haven't seen my definition again after reading this post we are done (Cant reason with people who cant read).
I meant that prior to you posting it I had never seen it described that way.