• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is a fetus human?

Is a fetus human?

• Yes

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
You are what you eat.

logo-footer.png

Curious George

Veteran Member
It's the beginning of human life, so it is inherently human.
So, a human is a single called organism? Or a single called organism can be huma? If the latter, what are the qualifications of something to be human?

And what makes life count as life while we are at it?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
You are what you eat.
But think of this. Your body contains billions of living bacterial cells, that are not your cells. These bacterial cells do not share your DNA, to them you are merely a host, you are the environment in which they live. And when you stand on a scale, anywhere between 40% to 60% of that weight, is not you - it is them. :eek:

Curious George

Veteran Member
But think of this. Your body contains billions of living bacterial cells, that are not your cells. These bacterial cells do not share your DNA, to them you are merely a host, you are the environment in which they live. And when you stand on a scale, anywhere between 40% to 60% of that weight, is not you - it is them. :eek:
And yet without these, would we exist?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
the word human, in human fetus describes the genus of the fetus.
In the same way human child or human adult does.
Human needs to be qualified, as in human being, to make any sense.
A human fetus clearly is not yet a human being, nor does it have the rights of one.

However many religions and countries do ascribe moral rights to unborn children. And place duties of care on the parents.

Curious George

Veteran Member
the word human, in human fetus describes the genus of the fetus.
In the same way human child or human adult does.
Human needs to be qualified, as in human being, to make any sense.
A human fetus clearly is not yet a human being, nor does it have the rights of one.

However many religions and countries do ascribe moral rights to unborn children. And place duties of care on the parents.
What differentiates a human being from a fetus?

Curious George

Veteran Member
Of course not. But the point is that there is something inside a human body, that is not human.

(Actually I don't even know what my point is, I just think it is neat :D)
If something cannot exist without another thing are they pragmatically distinguishable. Sure we can technically distinguish parts from a whole, but why label some parts as the whole when it is not so?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
A person kneels at the grave of a past ancestor, and lays a flower. Is that ancestor a human?
I pray and write letters to the Virgin Mary, murdered girls , and a litany of dead people and feel closer to them than my family, and believe they speak to me through visions, dreams, signs, and coincidence, so I'm the wrong person to ask :D

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Humans were human long before DNA was discovered. I am human regardless of DNA. The fetus is human in the same way the ancestor, long turned to dust, is human.

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
So, a human is a single called organism? Or a single called organism can be huma? If the latter, what are the qualifications of something to be human?

And what makes life count as life while we are at it?
Yes, they are human because they are the beginnings of human life. Life is sacred and is the most sacred form of creation (just to let you know where and why I stand on this).

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Humans were human long before DNA was discovered.
Q. Before Mount Everest was discovered, what was the highest mountain on earth?

A. Mount Everest.
It was still there, it was the highest mountain on earth even if we did not know it.

Likewise, DNA existed long before we discovered it. And at least in many of the arguments put forth to say a fetus is human, it is assumed that the DNA is what makes us human

The fetus is human in the same way the ancestor, long turned to dust, is human.
And would that be the same way in which a tomato is a suspension bridge? (that is to say - not)