• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is anyone really innocent?

Faint

PureX said:
The police have nothing to do with forgiveness. No one is suggesting that because we forgive others, that we allow them to do whatever they want. You're confusing forgiveness with non-responsibility.
Nooo...you said,
It's best that I leave questions about guilt and innocense to "God",
What do you think the cops job is? They look for the guilty and try to avoid locking up the innocent. What do you think the courts do? They pronounce people "guilty" or "innocent". To leave "judgement" to God is to imply that people should not judge other people...therefore police could not judge people as perpetrators, and judges would be out of a job all around.

Would you like to rephrase?

Faint

Ðanisty said:
I'm sorry but in my book, the minute some makes the decision to commit serial rape, they cease to be a person and become a monster.
Thank you! Exactly.

PureX

Veteran Member
Faint said:
And if you love a violent serial rapist, and you also love your significant other...what then is the value of that love. Seems worthless to me. Or are we now talking about different degrees of love?

The Master has no mind of her own.
She works with the mind of the people.

She is good to people who are good.
She is also good to people who aren't good.
This is true goodness.

She trusts people who are trustworthy.
She also trusts people who aren't trustworthy.
This is true trust.

The Master's mind is like this.
People don't understand her.
They look to her and wait.
She treats them like her own children.

- from the Tao te Ching​
Faint said:
And why do all people deserve forgiveness?
It isn't so much that we deserve it. It's that we are not capable of making such decisions. We forgive because it's not our place to judge and punish. We love because we can, and because love is good, not because someone deserves it. We forgive because we can, and because forgiveness heals us.

But just because I forgive you for stealing my lawn mower doesn't mean I don't want the lawn mower back, or that you should not be held accountable for breaking our society's laws.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Faint said:
And if you love a violent serial rapist, and you also love your significant other...what then is the value of that love. Seems worthless to me.
How do you figure?

Faint said:
Or are we now talking about different degrees of love?
As was said earlier, we are talking about one part of love, or what it is to love. I've forgiven my "significant" other already (instantly, in fact) for the nasty things that were perpetrated in the past.

Faint said:
Why don't they?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Faint said:
And if you love a violent serial rapist, and you also love your significant other...what then is the value of that love. Seems worthless to me. Or are we now talking about different degrees of love?

Ah, I don't think anyone has responded to your comments Faint.

Loving the violent serial rapist is the priviledge of the theist. That love is totally different from my love for my significant other.

My love for the rapist is love from one brother to another; understanding that the rapist has some dreadful compulsion. Love the sinner, hate the sin? that kind of thing.

I remember going through a discussion with another member on this Forum (ages ago) when we agreed that a Christian (I shan't speak for all Christian denominations, because I may be wrong) can justify loving Hitler, whilst hating the sins (and the dreadful repercussions) he comitted.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Ðanisty said:
I'm sorry but in my book, the minute some makes the decision to commit serial rape, they cease to be a person and become a monster.
To demonize the person does no good, except in that it makes you feel better.

Ðanisty

Willamena said:
To demonize the person does no good, except in that it makes you feel better.
I'm not demonizing them...they've reduced themselves to less than scum with their own behavior. Besides, I have a lot more respect for demons than serial rapists.. Incidentally, I don't need to do anything to make myself feel better than a serial rapist...I am better than a serial rapist.

Faint

PureX said:
The Master has no mind of her own.

She works with the mind of the people.

She is good to people who are good.
She is also good to people who aren't good.
This is true goodness.

She trusts people who are trustworthy.
She also trusts people who aren't trustworthy.
This is true trust.

The Master's mind is like this.
People don't understand her.
They look to her and wait.
She treats them like her own children.
- from the Tao te Ching​
Okaaay...but you didn't answer my question. I'll repeat: And if you love a violent serial rapist, and you also love your significant other...what then is the value of that love?
PureX said:
It isn't so much that we deserve it. It's that we are not capable of making such decisions.
Of course we're capable. Humans have the capacity for reason...certainly we can reason out who is guilty of what, especially when it's obvious.

PureX said:
We forgive because it's not our place to judge and punish. We love because we can, and because love is good, not because someone deserves it. We forgive because we can, and because forgiveness heals us.
So by this reasoning, we also hate because we can, and it's logical to hate even if someone does not deserve it? Are you telling me that if we can do something it's right? I'm pretty sure I have the ability to kill people, since my hands are in working order. Should I? I mean, you'll still love me right? Even if I killed your family? It's not your place to judge my murderous actions...right?

PureX said:
But just because I forgive you for stealing my lawn mower doesn't mean I don't want the lawn mower back, or that you should not be held accountable for breaking our society's laws.
Holding people accountable is an act of judgment (otherwise how would you determine who specifically is accountable?) You now seem to be contradicting yourself.

Faint

Willamena said:
How do you figure?
If you love your significant other as much as you love a serial rapist, that love is has no value to anyone. It's empty. Meaningless. It means you have no more regard for the sig. other than the lowest of human beings. In other words, when you say, "I love you" to the sig. other, and you say "I love you" to the rapist...you have told neither anything special. You could just as easily have said to both "I observe your existence" or "I am breathing right now". It's all around pointless.

Unless you want to tell me there are different "degrees" of love (see Michel's post).

Willamena said:
As was said earlier, we are talking about one part of love, or what it is to love. I've forgiven my "significant" other already (instantly, in fact) for the nasty things that were perpetrated in the past.
Please explain this better as it's confusing. What "part" of love are you talking about? How many parts are there. Which parts are given to serial rapists and which to your sig. other...or do they get equal amounts of love. Also did these "nasty things" include raping several dozen people, maybe a little murder here and there?

Willamena said:
Why don't they?
Forgiving everyone no matter what makes no sense on a rational level. Giving up resentment or a claim to requital for an extreme wrong done is no way to run a society. Pardoning everyone, all people--no matter what their crimes are--would breed absolute chaos. Scenario: murderer kills a family (yours actually). You forgive him. The cops forgive him. Yay! Warm fuzzy feelings. So, he goes out and kills some more people, again, and again, and again, etc. Does that sound like a good world to live in? It should be obvious that your point is logically flawed. So again I put the burden of proof to you...why do all people deserve forgiveness?

Faint

michel said:
Ah, I don't think anyone has responded to your comments Faint.

Loving the violent serial rapist is the priviledge of the theist. That love is totally different from my love for my significant other.

My love for the rapist is love from one brother to another; understanding that the rapist has some dreadful compulsion. Love the sinner, hate the sin? that kind of thing.

I remember going through a discussion with another member on this Forum (ages ago) when we agreed that a Christian (I shan't speak for all Christian denominations, because I may be wrong) can justify loving Hitler, whilst hating the sins (and the dreadful repercussions) he comitted.
So love by your reasoning is what? The acknowledgment and acceptance of another human being's capacity for weakness/lack-of-self-control/violence/anti-social behavior/disregard-for-other-human-lives? If so, why label this as love. We already have a better word for it..."understanding". You can understand a person and what they do...but you don't have to like them or their actions.

PureX

Veteran Member
Faint said:
Okaaay...but you didn't answer my question. I'll repeat: And if you love a violent serial rapist, and you also love your significant other...what then is the value of that love?[/CENTER]
Love is it's own value. It's value is not dependent upon the guilt or innocence of the recipient.
Faint said:
Of course we're capable. Humans have the capacity for reason...certainly we can reason out who is guilty of what, especially when it's obvious.
We can sometimes figure out who has committed a criminal act. We don't however, have the capacity to determine the meaning of that act relative to the value of the perpetrator, or the victim. For example: person "A" kills person "B", so we must lock up person "A" up before he kills someone else. We aren't better or worse that person "A" because we have determined that he killed person "B". We aren't better or worse than person "A" because we can lock him up. Nor are we better than person "A" because we have not killed anyone and he has. We may THINK we are, but we have no way of knowing that what we think about it is true.
Faint said:
So by this reasoning, we also hate because we can, ...
Yes, we do.
Faint said:
... and it's logical to hate even if someone does not deserve it?
What's logical about hate?
Faint said:
Are you telling me that if we can do something it's right?
No, I'm saying that forgiveness heals. Healing is good for us, and so forgiveness is good for us. We forgive because we can, and because it's good for us. We hate because we can, too, but hate isn't good for us, so why do it?
Faint said:
... pretty sure I have the ability to kill people, since my hands are in working order. Should I? I mean, you'll still love me right? Even if I killed your family? It's not your place to judge my murderous actions...right?
Right. But that doesn't mean I won't try to stop you from killing, or that you won't be locked up or even possibly executed for your crimes.
Faint said:
Holding people accountable is an act of judgment (otherwise how would you determine who specifically is accountable?) You now seem to be contradicting yourself.
I realize it looks this way to you, but that's because you can't see that holding people accountable for their actions is not necessarily the same as judging and condemning them. It's simply an act of pragmatism. Societies lock people up for wrongful killing because doing so is necessary for the peace and well-being of society, not because it's "evil". People may believe that wrongful killing is evil, but they can't prove this. They can, however, prove that it's detrimental to the peace and well-being of the society.

Laws aren't about "right" and "wrong". Laws are about establishing and maintaining the peace and well-being of the society that enacts and enforces them. That's why forgiveness does not effect social and legal responsibility.