• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being a heretic such a bad thing?

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I'm proud to consider myself a Christian Heretic. I don't know enough about other religions to claim the title, but it would probably fit just as well.

"A heretic is someone whose beliefs or actions are considered wrong by most people, because they disagree with beliefs that are generally accepted."

Synonyms: nonconformist, dissident, separatist,
-- how about free individual, open-minded -- seeker of all knowledge?

So I'm not just a "religious heretic." I'm a political one as well.

What about you? Good or Bad?

Spice

Hinduism's pretty open. I'm not sure its possible to be a Hindu heretic. (Not saying it isn't, just that if there is a way, I'm unaware of it.)
So what about non-belief in the various gods? Though, since there are 33 million Hindu gods, or more, perhaps I view them more as saints? I really know very little, but learning bits and pieces is fascinating.

Spice

I'm considering founding the Unorthodox Church of Yeshua of Galilee...I haven't heard anything official yet, but I'm sure some Christians will brand me as a heretic...
I like that idea! Can we just get together in a meeting session and set-up committees and projects to actually DO things? Though I wouldn't be against singing a little Unorthodox hymns like maybe Glen Campbell's "Try a Little Kindness", or "Lean On Me" by Bill Withers.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Christianity and Islam traditionally have strict views about heresy. Others don't AFAIK

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I have heretic displayed in my title, and I see that as a good thing.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
So what about non-belief in the various gods? Though, since there are 33 million Hindu gods, or more, perhaps I view them more as saints? I really know very little, but learning bits and pieces is fascinating.
Its perfectly acceptable to be a Hindu atheist.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
So that would be similar to Buddhist?
Hinduism kinda gives you the power to decide your form of divinity, and how important it is. This could vary from your every action revolving around your chosen God/s, or not believing in any at all.

The divine doesn't seem to have much emphasis at all in Buddhism.

Spice

I suppose it depends on nature of the heresy. There are a few definitions of "heretic." Some religious, some Catholic, and some secular.
Views as deemed as wrong -- non-conformist, etc. But I, think I see your point. An heretical humanitarian would be bad, in my view. Ummm?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Hinduism kinda gives you the power to decide your form of divinity, and how important it is. This could vary from your every action revolving around your chosen God/s, or not believing in any at all.

The divine is considered to be the four immeasurable states of mind:

Spice

The divine is considered to be the four immeasurable states of mind:
It was a nice, interesting read until I hit this part: " Even if one is not a disciple, one will still attain the heavenly life, after which, however depending on what his past deeds may have been, one may be reborn in a hell realm, or as an animal or hungry ghost."

I need to stick with rebirths being progressively forward, even while learning lessons from bad thoughts/actions of previous lives. The whole concept of hell, beyond the sufferings of worldly life, just feels like a human-made fear tactic.

But I truly appreciate the link. I very much like the four divine abodes, or the four Brahmaviharas. They make perfect sense to me.

Spice

I very much adhere to the belief of freedom in conceptualizing "God" in a personal, meaningful way. I didn't think Buddhism put much store in diety.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"A heretic is someone whose beliefs or actions are considered wrong by most people, because they disagree with beliefs that are generally accepted."
What about you? Good or Bad?
Hindu and heretic. Perfectly OK. Not believing in God, soul, heaven, hell, judgment, birth, rebirth, death and existence of the universe.
Though what I believe does not really go against Hinduism.